Date   

Re: Hyperledger HIP

mark wagner <mwagner@...>
 

I make a motion that we accept this proposal.

-mark


On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 7:40 PM Ry Jones <rjones@...> wrote:
Members of the TSC,
I have created a new repo for this. I ask that you vote on the issue here in the mailing list so I may fix the proposal, or close it.

Ry

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 3:53 PM Ry Jones <rjones@...> wrote:
Based on some earlier comments, I put together an attempt at moving the HIP process to GitHub. Take a look?

I don't want to spend too much time if this is not where the TSC wants to go.
Ry
--
Ry Jones
Community Architect, Hyperledger


--
Ry Jones
Community Architect, Hyperledger



--
Mark Wagner
Senior Principal Software Engineer
Performance and Scalability
Red Hat, Inc


Re: Hyperledger HIP

Vipin Bharathan
 

Hi all,
As the original author of the HIP template, I support this. Moving new project proposals into github similar to what we do in labs will also help track the project proposals and what was voted on in one location. 
Vipin 

On Jul 8, 2020, at 7:37 PM, Ry Jones <rjones@...> wrote:


Members of the TSC,
I have created a new repo for this. I ask that you vote on the issue here in the mailing list so I may fix the proposal, or close it.

Ry

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 3:53 PM Ry Jones <rjones@...> wrote:
Based on some earlier comments, I put together an attempt at moving the HIP process to GitHub. Take a look?

I don't want to spend too much time if this is not where the TSC wants to go.
Ry
--
Ry Jones
Community Architect, Hyperledger


--
Ry Jones
Community Architect, Hyperledger


Re: Hyperledger HIP

Ry Jones
 

Members of the TSC,
I have created a new repo for this. I ask that you vote on the issue here in the mailing list so I may fix the proposal, or close it.

Ry

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 3:53 PM Ry Jones <rjones@...> wrote:
Based on some earlier comments, I put together an attempt at moving the HIP process to GitHub. Take a look?

I don't want to spend too much time if this is not where the TSC wants to go.
Ry
--
Ry Jones
Community Architect, Hyperledger


--
Ry Jones
Community Architect, Hyperledger


Cancelled Event: Technical Steering Committee (TSC) - Thursday, 9 July 2020 #cal-cancelled

tsc@lists.hyperledger.org Calendar <tsc@...>
 

Cancelled: Technical Steering Committee (TSC)

This event has been cancelled.

When:
Thursday, 9 July 2020
7:00am to 8:00am
(UTC-07:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:
https://zoom.us/my/hyperledger.community.backup

Organizer: Technical Steering Committee (TSC) community-architects@...

Description:
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/my/hyperledger.community.backup

Or iPhone one-tap :
US: +16699006833,,6223336701# or +16465588656,,6223336701#
Or Telephone:
Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):
US: +1 669 900 6833 or +1 646 558 8656 or +1 877 369 0926 (Toll Free) or +1 855 880 1246 (Toll Free)
Meeting ID: 622-333-6701
International numbers available: https://zoom.us/zoomconference?m=BYDz1WGXJTTJ_s4_zumD9hqKjJv-Whgs


TSC Meeting 2020-07-09 Cancelled

Middleton, Dan
 

Arnaud and I exchanged notes earlier and agreed that without more agenda topics we would skip this week.

I believe he is in transit so I am sending out the cancellation email.

 

As noted in the related thread we have agendas initialized for the next two weeks so you can start to load items into them:

 

July 9: Cancelled 

 

Jul 16: https://wiki.hyperledger.org/x/uiXcAQ

 

Jul 23: https://wiki.hyperledger.org/x/vCXcAQ

 

 

Regards,

 

Dan Middleton

Principal Engineer

Intel

 


Re: TSC agenda items for this week?

Middleton, Dan
 

Great. Let’s punt to July 16.

I’ve initialized an agenda for that date as well as the following week so we can prime the pump for topics.

For example, on the 23rd the DCI-WG plans to have a report complete on our ~year of work.

 

July 9: Cancelled

 

Jul 16: https://wiki.hyperledger.org/x/uiXcAQ

 

Jul 23: https://wiki.hyperledger.org/x/vCXcAQ

 

Thanks,

Dan

 

From: Brian Behlendorf <bbehlendorf@...>
Date: Wednesday, July 8, 2020 at 1:41 PM
To: Dan Middleton <dan.middleton@...>, "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Subject: Re: [Hyperledger TSC] TSC agenda items for this week?

 

Sure, happy to desist for the next one. Will start a separate thread on the topic.

Brian

 

On 7/8/20 10:02 AM, Middleton, Dan wrote:

I don’t know that this stops us from canceling ;)

 

More seriously, I think that if we have some discussion on the list first we could have a more productive live discussion next week. I’m not sure that we will have a productive live discussion tomorrow without that or that this single item is enough to hold a meeting.

 

Regards,
Dan

 

From: <tsc@...> on behalf of Brian Behlendorf <bbehlendorf@...>
Date: Wednesday, July 8, 2020 at 10:58 AM
To: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Subject: Re: [Hyperledger TSC] TSC agenda items for this week?

 

Yes - we'd like to talk about how to better connect project maintainers with the devrel and outreach that HL staff and the Marketing Committee are doing. I'll add that to the Wiki but wanted to mention it here before you had a chance to cancel. :)

 

Brian

 

On 7/7/20 10:15 AM, Arnaud Le Hors wrote:

Hi,
Does anyone have any agenda items they want to bring up on this week's call?
Thanks.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Blockchain & Web Open Technologies - IBM

 

-- 
Brian Behlendorf
Executive Director, Hyperledger
bbehlendorf@...
Twitter: @brianbehlendorf

 

-- 
Brian Behlendorf
Executive Director, Hyperledger
bbehlendorf@...
Twitter: @brianbehlendorf


Re: TSC agenda items for this week?

Brian Behlendorf
 

Sure, happy to desist for the next one. Will start a separate thread on the topic.

Brian


On 7/8/20 10:02 AM, Middleton, Dan wrote:

I don’t know that this stops us from canceling ;)

 

More seriously, I think that if we have some discussion on the list first we could have a more productive live discussion next week. I’m not sure that we will have a productive live discussion tomorrow without that or that this single item is enough to hold a meeting.

 

Regards,
Dan

 

From: <tsc@...> on behalf of Brian Behlendorf <bbehlendorf@...>
Date: Wednesday, July 8, 2020 at 10:58 AM
To: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Subject: Re: [Hyperledger TSC] TSC agenda items for this week?

 

Yes - we'd like to talk about how to better connect project maintainers with the devrel and outreach that HL staff and the Marketing Committee are doing. I'll add that to the Wiki but wanted to mention it here before you had a chance to cancel. :)

 

Brian

 

On 7/7/20 10:15 AM, Arnaud Le Hors wrote:

Hi,
Does anyone have any agenda items they want to bring up on this week's call?
Thanks.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Blockchain & Web Open Technologies - IBM

 

-- 
Brian Behlendorf
Executive Director, Hyperledger
bbehlendorf@...
Twitter: @brianbehlendorf


-- 
Brian Behlendorf
Executive Director, Hyperledger
bbehlendorf@...
Twitter: @brianbehlendorf


Meeting minutes for today's Identity WG call available (2020-07-08)

Vipin Bharathan
 

Hello all,

Universal Wallet 2020 by Orie Steele with a lively Q&A session.
Latest recording and minutes available in https://wiki.hyperledger.org/display/IWG/2020-07-08
If you find your views inadequately represented or to make changes login to the wiki and edit the minutes/agenda page.

Thanks to Orie and his interlocutors and also for an attentive audience.

Thanks,
Vipin


Re: TSC agenda items for this week?

Middleton, Dan
 

I don’t know that this stops us from canceling ;)

 

More seriously, I think that if we have some discussion on the list first we could have a more productive live discussion next week. I’m not sure that we will have a productive live discussion tomorrow without that or that this single item is enough to hold a meeting.

 

Regards,
Dan

 

From: <tsc@...> on behalf of Brian Behlendorf <bbehlendorf@...>
Date: Wednesday, July 8, 2020 at 10:58 AM
To: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Subject: Re: [Hyperledger TSC] TSC agenda items for this week?

 

Yes - we'd like to talk about how to better connect project maintainers with the devrel and outreach that HL staff and the Marketing Committee are doing. I'll add that to the Wiki but wanted to mention it here before you had a chance to cancel. :)

 

Brian

 

On 7/7/20 10:15 AM, Arnaud Le Hors wrote:

Hi,
Does anyone have any agenda items they want to bring up on this week's call?
Thanks.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Blockchain & Web Open Technologies - IBM

 

-- 
Brian Behlendorf
Executive Director, Hyperledger
bbehlendorf@...
Twitter: @brianbehlendorf


Re: TSC agenda items for this week?

Brian Behlendorf
 

Yes - we'd like to talk about how to better connect project maintainers with the devrel and outreach that HL staff and the Marketing Committee are doing. I'll add that to the Wiki but wanted to mention it here before you had a chance to cancel. :)

Brian

On 7/7/20 10:15 AM, Arnaud Le Hors wrote:
Hi,
Does anyone have any agenda items they want to bring up on this week's call?
Thanks.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Blockchain & Web Open Technologies - IBM


-- 
Brian Behlendorf
Executive Director, Hyperledger
bbehlendorf@...
Twitter: @brianbehlendorf


Cancelled Event: Marketing Committee - Developer Relations sync - Wednesday, 8 July 2020 #cal-cancelled

tsc@lists.hyperledger.org Calendar <tsc@...>
 

Cancelled: Marketing Committee - Developer Relations sync

This event has been cancelled.

When:
Wednesday, 8 July 2020
9:00am to 10:00am
(UTC-07:00) America/Los Angeles

Organizer: Marketing Committee marketing@...

Description:
https://zoom.us/j/982600073

  • The second Wednesday of every month at 9am PT Join Zoom Meeting https://zoom.us/j/982600073
  • One tap mobile +16465588656,,982600073# US (New York) +16699006833,,982600073# US (San Jose) Dial by your location +1 646 558 8656 US (New York) +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose) 877 369 0926 US Toll-free 855 880 1246 US Toll-free +1 647 558 0588 Canada 855 703 8985 Canada Toll-free Meeting ID: 982 600 073 Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/abaoIu7JMk
  • Hosted by: Jessica Rampen (Sr. Manager of Marketing Communications) Alissa Worley (Hyperledger MC chair) Duncan Johnston-Watt (Hyperledger MC vice chair)


TSC agenda items for this week?

Arnaud Le Hors
 

Hi,
Does anyone have any agenda items they want to bring up on this week's call?
Thanks.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Blockchain & Web Open Technologies - IBM


Universal Wallet 2020- Next call Wednesday July 8th at noon EDT (16:00 UTC)

Vipin Bharathan
 

Hello Identity-WG members,


If you are attending the meeting, please update your name on the calendar.

Please check out our Agenda

The main event:
  • Orie Steele from Transmute talks about his proposal for a universal wallet. Another exciting session brought to you by the Identity working group.
  • From Orie's original email about the proposal:
    Repo: https://github.com/transmute-industries/universal-wallet
    Spec: https://transmute-industries.github.io/universal-wallet/

    The proposed specification will define a data model and abstract interfaces for digital wallets that store currency, credentials, key material or references to key material, meta data, and cards... The goal being to help unify DIDs, VCs,  and cryptocurrency wallet data models, by defining missing vocabulary or defining relationships between existing vocabulary, reusing existing specifications as much as possible without modification.... Including DIDs, DID Key, VCs, VC HTTP APIs, WebKMS, VP Request Spec, Presentation Exchange, etc...
Attend, ask questions and get answers from Orie.

Thanks all,
Vipin


Cancelled Event: Technical Steering Committee (TSC) - Thursday, 2 July 2020 #cal-cancelled

tsc@lists.hyperledger.org Calendar <tsc@...>
 

Cancelled: Technical Steering Committee (TSC)

This event has been cancelled.

When:
Thursday, 2 July 2020
7:00am to 8:00am
(UTC-07:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:
https://zoom.us/my/hyperledger.community.backup

Organizer: Technical Steering Committee (TSC) community-architects@...

Description:
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/my/hyperledger.community.backup

Or iPhone one-tap :
US: +16699006833,,6223336701# or +16465588656,,6223336701#
Or Telephone:
Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):
US: +1 669 900 6833 or +1 646 558 8656 or +1 877 369 0926 (Toll Free) or +1 855 880 1246 (Toll Free)
Meeting ID: 622-333-6701
International numbers available: https://zoom.us/zoomconference?m=BYDz1WGXJTTJ_s4_zumD9hqKjJv-Whgs


No TSC call this week

Arnaud Le Hors
 

Well, given the overwhelming response we will be skipping this week. Sorry for the late notice.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Blockchain & Web Open Technologies - IBM




From:        "Arnaud Le Hors" <lehors@...>
To:        "Technical Steering Committee (TSC)" <tsc@...>
Date:        06/30/2020 08:24 PM
Subject:        [EXTERNAL] [Hyperledger TSC] Any agenda items for the TSC call?
Sent by:        tsc@...




The subject says it all! :-)
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Blockchain & Web Open Technologies - IBM






Any agenda items for the TSC call?

Arnaud Le Hors
 

The subject says it all! :-)
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Blockchain & Web Open Technologies - IBM


Minutes of the call on June 24

Vipin Bharathan
 

Hi all,
We had a great presentation on June 24 on the subject of GLIEF rooted org wallets.
The recordings and minutes are available at
Please correct or expand on the minutes. My apologies for my garbled zoom audio, although I could hear everyone just fine. Thanks again and we will continue to have great presentations on the IDWG.

Minutes

Christoph Schneider & Karla McKenna from GLEIF presented their project which went all the way from LEI registrars to an organization wallet that holds individual roles. In turn, to be presented in a limited way in GLEIF's public data.

Some of the questions

  • the balance between privacy of the individuals in the corporations to the publishing of their  names in a public data source like the GLEIF
  • the distance between the organizational wallets and the personal wallets to assert a claim on either salary or a position.
  • the use of these org wallets as generic identification documents

Most of these questions were related to the scope and function of the org wallets vs VCs held by personal wallets.

Next steps: What is the roadmap for this PoC? Will it progress to a later version of Aries? What are the future plans for implementation?

Best,

Vipin


Proposal: a Task Force for a common Explorer (was Re: [Hyperledger TSC] TSC agenda for June 25, 2020)

Brian Behlendorf
 

I started out writing a letter opposing folding Explorer into Fabric, but felt it was more important to work on positive actions we could take rather than fighting against change. So...

I propose we pull together a Task Force to explore and develop a design document for a new Explorer-like read-only web-based front-end for browsing an underlying ledger, with the goal of supporting a wide set of ledgers. This TF should have a volunteer maintainer from each ledger project (Besu, Burrow, Fabric, Indy, Iroha, and Sawtooth) and of course anyone else interested, particularly the current Explorer team. This design document may then drive further work on HL Explorer, or a next-gen iteration of Explorer within the Explorer project, or even may serve as the basis for a new project. It should not presume to be bound to current implementations of explorers, nor even need to be backwards-compatible - it could target a future major release if that simplifies things. It should also explore useful abstraction interfaces to make it even easier to support future ledgers or ledgers beyond those at HL. It should also not aim to be a tool for administering a network, or to modify the ledger or write transactions to the ledger, at least in its first iteration. I'll Chair the TF unless someone else would like to. It would be great to have help from the Architecture WG on this.

After that TF has completed its work, then we can decide whether the design document suggests a new roadmap for Explorer (and a path for experts on other ledgers to work with the current Explorer maintainers), or whether Explorer-like functionality is inherently ledger-specific and the Fabric team would prefer to fold it into the Fabric project and the Explorer devs agree with that and other if's that I think need to be satisfied before demoting them from top-level-status is justified. The conversation might also unearth other opportunities to better support modularity, like a need for a common SDK, or places where terminology differences between ledgers could be ironed out.

Thoughts? If there's at least two other volunteers for this I'll put together a formal proposal for a future TSC meeting.

Brian


On 6/25/20 7:59 AM, Jonathan Levi (HACERA) wrote:

Also, the Fabric 2.0-alpha (release branch) was out in April 2019, beta in December 2019, etc.

v2.0.0-alpha - April 9, 2019  
v2.0.0-beta - December 12, 2019  
v2.0.0 - January 29, 2020
v2.0.1 - February 26, 2020  
...

So what I suggest - is to be realistic. 

As many of the heavy/rich players are working on proprietary versions... with very nice features and integrations to their clouds/offerings... and it's getting more and more to - expecting 4 contributors to meet the Active requirements on a "global scale" may be too much to ask.

Not because they (the contributors) are rejecting other contributors. Quite the opposite: because the interested parties in the framework, keep on enhancing their proprietary versions. And that's only for one of the frameworks.

p.s. I always/sometimes forget the most important word in a sentence here and there, which is "not". I meant to write:

> I know people had good intentions in 2016 and some later on explained to us that each top-level project will work together here... but really, it did [not] work. So I think that it would be better to kill this after so many years, and port into a Fabric project, under Fabric, side by side to Fabric, or. 

Jonathan

HACERA




On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 7:46 AM Jonathan Levi (HACERA) via lists.hyperledger.org <jonathan=hacera.com@...> wrote:
Hi Brian,

Yes, I saw and we follow the 4 contributors. I highly respect the attempts/work.


I still maintain/think that if all the effort is around Fabric (2.0, 2.1 and the upcoming 2.2) then we should call this project a Hyperledger Fabric Explorer. Or, one of these generated names, I don't know, "HL Ranger/Jeep/Wrangler..." ;-)

I know people had good intentions in 2016 and some later on explained to us that each top-level project will work together here... but really, it did not work. So I think that it would be better to kill this after so many years, and port into a Fabric project, under Fabric, side by side to Fabric, or. 

It would be much better if we call it what it is, and hopefully (or maybe) some in the Fabric group will give the "Fabric Explorer" project a hand... than just leave it to slowly catch up.


Long-long time ago, we/it was suggested that this will be under Fabric. We wanted to encourage others to participate, but it remained a Fabric explorer (last supported versions are 1.4.0 - 1.4.8).

The way I read it: If a project is focused on one ledger, all the efforts, intentions, plans and resources are there, now for several years, and they contributors want to continue to focus on that one ledger - then it will also be easier on the contributors to work under a better-defined scope (and task), from a governance perspective.

Otherwise, it will be kept in the Backlog for quarters, because we want to encourage their effort, while it's far from being THE greenhouse level, all terrain, all 4x4 ledgers explorer.

Then, with the right scale, it will be possible and better (more fairly) judge/measure "Active"-ity.  



On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 7:04 AM Brian Behlendorf <bbehlendorf@...> wrote:
The report shows them as active, backed up by the analytics:


I see in their status they're working towards Fabric 2.1 support.

I don't see evidence, from reviewing the chat or email, that they've rejected or discouraged contributions from others. If anything, I see them hungry for additional help. Do you read it differently?

Brian

On 6/25/20 6:56 AM, Jonathan Levi (HACERA) wrote:
Just took a look at the backlog.

Are people still thinking of not killing the Hyperledger Explorer project? Or are others planning to make it Active any time soon?


When was the last time this project did work for Fabric (with the various channels), Sawtooth, Iroha, Besu, ...

Or, do we have companies that are willing to donate their own explorer code, for each of the ledgers? After years of "patiently" waiting for it, we all simply developed our own ones, literally each of the cloud providers had to write their own, the consultants, the system integrators, the students...

It has been in the backlog now for many, many quarters.

My 2 cents,
Jonathan

HACERA


On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 6:35 AM Middleton, Dan <dan.middleton@...> wrote:

I have reviewed and where appropriate commented the agenda items. Unfortunately I’ve had a conflict emerge this morning so I will not be able to attend live.

 

Regards,

 

Dan Middleton

Principal Engineer

Intel

 

 

From: <tsc@...> on behalf of Brian Behlendorf <bbehlendorf@...>
Date: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 at 9:59 PM
To: Arnaud Le Hors <lehors@...>, Hyperledger TSC <tsc@...>
Subject: Re: [Hyperledger TSC] TSC agenda for June 25, 2020

 

Hi! Dave Huseby has two things he wants to cover on elections and "showing your support", which I felt it was worth getting in there. There are links to each on the agenda. Meanwhile, there are three reports to review (Burrow, Aries, and Explorer) and those three could use more TSC members confirming they've reviewed them by clicking the checkbox or bringing points up for discussion.

 

Thanks,

 

Brian

 

On 6/24/20 1:21 PM, Arnaud Le Hors wrote:

Hi all,
I was thinking of cancelling this week's call but Brian informing me that he has something he wants us to discuss and wants to have the call.
I've been waiting for what it is but he's been busy and I still don't know so... I leave it to Brian to update the agenda or make it a surprise on the call. :-)

The agenda is on the wiki: https://wiki.hyperledger.org/display/TSC/2020-06-25+TSC+Agenda

If there is anything else you'd like to discuss or announce please, add it to the agenda as well (or make it a surprise too. ;-)

Please, note that several quarterly reports were submitted and needs to be reviewed.
Thanks.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Blockchain & Web Open Technologies - IBM

 

-- 
Brian Behlendorf
Executive Director, Hyperledger
bbehlendorf@...
Twitter: @brianbehlendorf


-- 
Brian Behlendorf
Executive Director, Hyperledger
bbehlendorf@...
Twitter: @brianbehlendorf


-- 
Brian Behlendorf
Executive Director, Hyperledger
bbehlendorf@...
Twitter: @brianbehlendorf


Re: TSC agenda for June 25, 2020

Jonathan Levi (HACERA)
 

Precisely! Thank you Ry.


On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 8:12 AM Ry Jones <rjones@...> wrote:
There is sawtooth-explorer as a model, as well.



On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 2:59 PM, Jonathan Levi (HACERA) jonathan@... wrote:

Also, the Fabric 2.0-alpha (release branch) was out in April 2019, beta in December 2019, etc.

v2.0.0-alpha - April 9, 2019  
v2.0.0-beta - December 12, 2019  
v2.0.0 - January 29, 2020
v2.0.1 - February 26, 2020  
...

So what I suggest - is to be realistic. 

As many of the heavy/rich players are working on proprietary versions... with very nice features and integrations to their clouds/offerings... and it's getting more and more to - expecting 4 contributors to meet the Active requirements on a "global scale" may be too much to ask.

Not because they (the contributors) are rejecting other contributors. Quite the opposite: because the interested parties in the framework, keep on enhancing their proprietary versions. And that's only for one of the frameworks.

p.s. I always/sometimes forget the most important word in a sentence here and there, which is "not". I meant to write:

> I know people had good intentions in 2016 and some later on explained to us that each top-level project will work together here... but really, it did [not] work. So I think that it would be better to kill this after so many years, and port into a Fabric project, under Fabric, side by side to Fabric, or. 

Jonathan

HACERA




On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 7:46 AM Jonathan Levi (HACERA) via lists.hyperledger.org <jonathan=hacera.com@...> wrote:
Hi Brian,

Yes, I saw and we follow the 4 contributors. I highly respect the attempts/work.


I still maintain/think that if all the effort is around Fabric (2.0, 2.1 and the upcoming 2.2) then we should call this project a Hyperledger Fabric Explorer. Or, one of these generated names, I don't know, "HL Ranger/Jeep/Wrangler..." ;-)

I know people had good intentions in 2016 and some later on explained to us that each top-level project will work together here... but really, it did not work. So I think that it would be better to kill this after so many years, and port into a Fabric project, under Fabric, side by side to Fabric, or. 

It would be much better if we call it what it is, and hopefully (or maybe) some in the Fabric group will give the "Fabric Explorer" project a hand... than just leave it to slowly catch up.


Long-long time ago, we/it was suggested that this will be under Fabric. We wanted to encourage others to participate, but it remained a Fabric explorer (last supported versions are 1.4.0 - 1.4.8).

The way I read it: If a project is focused on one ledger, all the efforts, intentions, plans and resources are there, now for several years, and they contributors want to continue to focus on that one ledger - then it will also be easier on the contributors to work under a better-defined scope (and task), from a governance perspective.

Otherwise, it will be kept in the Backlog for quarters, because we want to encourage their effort, while it's far from being THE greenhouse level, all terrain, all 4x4 ledgers explorer.

Then, with the right scale, it will be possible and better (more fairly) judge/measure "Active"-ity.  



On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 7:04 AM Brian Behlendorf <bbehlendorf@...> wrote:
The report shows them as active, backed up by the analytics:


I see in their status they're working towards Fabric 2.1 support.

I don't see evidence, from reviewing the chat or email, that they've rejected or discouraged contributions from others. If anything, I see them hungry for additional help. Do you read it differently?

Brian

On 6/25/20 6:56 AM, Jonathan Levi (HACERA) wrote:
Just took a look at the backlog.

Are people still thinking of not killing the Hyperledger Explorer project? Or are others planning to make it Active any time soon?


When was the last time this project did work for Fabric (with the various channels), Sawtooth, Iroha, Besu, ...

Or, do we have companies that are willing to donate their own explorer code, for each of the ledgers? After years of "patiently" waiting for it, we all simply developed our own ones, literally each of the cloud providers had to write their own, the consultants, the system integrators, the students...

It has been in the backlog now for many, many quarters.

My 2 cents,
Jonathan

HACERA


On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 6:35 AM Middleton, Dan <dan.middleton@...> wrote:

I have reviewed and where appropriate commented the agenda items. Unfortunately I’ve had a conflict emerge this morning so I will not be able to attend live.

 

Regards,

 

Dan Middleton

Principal Engineer

Intel

 

 

From: <tsc@...> on behalf of Brian Behlendorf <bbehlendorf@...>
Date: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 at 9:59 PM
To: Arnaud Le Hors <lehors@...>, Hyperledger TSC <tsc@...>
Subject: Re: [Hyperledger TSC] TSC agenda for June 25, 2020

 

Hi! Dave Huseby has two things he wants to cover on elections and "showing your support", which I felt it was worth getting in there. There are links to each on the agenda. Meanwhile, there are three reports to review (Burrow, Aries, and Explorer) and those three could use more TSC members confirming they've reviewed them by clicking the checkbox or bringing points up for discussion.

 

Thanks,

 

Brian

 

On 6/24/20 1:21 PM, Arnaud Le Hors wrote:

Hi all,
I was thinking of cancelling this week's call but Brian informing me that he has something he wants us to discuss and wants to have the call.
I've been waiting for what it is but he's been busy and I still don't know so... I leave it to Brian to update the agenda or make it a surprise on the call. :-)

The agenda is on the wiki: https://wiki.hyperledger.org/display/TSC/2020-06-25+TSC+Agenda

If there is anything else you'd like to discuss or announce please, add it to the agenda as well (or make it a surprise too. ;-)

Please, note that several quarterly reports were submitted and needs to be reviewed.
Thanks.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Blockchain & Web Open Technologies - IBM

 

-- 
Brian Behlendorf
Executive Director, Hyperledger
bbehlendorf@...
Twitter: @brianbehlendorf


-- 
Brian Behlendorf
Executive Director, Hyperledger
bbehlendorf@...
Twitter: @brianbehlendorf



Ry Jones
Community Architect, Hyperledger


Re: TSC agenda for June 25, 2020

Ry Jones
 

There is sawtooth-explorer as a model, as well.



On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 2:59 PM, Jonathan Levi (HACERA) jonathan@... wrote:

Also, the Fabric 2.0-alpha (release branch) was out in April 2019, beta in December 2019, etc.

v2.0.0-alpha - April 9, 2019  
v2.0.0-beta - December 12, 2019  
v2.0.0 - January 29, 2020
v2.0.1 - February 26, 2020  
...

So what I suggest - is to be realistic. 

As many of the heavy/rich players are working on proprietary versions... with very nice features and integrations to their clouds/offerings... and it's getting more and more to - expecting 4 contributors to meet the Active requirements on a "global scale" may be too much to ask.

Not because they (the contributors) are rejecting other contributors. Quite the opposite: because the interested parties in the framework, keep on enhancing their proprietary versions. And that's only for one of the frameworks.

p.s. I always/sometimes forget the most important word in a sentence here and there, which is "not". I meant to write:

> I know people had good intentions in 2016 and some later on explained to us that each top-level project will work together here... but really, it did [not] work. So I think that it would be better to kill this after so many years, and port into a Fabric project, under Fabric, side by side to Fabric, or. 

Jonathan

HACERA




On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 7:46 AM Jonathan Levi (HACERA) via lists.hyperledger.org <jonathan=hacera.com@...> wrote:
Hi Brian,

Yes, I saw and we follow the 4 contributors. I highly respect the attempts/work.


I still maintain/think that if all the effort is around Fabric (2.0, 2.1 and the upcoming 2.2) then we should call this project a Hyperledger Fabric Explorer. Or, one of these generated names, I don't know, "HL Ranger/Jeep/Wrangler..." ;-)

I know people had good intentions in 2016 and some later on explained to us that each top-level project will work together here... but really, it did not work. So I think that it would be better to kill this after so many years, and port into a Fabric project, under Fabric, side by side to Fabric, or. 

It would be much better if we call it what it is, and hopefully (or maybe) some in the Fabric group will give the "Fabric Explorer" project a hand... than just leave it to slowly catch up.


Long-long time ago, we/it was suggested that this will be under Fabric. We wanted to encourage others to participate, but it remained a Fabric explorer (last supported versions are 1.4.0 - 1.4.8).

The way I read it: If a project is focused on one ledger, all the efforts, intentions, plans and resources are there, now for several years, and they contributors want to continue to focus on that one ledger - then it will also be easier on the contributors to work under a better-defined scope (and task), from a governance perspective.

Otherwise, it will be kept in the Backlog for quarters, because we want to encourage their effort, while it's far from being THE greenhouse level, all terrain, all 4x4 ledgers explorer.

Then, with the right scale, it will be possible and better (more fairly) judge/measure "Active"-ity.  



On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 7:04 AM Brian Behlendorf <bbehlendorf@...> wrote:
The report shows them as active, backed up by the analytics:


I see in their status they're working towards Fabric 2.1 support.

I don't see evidence, from reviewing the chat or email, that they've rejected or discouraged contributions from others. If anything, I see them hungry for additional help. Do you read it differently?

Brian

On 6/25/20 6:56 AM, Jonathan Levi (HACERA) wrote:
Just took a look at the backlog.

Are people still thinking of not killing the Hyperledger Explorer project? Or are others planning to make it Active any time soon?


When was the last time this project did work for Fabric (with the various channels), Sawtooth, Iroha, Besu, ...

Or, do we have companies that are willing to donate their own explorer code, for each of the ledgers? After years of "patiently" waiting for it, we all simply developed our own ones, literally each of the cloud providers had to write their own, the consultants, the system integrators, the students...

It has been in the backlog now for many, many quarters.

My 2 cents,
Jonathan

HACERA


On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 6:35 AM Middleton, Dan <dan.middleton@...> wrote:

I have reviewed and where appropriate commented the agenda items. Unfortunately I’ve had a conflict emerge this morning so I will not be able to attend live.

 

Regards,

 

Dan Middleton

Principal Engineer

Intel

 

 

From: <tsc@...> on behalf of Brian Behlendorf <bbehlendorf@...>
Date: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 at 9:59 PM
To: Arnaud Le Hors <lehors@...>, Hyperledger TSC <tsc@...>
Subject: Re: [Hyperledger TSC] TSC agenda for June 25, 2020

 

Hi! Dave Huseby has two things he wants to cover on elections and "showing your support", which I felt it was worth getting in there. There are links to each on the agenda. Meanwhile, there are three reports to review (Burrow, Aries, and Explorer) and those three could use more TSC members confirming they've reviewed them by clicking the checkbox or bringing points up for discussion.

 

Thanks,

 

Brian

 

On 6/24/20 1:21 PM, Arnaud Le Hors wrote:

Hi all,
I was thinking of cancelling this week's call but Brian informing me that he has something he wants us to discuss and wants to have the call.
I've been waiting for what it is but he's been busy and I still don't know so... I leave it to Brian to update the agenda or make it a surprise on the call. :-)

The agenda is on the wiki: https://wiki.hyperledger.org/display/TSC/2020-06-25+TSC+Agenda

If there is anything else you'd like to discuss or announce please, add it to the agenda as well (or make it a surprise too. ;-)

Please, note that several quarterly reports were submitted and needs to be reviewed.
Thanks.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Blockchain & Web Open Technologies - IBM

 

-- 
Brian Behlendorf
Executive Director, Hyperledger
bbehlendorf@...
Twitter: @brianbehlendorf


-- 
Brian Behlendorf
Executive Director, Hyperledger
bbehlendorf@...
Twitter: @brianbehlendorf



Ry Jones
Community Architect, Hyperledger

541 - 560 of 3590