Topics

DCI working group proposal

Middleton, Dan

Near the end of 2018 there were some discussions on TSC calls about having a Community Health Working Group or Task Force. Feedback at the time was that the idea needed to be developed further, so a group of people interested in this topic has been meeting since then to evolve the concept. Following several months of work, that group proposes creating a community-led Diversity, Civility, and Inclusion (DCI) Working Group.

The full proposal for the working group is here:

https://wiki.hyperledger.org/display/HYP/Diversity+Civility+and+Inclusion+Working+Group

We invite your review and feedback.

Thanks,

DCI Working Group Proposers

Middleton, Dan

Thanks for the robust discussion on the DCI proposal in the July 11th TSC meeting.

In summary and further clarification of points raised:

We believe we can make a positive change in our community. We believe that there are a number of mechanisms through which we could do that and that after months of deliberation a community-led working group is the best mechanism.

Some asked whether the Governing Board ought to do this rather than the TSC. There’s opportunity at every level to contribute. The ability of the Governing Board to act does not preclude the TSC from action. Moreover, the only action that the TSC is asked to take at this point is to approve a community-led working group.

Furthermore, should the Governing Board wish to explore DCI, they would likely need to charter some body themselves to study the issue and form recommendations. This would bring us back to this exact situation. Finally we believe an effort rooted in the technical community is most in fitting with an open source organization and most likely to create impact.

Some questions about Governing Board engagement stemmed from questions about policy and enforcement. This working group may recommend policy, but in general it is our aim to understand the composition of our community and to create awareness and recommendations which are actionable by individual contributors.

A couple other point questions that arose..

Members Summit: Karen Ottoni previously researched and found there is not schedule available at the Summit for a DCI meeting.

DCI Subject Matter Experts: are very welcome. As some observed, each of our companies probably has experts in this space, and we would appreciate you recruiting them to join our effort. (Incidentally, this recruitment request has been regularly made to the Board).

We look forward to any further questions and suggestions to refine the proposal ahead of the next TSC Meeting July 18th.

Intel Principal Engineer