Topics

How can we improve diversity in the Hyperledger technical community?

Bob Summerwill <bob@...>

Further to this earlier thread:
https://lists.hyperledger.org/g/tsc/message/1591

And ...
  • All 29 TSC candidates are male.
  • All 11 existing TSC members are male.
  • Of the HL governing board 20/21 are male too, with the sole exception being Blythe Masters, the Chair.
Brian said ...

Thank you for bringing this up Bob, I agree that more can be done.

We are always open to ideas for more we could be doing as Linux Foundation staff on this project.  Diversity on the 10 internships we funded this cycle is greater than the below (I believe it's 3 out of the 10 but need to check).  We have provided support for a number of diversity-focused blockchain events and general computer industry events.  Let's start a new thread for any ideas folks might have about other approaches that can help.

--

Dan O'Prey

Thanks for raising this issue, Bob.

On this subject, I reached out to she(256) (great name) a couple of days ago. I have not yet been able to evaluate but have seen some positive signals from those in the community on twitter, so thought worth exploring. I will report back here if there's a meaningful way Hyperledger can contribute, but if anyone in this group has experience, please do share.

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 6:22 PM Bob Summerwill <bob@...> wrote:
[...]

Chief Marketing Officer
c: +1 646-647-5957
e: dan@...
Digital Asset Holdings, LLC
96 Spring Street, 7th Floor
New York, NY 10012
digitalasset.com

This message, and any attachments, is for the intended recipient(s) only, may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or proprietary and subject to important terms and conditions available at http://www.digitalasset.com/emaildisclaimer.html. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message.

bill

Hi Bob,
I am unclear if any females nominated themselves or were nominated?  Indeed a problem.  Elections happen and don’t always go as hoped.  Therefore, I propose the following for discussion:

1.  Perhaps a temp solution is to appoint an agreed number of at large TSC members selected by the LF and TSC.  I recognize this gets into governance but likely worth the effort.

2.  Query the WG’s and projects for at large candidates that currently display avid participation within the HL umbrella.

Just a thought,

Bill

On Aug 21, 2018, at 17:21, Bob Summerwill <bob@...> wrote:

[...]

Dan - She(256) are great, yes.  I am personally involved with CryptoChicks, and am in contact with various other organizations working towards similar goals.
William - No women self-nominated.  Looking back through prior TSC elections, I don't think any women have ever self-nominated.

Before we get to solutions, I would like to ask the women of Hyperledger - how can we help?

https://bobsummerwill.com/2018/08/22/women-of-hyperledger-how-can-i-help-you/

There must be women on this mailing list.   They are who I would really like to hear from on this topic.

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 4:47 PM, William Sparks <wsparks@...> wrote:
[...]

Bob
I'm reading along from vacation and very glad to hear some truth being spoken on this sorry topic.
I'm also conscious that although I may be a lone female "role model" in the Hyperledger governance structure, I'm not an engineer or developer, so hardly have a recipe for navigation based on my own experience. What I've learned from the financial sector also reinforces that this is a very hard problem to address.
This is bigger than a Hyperledger problem of course, but we can and should make an effort given the platform we have, and I have already asked Brian to put the topic on the agenda at our next governing board meeting.
Please do all keep suggestions coming.
Dan (O'Prey) and I have been discussing ok ur own ideas.
Rgds
Blythe

Blythe Masters
Chief Executive Officer
c: +1 917 880 7829
e: blythe@...

On Aug 22, 2018, at 1:33 PM, Bob Summerwill <bob@...> wrote:

[...]

Jonathan Levi

Blythe and others,

Right on! Will be happy to discuss, address and back/support ANY potential measure on that front.

Enjoy your break!
-- Jonathan

On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 11:01 AM, Blythe Masters via Lists.Hyperledger.Org
<blythe=digitalasset.com@...> wrote:
[...]

Middleton, Dan

Two early thoughts came to mind. First, it is pretty easy for us to always convey an “all are welcome here” message in our presentations and meetings – explicitly in text and verbally when we present Hyperledger. (example logo btw that is seen frequently in my part of the world https://allarewelcomehere.us/). Think about how often we put up the anti-trust notice. Would it be impactful to make this message as frequent?

Second, I am under the impression that many Hyperledger member companies have not yet determined how they will contribute beyond dues. We have the upcoming members summit and I think the general health of the community would be improved by more direct participation from our members (code, work group papers, etc.). Certainly a call for that participation to reflect the diversity of their workforces would help our immediate issue.

Regards,
Dan

From: <tsc@...> on behalf of Jonathan Levi <jonathan@...>
Date: Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 1:10 PM
To: "blythe@..." <blythe@...>, "Blythe Masters via Lists.Hyperledger.Org" <blythe=digitalasset.com@...>, "bob@..." <bob@...>
Cc: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Subject: Re: [Hyperledger TSC] How can we improve diversity in the Hyperledger technical community?

[...]

Blythe >> This is bigger than a Hyperledger problem of course, but we can and should
Blythe >> make an effort given the platform we have, and I have already asked Brian to put the topic on the agenda at our next governing board meeting.

Great to see you here, Blythe!  Thanks for your input and yes, discussing this at the next governing board meeting would be a great place to start.

Dan - both of your suggestions (allarewelcomehere and member summit) make sense to me.   Lack of member engagement was a common problem in my time at the EEA as well.  Everyone has their own business to run and many of the smaller companies don't have the resources to do as much as they would like.  There are many female blockchain developers out there in member companies - and diversity in many other forms.    We need to have great on-ramps to make it easy for anybody who has the inclination to get more involved, whatever their professional skillset - and to make that an appealing and rewarding prospect.

Open source projects are LOTS OF FUN :-)

From: <tsc@...> on behalf of Jonathan Levi <jonathan@...>
Date: Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 1:10 PM
To: "blythe@..." <blythe@...>, "Blythe Masters via Lists.Hyperledger.Org" <blythe=digitalasset.com@lists.hyperledger.org>, "bob@..." <bob@...>
Cc: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>

[...]

Shawn Amundson

There are certainly female engineers within the projects, but not all engineers are subscribed to this mailing list.

In Minneapolis, there is an effort to get a "Women in Blockchain" meetup off the ground:

We plan to cross-promote this meetup with a larger blockchain meetup we run in Minneapolis, and hopefully it will get critical mass.

These meetups and maybe other events could be a good way to identify leaders who could be encouraged to participate and give presentations at Hyperledger events. (Which presumably is a good way to get name recognition within HL, etc., etc.)

-Shawn

On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 1:00 PM, Blythe Masters via Lists.Hyperledger.Org <blythe=digitalasset.com@...> wrote:
[...]

Dan Selman

Contacting existing women maintainers and contributors 1:1 is an easy first step. Encourage them to apply to the TSC or to move from contributor to maintainer. Explain what it entails, and set up a "Women in Hyperledger" group where they can meet and mentor each other. Use HL funds to fly those interested to an inaugural women-only meetup/kick-off. Ask Blythe, Kathryn Harrison, Marie Wiek, Tracy, Daniella and other women in the industry to speak at the event. I'm sure IBM, Oracle, Intel, and others would sponsor if asked. Get press coverage to encourage more women to join HL. Allocate a budget for the "Women in HL" group so they can self-organize and decide on how best to encourage more participation.

My two cents. Happy to help if you need yet another middle-aged white man's opinion! :-)

Sincerely,
Dan

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 6:03 AM Shawn Amundson <amundson@...> wrote:
[...]

CTO, Clause Inc.
Chair of Accord Project Technology Working Group

Marta Piekarska

Dear Dan
These are great ideas, thank you! One word of caution: doing women only groups, events and so on, tends to isolate women more than actually help. We are not a different spices and we don’t need special treatment;) the way we do not creat men only groups for male support, women only or American only or whatever only groups are not a good vehicle for increasing diversity.
I think the fact that we are already having this discussion is really good, I’m very glad to see everyone’s concern. It is interesting that over half of Hyperledger staff is female but it does t seem to encourage higher participation from the community.
Thank you for bringing this up!
Have a great day

Marta Piekarska
Director of Ecosystem, Hyperledger

SCHEDULE A MEETING WITH ME:  calendly.com/mpiekarska

marta@...
+447802336641 (U.K)
Signal, Wickr (martap)

Based in the U.K.

Sent from a mobile device, please excuse brevity.

On 23 Aug 2018, at 10:36, Dan Selman <dan@...> wrote:

[...]

Happy to stand corrected.
Dan

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 11:59 AM Marta Piekarska <mpiekarska@...> wrote:
[...]

brad rotter

Marta

That was a superb point.

Just wanted to note that i am returning from speaking at a two blockchain conferences last week in Toronto.

I observed a great number of woman at both events. Indeed, both conferences were produced by an amazing woman named Tracey Leparulo who runs Untraceable and has been involved in crypto since the early days of Ethereum.

Bradley Rotter

On Aug 23, 2018, at 05:59, Marta Piekarska <mpiekarska@...> wrote:

[...]

On the Identity WG we promoted the diversity message at yesterday's call. There is already a strong contribution from women in the working group and on the paper, however more contributions and attendance on the calls are welcome. We also made the point about all dimensions of diversity during the call.

You will have my personal support on the Identity working group, Architecture Working Group as well as PSWG (groups I am involved with). I agree with Marta's message that having women only groups may introduce a ghetto mentality; this was my experience in several writers groups in New York city. I refused to join the "Asian Writers Corner" back in the 90s. What we need is support from Hyperledger and the speakers bureau and inclusiveness in panels, speakers fora and other venues for all dimensions of diversity.  Of course this is difficult when the decision makers are concentrated in one segment.

Often the debate can turn ugly like it did in Google and other venues when this matter came up- false judgement of competence and a sense of being unfairly wronged and discriminated against by the dominant group may resonate far and wide like it did in our own political process in the US and elsewhere. Of course I do not agree with those sentiments, but they exist.

We only hear assenting voices in the emails, there is the silent majority to contend with. To be successful, any measure that we take has to be aware of those key but yet unvoiced complaints as well and address those head on. No one admits to being a racist or a sexist or an ageist and it may be very difficult to see in oneself since self-knowledge is the most difficult kind of knowledge.

This is not going to be an easy issue to redress, tech in general suffers from this syndrome; most societies and groups are built on the basis of discriminatory culture. This is not to say that we need not address these issues; but acknowledge that it may take more than lip service and a few initiatives; nonetheless we must persevere with action for real change!

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 8:10 AM brad rotter <brotter@...> wrote:

[...]

To clarify, my email wasn't a proposal to setup new groups. But where they do exist, especially where they were self-organized, it is probably a really good place to recruit leaders that may eventually want to run for the TSC.

-Shawn

On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 1:00 PM, Blythe Masters via Lists.Hyperledger.Org <blythe=digitalasset.com@lists.hyperledger.org> wrote:
[...]

Daniela Barbosa

My orginal response to Dan, went to Dan only, oops - my reply from Wed 4pmPST below>>>
great discussion ongoing, thanks.
~daniela
From: Kaliya Identity Woman <kaliya@...>
Date: Thursday, 23 August 2018 at 20:42
To: Mark Simpson <mark.simpson@...>
Cc: Vipin Bharathan <vipinsun@...>, "tsc@..." <tsc@...>, "Identity-WG@..." <Identity-WG@...>, "architecture-wg@..." <architecture-wg@...>, "perf-and-scale-wg@..." <perf-and-scale-wg@...>, "blythe@..." <blythe@...>, "Uwaje, Nkiruka" <Nkiruka.Uwaje@...>

I don't think the Linux foundation should gather womens groups to gather to "to share experiences and define a new inclusive tech culture."

The new inclusive tech culture means men and by and large white men do the work they need to do on their own about how their culture is not working for "everyone else" and then doing something collectively to address it.

"we" white women and men and women of color can't do the work that is really those in the dominant culture's to do. That is radically increase self-awareness about how much space you take up in meetings, how you interrupt "us", how you take our ideas, our code, play games and steal our work from us.

Stop saying credit doesn't matter.

Stop saying to white women and men and women of color come to you hoping you will be allies in a situation that "you should just walk away" no - you need to more often then not stand with them and SAY SOMETHING or better yet materially help them.

These guys maybe helpful - https://wmfdp.com

If we do our work. You guys need to do your work.

- Kaliya

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 8:37 AM, Mark Simpson <mark.simpson@...> wrote:

Great thread all !

And good to see Marta on this thread – a great ambassador for blockchain and women in tech!

I know there are lots of disparate groups of women in tech/blockchain etc, but I’m wondering if there is a way for the linux foundation to help bring these groups together, to share experiences and define a new inclusive tech culture.

Thanks

Mark

From: <perf-and-scale-wg@...> on behalf of Kaliya Identity Woman <kaliya@...>
Date: Thursday, 23 August 2018 at 15:22
To: Vipin Bharathan <vipinsun@...>
Cc: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>, "Identity-WG@..." <Identity-WG@...>, "architecture-wg@..." <architecture-wg@...>, "perf-and-scale-wg@..." <perf-and-scale-wg@...>, "blythe@..." <blythe@...>

I read through this thread.

At the very beginning it is about the TGC.

If you want women (and minorities) to run for positions in organizations like this you can’t just be “open” to them running you need to ask and invite and encourage them to run for positions like this.

I’m not on all the lists - this thread has happened on.

I don’t know that Womens only groups are ghettoizing. At a certain size organization they help women connect to each other - give mutual support and the type of encouragement and connection that is helpful when dealing with the default environment in tech that is inherently “hostile” (despite everyone’s well meaningless)

I ran a Womens only tech conference for 10 years that lots of Women “who don’t do Womens only things” came to and loved so I have some experience of doing them well.

If hyper ledger wants to improve diversity it could consider training and education about how men can be more self aware to reduce the stuff that is so culturally normal but ultimately alienating.

Just some thoughts.

- Kaliya

On Aug 23, 2018, at 7:07 AM, Vipin Bharathan <vipinsun@...> wrote:

Hi all,

[...]

The Royal Bank of Scotland plc, Registered in Scotland No. 90312. Registered Office: 36 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh EH2 2YB Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. This e-mail message is confidential and for use by the addressee only. If the message is received by anyone other than the addressee, please return the message to the sender by replying to it and then delete the message from your computer. Internet e-mails are not necessarily secure. The Royal Bank of Scotland plc does not accept responsibility for changes made to this message after it was sent. The Royal Bank of Scotland plc may monitor e-mails for business and operational purposes. By replying to this message you give your consent to our monitoring of your email communications with us. Whilst all reasonable care has been taken to avoid the transmission of viruses, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that the onward transmission, opening or use of this message and any attachments will not adversely affect its systems or data. No responsibility is accepted by The Royal Bank of Scotland plc in this regard and the recipient should carry out such virus and other checks as it considers appropriate.

[...]

Brian Behlendorf

Thanks Daniela, and all the others for their ideas and suggestions.  One more link I'll kick in, to the Linux Foundation's broad efforts in this space:

https://www.linuxfoundation.org/about/diversity-inclusiveness/

We'll take this feedback and come back with some suggestions for investment and improvement.  Meanwhile, much of the feedback was on ways many of you can help with this, by reaching out into your own organizations and areas of influence to create space for this.

I also read this as support for the proposal for the Community Health Working Group proposed by Tracy, Ry and David.  Of course it won't work if it's only LF staff on the proposal, so please consider joining the proposal.