From:        "Ry Jones" <rjones@...>
To:        Brian Behlendorf <bbehlendorf@...>
Cc:        Andrew Grimberg <agrimberg@...>, TSC <tsc@...>
Date:        06/03/2019 07:21 PM
Subject:        Re: [Hyperledger TSC] Proposal to the TSC: enable 2FA requirement across all orgs
Sent by:        tsc@...

On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 10:00 AM Brian Behlendorf <bbehlendorf@...> wrote:

Thanks Andy.  I'm also guessing it's not possible to require 2FA across
only some GH repos within a given org.

Correct. This is an org-level setting.

The quickest/best approach then is likely some sort of survey of
committers (as measured by commits to any repo over the last say 3
months) asking each to confirm they're using 2FA.  Then those who
haven't yet confirmed can be followed up with to make sure there's no
technical barrier keeping them from moving.  After some window of time
(say a month), given no technical barriers, it's enabled for all repos
and orgs.

This is a broader discussion we should have around marketing. In the beginning, anyone
that asked to be a member of the org was invited. Very few members are active. If/when
we move to automated management of repos, there will be a series of policy decisions
to make, distinct from 2FA.

Ry
Chat@rjones

Re: Proposal: adopt the Kubernetes GitHub/Community management workflow

Arnaud Le Hors

Hi Ry,

I share Shawn's uncertainty expressed earlier about what exactly from the Kubernetes management workflow you are proposing we adopt. Is it primarily the automagic management of the repos?

Could you please put on the wiki an actual proposal that we could read and vote on? I'm sorry for the extra work but I just don't see how we can fully understand what's proposed otherwise. Hopefully, it's just a matter of copy/pasting the right sections from the kubernetes pages.

From:        "Shawn Amundson" <amundson@...>
To:        Ry Jones <rjones@...>
Cc:        TSC <tsc@...>
Date:        06/04/2019 03:42 AM
Subject:        Re: [Hyperledger TSC] Proposal: adopt the Kubernetes GitHub/Community management workflow
Sent by:        tsc@...

Regardless of whether we use prow, we still need repo admin role for a select few project maintainers.

The "Maintainer (beta)" role looks geared toward teams using github wiki and issues/projects -- not terribly interesting for HL.

-Shawn

On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 2:22 PM Ry Jones <rjones@...> wrote:
I have some interesting news: the Hyperledger orgs are in a couple of betas for GitHub,
one of which gives us a slightly broader set of user roles. The Maintain role, in particular,
looks helpful.

Many of the tasks in the Admin role would be handled by the proposed use of k8s/prow.

Ry
Chat@rjones

Re: Proposal: adopt the Kubernetes GitHub/Community management workflow

Shawn Amundson

Regardless of whether we use prow, we still need repo admin role for a select few project maintainers.

The "Maintainer (beta)" role looks geared toward teams using github wiki and issues/projects -- not terribly interesting for HL.

-Shawn

On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 2:22 PM Ry Jones <rjones@...> wrote:
I have some interesting news: the Hyperledger orgs are in a couple of betas for GitHub,
one of which gives us a slightly broader set of user roles. The Maintain role, in particular,
looks helpful.

Many of the tasks in the Admin role would be handled by the proposed use of k8s/prow.

Ry

Re: Proposal: adopt the Kubernetes GitHub/Community management workflow

Ry Jones

I have some interesting news: the Hyperledger orgs are in a couple of betas for GitHub,
one of which gives us a slightly broader set of user roles. The Maintain role, in particular,
looks helpful.

Many of the tasks in the Admin role would be handled by the proposed use of k8s/prow.

Ry

Re: Proposal to the TSC: enable 2FA requirement across all orgs

Ry Jones

[...]

Brian Behlendorf

Thanks Andy.  I'm also guessing it's not possible to require 2FA across only some GH repos within a given org.

The quickest/best approach then is likely some sort of survey of committers (as measured by commits to any repo over the last say 3 months) asking each to confirm they're using 2FA.  Then those who haven't yet confirmed can be followed up with to make sure there's no technical barrier keeping them from moving.  After some window of time (say a month), given no technical barriers, it's enabled for all repos and orgs.

It is probably worth a vote on the TSC on the policy question: should 2FA be a requirement for commits? If yes, then we can figure out a rollout strategy that best balances notice and grace with expediency.

Brian

On 6/3/19 8:26 AM, Andrew Grimberg wrote:
No, that's not actually possible. You can verify if a change comes in
with a GPG signature on it, but not if a particular account is using 2FA
for access to the GitHub UI. Those are two distinctly different things.

As an aside, we currently have a change under review [0] against lftools
that will allow someone with admin rights on a GH org to get an "audit"
of the org including who does and does not have 2FA enabled.

-Andy-

[0] https://gerrit.linuxfoundation.org/infra/c/releng/lftools/+/15264

On 5/30/19 3:41 PM, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
Can we tell which commits come in without 2FA?

Brian

On 5/30/19 2:02 PM, Christopher Ferris wrote:
You should give a warning. You can add all github ids to a team and @
the team. Maybe give a few days to remediate. I approve subject to
advance warning and update to contributors guides.

IBM Fellow, CTO Open Technology
IBM Digital Business Group, Open Technologies
email: chrisfer@... <mailto:chrisfer@...>
twitter: @christo4ferris
blog: https://developer.ibm.com/code/author/chrisfer/
IBM Open Source white
paper: https://developer.ibm.com/articles/cl-open-architecture-update/
phone: +1 508 667 0402 <tel:+1%20508%20667%200402>

On May 30, 2019, at 4:54 PM, Ry Jones <rjones@...
<mailto:rjones@...>> wrote:

In light of recent discussions on this mailing list,
<https://lists.hyperledger.org/g/tsc/message/2295> I ask the TSC to
vote by email on enabling 2FA for the Hyperledger and Hyperledger
Labs orgs.

We will lose many members that are committers. It will cause turbulence.
Ry
Chat <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEc4JRyaAoA>: @rjones
<https://chat.hyperledger.org/direct/rjones>

Re: Proposal to the TSC: enable 2FA requirement across all orgs

Andrew Grimberg

<mailto:rjones@...>> wrote:

In light of recent discussions on this mailing list,
<https://lists.hyperledger.org/g/tsc/message/2295> I ask the TSC to
vote by email on enabling 2FA for the Hyperledger and Hyperledger
Labs orgs.

We will lose many members that are committers. It will cause turbulence.
Ry
Chat <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEc4JRyaAoA>: @rjones
<https://chat.hyperledger.org/direct/rjones>

Andrew J Grimberg
Manager Release Engineering
The Linux Foundation

Upcoming Event: Hyperledger Smart Contracts WG Quarterly Update Due #tsc-wg-update - Thu, 06/06/2019 #tsc-wg-update #cal-reminder

Reminder: Hyperledger Smart Contracts WG Quarterly Update Due #tsc-wg-update

When: Thursday, 6 June 2019

View Event

Organizer: community-architects@...

Description: The Hyperledger Smart Contracts WG update to the TSC was due 03 June, 2019, and it will be presented to the TSC on 06 June, 2019. Please review the update at TSC Working Group Updates prior to the meeting and add your questions to the update.

Re: Proposal to the TSC: enable 2FA requirement across all orgs

Ry Jones

Gotcha. I was thinking of a historical look, not an ongoing one.

Should be able to write a web hook to post a comment on PRs

On May 30, 2019, at 6:58 PM, Ry Jones <rjones@...> wrote:

On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 3:41 PM Brian Behlendorf <bbehlendorf@...> wrote:
Can we tell which commits come in without 2FA?

Not easily. We could probably figure it out, though. Everything is a matter of awk, sed, and curl.

Re: Proposal to the TSC: enable 2FA requirement across all orgs

Christopher Ferris <chrisfer@...>

[...]

On May 30, 2019, at 4:54 PM, Ry Jones <rjones@...> wrote:

In light of recent discussions on this mailing list, I ask the TSC to vote by email on enabling 2FA for the Hyperledger and Hyperledger Labs orgs.

We will lose many members that are committers. It will cause turbulence.
Ry

Re: Proposal to the TSC: enable 2FA requirement across all orgs

Christopher Ferris <chrisfer@...>

Also should spam mailing lists... just saying.

IBM Fellow, CTO Open Technology
IBM Digital Business Group, Open Technologies
email: chrisfer@...
twitter: @christo4ferris

On May 30, 2019, at 5:01 PM, Middleton, Dan <dan.middleton@...> wrote:

Let’s stay the vote. We can bring this up as a topic in the next TSC call and either take a vote there or move to email vote thereafter.

There’s not yet enough discussion on the turbulence for an informed vote.

Thanks,
Dan

From: <tsc@...> on behalf of Ry Jones <rjones@...>
Date: Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 3:54 PM
To: TSC <tsc@...>

In light of recent discussions on this mailing list, I ask the TSC to vote by email on enabling 2FA for the Hyperledger and Hyperledger Labs orgs.

We will lose many members that are committers. It will cause turbulence.

Ry

Proposal to the TSC: enable 2FA requirement across all orgs

Ry Jones

In light of recent discussions on this mailing list, I ask the TSC to vote by email on enabling 2FA for the Hyperledger and Hyperledger Labs orgs.

We will lose many members that are committers. It will cause turbulence.
Ry

Re: Proposal: adopt the Kubernetes GitHub/Community management workflow

Hart Montgomery

Isn’t 2FA standard these days for this kind of thing?  Is there anything we can do to push contributors to set it up?  I’d have pushed the button…