Date
[Hyperledger Project TSC] PSWG First meeting time set

mark wagner

Hi

I have scheduled the first meeting of the Perf and Scale Working Group for Wed, May 24 at 9AM EDT.
Your UberConference information is below.

Join the call: https://www.uberconference.com/hyperledger-community
Optional dial-in number: tel://401-283-2000,,,4807579435#
No PIN needed.
International Access Numbers: https://www.uberconference.com/international

In this first meeting I would like to request that folks come ready to share what they think performance and scale mean to them wrt hyperledger. This can help us all understand where we all coming from ( I tried to avoid using "level set" ).  I know I have my own ideas but I want to make sure that everyone has a voice and that their voice matters.

We can also discuss the best time for the meeting going forward.

Also, a favor to ask, I am not good at keeping meeting minutes, if someone is willing to do so it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and look forward to talking with you all on Wed!

-mark

Re: [Hyperledger Project TSC] CII Badge as graduation/1.0 requirement

Dave Huseby

Thank you everyone for your vote. This change will go a long way towards setting expectations for Hyperledger projects and raises the floor for quality, commitment, and integrity.

It's official, I'm happy...for now.

Dave

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 4:14 AM Tamas Blummer via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...> wrote:
+1
Tamas Blummer
Chief Ledger Architect
c: +36 30 460 5877
e: tamas@...
Digital Asset Hungary, KFT
Dohany utca 33
1074 Budapest, Hungary
digitalasset.com

On 19 May 2017, at 20:33, Todd Benzies via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...> wrote:

Thanks, all.  Binh & Tamas -- can you please cast your votes today?

Regards,

Todd

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 4:15 AM, Richard Brown via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...> wrote:

+1

Richard G Brown R3| Chief Technology Officer

City Tower, 15th Floor, 40 Basinghall Street | London, EC2V 5DE

M: +44 7764 666821T: @gendal

richard@... . www.r3.com

From: <hyperledger-tsc-bounces@...> on behalf of Sheehan Anderson via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...>
Date: Friday, 19 May 2017 at 03:39
To: "hyperledger-tsc@..." <hyperledger-tsc@...>
Subject: Re: [Hyperledger Project TSC] CII Badge as graduation/1.0 requirement

+1

-Sheehan

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 4:09 PM, Hart Montgomery via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...> wrote:

+1 from me as well.

Thanks Dave!

From: <hyperledger-tsc-bounces@lists.hyperledger.org> on behalf of Sheehan Anderson via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@lists.hyperledger.org>
Date: Friday, 19 May 2017 at 03:39
To: "hyperledger-tsc@lists.hyperledger.org" <hyperledger-tsc@lists.hyperledger.org>

+1

-Sheehan

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 4:09 PM, Hart Montgomery via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@lists.hyperledger.org> wrote:

[...]

---
David Huseby
Security Maven, Hyperledger
The Linux Foundation
+1-206-234-2392
dhuseby@...
Skype: dwhuseby

www.r3.com/email-disclaimer

Todd Benzies
Senior Program Manager
The Linux Foundation
+1 (415) 412-0310 (m)
Skype: tbenzies

This message, and any attachments, is for the intended recipient(s) only, may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or proprietary and subject to important terms and conditions available at http://www.digitalasset.com/emaildisclaimer.html. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message.

Re: [Hyperledger Project TSC] CII Badge as graduation/1.0 requirement

Binh Q Nguyen <binhn@...>

+1

- Binh

David Huseby via hyperledger-tsc ---05/18/2017 12:15:52 PM---Thank you everybody for the discussion about my proposal. Because we lot quorum right at the last m

From: David Huseby via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...>
To: hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...>
Date: 05/18/2017 12:15 PM
Sent by: hyperledger-tsc-bounces@...

[...]

Re: [Hyperledger Project TSC] Beijing Hackfest / June 19-20 [reminder to register]

Todd Benzies <tbenzies@...>

Hi Arnaud,

Excellent question -- in the registration confirmation, there will be a note about this.  Pasting here for everyone's reference:

Visa Information
To request a visa letter for your trip, please click here

Regards,

Todd

On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 4:32 AM, Arnaud Le Hors <lehors@...> wrote:
Hi Todd,
I realized that I (and surely others) need a visa to go to China and this requires an invitation letter. Have you planned on providing such invitation letters somehow?
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Web & Blockchain Open Technologies - IBM Cloud

From:        Todd Benzies via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@lists.hyperledger.org>
To:        hyperledger-tsc@lists.hyperledger.org, hyperledger-technical-discuss@lists.hyperledger.org, hyperledger-twg-china <hyperledger-twg-china@lists.hyperledger.org>, hyperledger-china-members@lists.hyperledger.org
Date:        05/16/2017 01:55 AM
Subject:        [Hyperledger Project TSC] Beijing Hackfest / June 19-20 [reminder        to register]
Sent by:        hyperledger-tsc-bounces@lists.hyperledger.org

Hyperledger Technical Community,

If you are planning to attend and participate, please register as soon as possible for the Hyperledger Beijing Hackfest on June 19th & 20th.

Register now:  https://www.regonline.com/hyperledgerhackfestjune2017

Also, we have started a draft agenda doc so that there is a place to add suggested topics for the Hackfest.  If there is a topic you'd like to present on, or a topic you'd like to see get discussed, please add it to the list.

Hyperledger Hackfests are regular gatherings for developers working on the different projects hosted at Hyperledger.  The primary goal for a Hackfest is to facilitate software development collaboration and knowledge sharing between participants, with an eye towards reflecting all ideas and conclusions back outward to the public open source community afterwards.  A secondary goal is to bring new contributors and passive observers up the learning curve on the different technology platforms, and the cross-cutting issues affecting multiple projects (such as identity, security, development process, etc).  Often the most useful outcome, however, is the strengthened personal relationships between the participants.  Hackfests are public meetings, anyone is welcome to attend and participate no matter what their skill level, though the discussions will presume a significant familiarity with blockchain technologies and software development concepts.

Regards,

Todd

--
Todd Benzies
Senior Program Manager

tbenzies@...
Skype: tbenzies_______________________________________________

Todd Benzies
Senior Program Manager
The Linux Foundation
+1 (415) 412-0310 (m)
Skype: tbenzies

Re: [Hyperledger Project TSC] Beijing Hackfest / June 19-20 [reminder to register]

Arnaud Le Hors

From: <hyperledger-tsc-bounces@lists.hyperledger.org> on behalf of Sheehan Anderson via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@lists.hyperledger.org>
Date: Friday, 19 May 2017 at 03:39
To: "hyperledger-tsc@lists.hyperledger.org" <hyperledger-tsc@lists.hyperledger.org>

Richard Brown <richard@...>

From: <hyperledger-tsc-bounces@...> on behalf of Sheehan Anderson via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...>
Date: Friday, 19 May 2017 at 03:39
To: "hyperledger-tsc@..." <hyperledger-tsc@...>

hmontgomery@us.fujitsu.com

[...]

Gregory Haskins <gregory.haskins@...>

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 2:18 PM, Middleton, Dan <dan.middleton@...> wrote:
I think the current wording of Dave's proposal recognizes that there are subjective questions in
that list. Between the Hyperledger Security Maven role and the TSC we should apply appropriate
scrutiny when it comes to "Not-applicable". I think trying to define and document that in absolute
terms for all projects apriori will be less effective than just doing an interactive review with each
project.
Fair point, Dan. I agree with this.

Re: [Hyperledger Project TSC] CII Badge as graduation/1.0 requirement

Murali Krishna Katipalli

+1

[...]

DTCC DISCLAIMER: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately and delete the email and any attachments from your system. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses.  The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

Re: [Hyperledger Project TSC] CII Badge asgraduation/1.0requirement

Arnaud Le Hors

+1

I'm a strong believer in the application of proper judgement to the implementation of processes rather than blind execution. I trust that the TSC will be able to do that when it comes to dealing with the gray areas.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Web & Blockchain Open Technologies - IBM Cloud

From:        "Middleton,        Dan via hyperledger-tsc" <hyperledger-tsc@...>
To:        Gregory Haskins <gregory.haskins@...>, David Huseby <dhuseby@...>, "hyperledger-tsc@..." <hyperledger-tsc@...>
Cc:        "Barnes, Thomas J" <thomas.j.barnes@...>
Date:        05/18/2017 08:19 PM
Sent by:        hyperledger-tsc-bounces@...

+1 from Dan Middleton.

For those that have not been exposed to the CII badge details you can look at existing projects (here is sawtooth's:
https://bestpractices.coreinfrastructure.org/projects/954, for example.)

Tom might be updating this imminently based on Dave's feedback during today's TSC meeting. At the moment, however, you can see where Tom was conservative in his answers to subjective questions like "All medium and high severity exploitable vulnerabilities discovered with static code analysis MUST be fixed in a timely way after they are confirmed."

I think the current wording of Dave's proposal recognizes that there are subjective questions in that list. Between the Hyperledger Security Maven role and the TSC we should apply appropriate scrutiny when it comes to "Not-applicable". I think trying to define and document that in absolute terms for all projects apriori will be less effective than just doing an interactive review with each project.

Regards,
Dan

I don't really have a full understanding of what it entails to be CII compliant yet.  With that caveat, this kind of formally/neutrally defined criteria and evaluation mechanism sounds like a reasonable condition for acceptance to me.  I do think we should strive to classify, in advance, the rules in which we decide "applicable criteria" for a given type of proposal where possible so as to avoid the perception that the community is applying the rules unfairly.

+2 from me.

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 12:15 PM, David Huseby via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...> wrote:
> Thank you everybody for the discussion about my proposal.  Because we
> lot quorum right at the last minute, the decision was made to move
> this discussion and vote to the mailing list.  The amended proposal is this:
>
> A team seeking to graduate from incubation shall have started the CII
> Badge application and be nearly complete with incomplete badge
> requirements referenced in their graduation proposal.  100% of the
> applicable criteria for the CII Badge is a requirement for releasing a
> 1.0 of the project.  That does not mean the project must have 100% of
> all criteria, just 100% of the applicable criteria.  This is to allow
> for projects such as test harnesses, that have "N/A" answers for questions that don't offer that as an option.
>

> If everybody is good with the proposal language, I ask Chris to
> conduct an electronic vote on including this language in the
> Hyperledger guidelines document and adopt this as evaluation criteria
> for graduation and 1.0 approval.
>
> Dave
>

> ---
> David Huseby
> Security Maven, Hyperledger
> The Linux Foundation
> +1-206-234-2392
> dhuseby@...
> Skype: dwhuseby

Re: [Hyperledger Project TSC] CII Badge as graduation/1.0 requirement

Middleton, Dan

[...]

[Hyperledger Project TSC] Minutes / May 18th, 2017

Todd Benzies <tbenzies@...>

Hyperledger Project

Technical Steering Committee (TSC) Meeting

May 18, 2017 (7:00am - 8:00am PT)

via GoToMeeting

TSC Members

Arnaud Le Hors

Binh Nguyen

Christopher Ferris

Yes

Dan Middleton

Yes

Greg Haskins

Yes

Hart Montgomery

Yes

Mic Bowman

Yes

Murali Krishna Katipalli

Yes

Richard Brown

Yes

Sheehan Anderson

Yes

Tamas Blummer

Resources:

Beijing Hackfest

  • June 19-20, register now / agenda (draft)

  • 30 registered as of today, highly encourage the global technical community to travel for this Hackfest

Iroha Graduation

  • Takemiya-san provided an overview of the graduation proposal for Iroha

  • Q:  Are there any metrics on what proportion of outside contributions are?  Or, any significant pieces developed by outsiders?

    • No good #s at that level, hard to quantify some of the contributions.  Some is just testing or getting ideas.

    • Of the more interesting pieces, Iroha-Scala was contributed by someone completely outside of Iroha.

  • Q:  What is the plan for handling branching in code repo as you move towards 1.0?  Release branch that just manages releases and critical security bugs?

    • Branching policy is that anything in master should be shippable.  Before that is the developer branch (mostly usable).  For actual releases (1.0) handle in separate branches as much as possible.  The current release is in master, if we do a new release, then the master gets updated as well.  Once release is stable, will release in github using releases tag.

  • Q:  Can you comment about enforcing DCO?

    • Integration with CLA hub.  If you create a pull request, it shows the different checks (namely the CLA check).  If not the case, you’ll get a red X at the pull request.

  • VOTE:  Unanimously approved.

Sawtooth Graduation

  • Dan provided an overview of the graduation proposal for Sawtooth

  • Q:  DCO check?  What tool do you verify with?

    • WIthin jenkins, when someone submits a pull request, we run the test suite against that (one of those checks is looking for sign-off on the commit message).

  • VOTE:  Unanimously approved.

CII Badge and Security Bug Handling Process

  • Security Bug Handling Process Draft

  • Dave discussed thoughts around requiring CII Badge to graduate to Active status

  • Q:  Talked about retroactively looking at Active projects for CII badging -- need to look at Fabric, Sawtooth, and Iroha.

    • Fabric is at 100%.  Iroha is at 97% (need dynamic fuzzing tool still).  Sawtooth is at 85%, should be near 100% very shortly.

  • Q:  If every project needs to set up the same tools, is there is a core infra team that could go do that?

    • Teams can lean on Hyperledger staff for help and guidance (Dave & Tracy)

  • Suggesting 95% or better for graduation; 1.0 would need to require it at 100%.

  • ACTION:  Dave to put proposal out by email for vote (no longer at quorum during the end of TSC meeting).

--
Todd Benzies
Senior Program Manager

<hyperledger-tsc@...> wrote:
[...]

approve

Chris

On May 18, 2017, at 12:15 PM, David Huseby via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...> wrote:

[...]

[Hyperledger Project TSC] Agenda for May 18, 2017

Todd Benzies <tbenzies@...>

--
Todd Benzies
Senior Program Manager