Date   
Upcoming Event: Hyperledger Caliper Quarterly Update Due #tsc-project-update - Thu, 09/26/2019 #tsc-project-update #cal-reminder

tsc@lists.hyperledger.org Calendar <tsc@...>
 

Reminder: Hyperledger Caliper Quarterly Update Due #tsc-project-update

When: Thursday, 26 September 2019

View Event

Organizer: community-architects@...

Description: The Hyperledger Caliper update to the TSC was due 23 September, 2019, and it will be presented to the TSC on 26 September, 2019. Please review the update at TSC Project Updates prior to the meeting and add your questions to the update.

Sep 19 TSC call canceled

Arnaud Le Hors
 

Hi all,
I apologize for the late notice but I'm going to cancel this week's call due to a combination of a light agenda and logistical challenges on my end.

I do want to point out that several quarterly reports are overdue. And I encourage TSC members to chime in on the various open issues so that we can make progress towards proposed resolutions that can be brought up to the TSC for approval. See: https://wiki.hyperledger.org/display/HYP/Pending+topics+for+the+TSC
Thanks.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Blockchain & Web Open Technologies - IBM

Re: working groups

hmontgomery@us.fujitsu.com
 

Hi Everyone,

 

Some points on this:

 

I don’t think it matters what we name these groups.  If we want to keep the name of “working group,” that’s fine.

 

The main point we have noticed is that long-term, work-product focused groups haven’t really worked.  So we want to subdivide into two things:  non-work product-focused groups that are long-term, and short-term work product-focused groups that have clear deliverables and a clear timeframe.  We would call the first “working groups” and the second “task forces.”  This is more or less what is written in the proposal.

 

Active maintainers and contributors are going to be more likely to put work into short efforts with clear timeframes and outcomes, even if there is a distinct possibility of failure.  So I think task forces are our best shot at getting cross-project collaboration and integration.  We can set bite-sized goals and tackle things little by little.

 

In an ideal world, the non-work product-focused groups can function as “motherships” that “spin off” task forces.

 

If you’ve made it this far, thanks for reading my rambling email. 

 

Thanks,

Hart

 

From: tsc@... [mailto:tsc@...] On Behalf Of Mic Bowman
Sent: Friday, September 13, 2019 9:48 AM
To: Brian Behlendorf <bbehlendorf@...>
Cc: Hyperledger List <tsc@...>
Subject: Re: [Hyperledger TSC] working groups

 

 

> I believe if we set the expectation that the working groups be 

> driven by the projects themselves - that is, the rationale for 

> their formation, the bulk of activity, the work products created - 

> come from active maintainers and developers on the existing 

> projects, and not from people who are not writing code, that will 

> self-regulate the number well and I believe give them more

> implicit teeth.  

 

Given where we're at for project participation in working groups... i think this effectively kills working groups (which at this point is a good thing IMO). cross project collaboration doesn't require a working group; in places where it is appropriate it is already happening. the work being done in working groups right now has little impact on the projects themselves. 

 

And I don't really care if we call the "discussive" form a working group or a SIG (its just a label). But... drop expectations of work products from them (move all work product focused activity to a task force that can complete a focused, time-bounded effort.. these have been very successful). Hart suggested quarterly (too frequent) or yearly (probably not frequent enough) reports on who's been participating & what's been discussed is sufficient.

 

--mic

 

 

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 11:21 PM Brian Behlendorf <bbehlendorf@...> wrote:

Please please please let's not call them SIGs! For the sake of avoiding confusion with the existing SIGs and their reporting structure.   I realize that we use WG in a slightly non-standard way compared to other orgs, but if we have ongoing persistent cross-project thematically-organized groups, let's keep calling them Working Groups, OK?  Adding time-bound tightly scoped Task Forces is fine (and what we're already doing, essentially).  Too much semantic thrash makes it difficult to keep everyone on board, is my main point.

 

I am for considering cutting down on the number of Working Groups by rebooting from zero and re-chartering.  I believe if we set the expectation that the working groups be driven by the projects themselves - that is, the rationale for their formation, the bulk of activity, the work products created - come from active maintainers and developers on the existing projects, and not from people who are not writing code, that will self-regulate the number well and I believe give them more implicit teeth.  Imagine restarting from zero WGs, and saying to add a new one, there must be not just interest but commitment from a majority of projects to have at least a representative attend and use it to coordinate their related efforts.  E.g., if the projects don't care enough about coordinating cross-project around the topic of Architecture or Identity to ensure they are involved and attending the calls and participating in conversations and aligning their dev roadmaps, then don't create it.  We need some form of cross-project info sharing outside the context of TSC calls, thematically scoped and ongoing, but not so many that efforts are diffused or fail to hit critical mass. I think that would address criticisms of the WG model to date.

 

Brian

 

On 9/12/19 9:22 AM, Mic Bowman wrote:

per the brief discussion in the TSC this morning, the core proposal from the WG task force is that we replace working groups with technology focused SIGs (where discussions happen) and task forces focused on a short term deliverable (where the deliverable must be completed in less than 6 months, for example). 

 

the list of proposals is here:

 

please comment (and, while we have withdrawn proposals 1 and 2, please read the discussion on them for context). 

 

specifically... here's where we're at:

 

  • Proposal 3: Working groups should be dropped.
  • Proposal 4: Formalize "task force" as a task-specific group with limited scope and fixed time to complete.
  • Proposal 5: A task-force will be required to create a "proposal" and the TSC must approve the proposal.
  • Proposal 6: The task-force leader will be required to report on completion of deliverables.
  • Proposal 7: A task-force that requires additional time, must request an extension from the TSC.
  • Proposal 8: Existing working groups will be converted into a technology focused SIG.

--mic

 

 

-- 
Brian Behlendorf
Executive Director, Hyperledger
bbehlendorf@...
Twitter: @brianbehlendorf

Re: working groups

Mic Bowman
 


> I believe if we set the expectation that the working groups be 
> driven by the projects themselves - that is, the rationale for 
> their formation, the bulk of activity, the work products created - 
> come from active maintainers and developers on the existing 
> projects, and not from people who are not writing code, that will 
> self-regulate the number well and I believe give them more
> implicit teeth.  

Given where we're at for project participation in working groups... i think this effectively kills working groups (which at this point is a good thing IMO). cross project collaboration doesn't require a working group; in places where it is appropriate it is already happening. the work being done in working groups right now has little impact on the projects themselves. 

And I don't really care if we call the "discussive" form a working group or a SIG (its just a label). But... drop expectations of work products from them (move all work product focused activity to a task force that can complete a focused, time-bounded effort.. these have been very successful). Hart suggested quarterly (too frequent) or yearly (probably not frequent enough) reports on who's been participating & what's been discussed is sufficient.

--mic


On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 11:21 PM Brian Behlendorf <bbehlendorf@...> wrote:
Please please please let's not call them SIGs! For the sake of avoiding confusion with the existing SIGs and their reporting structure.   I realize that we use WG in a slightly non-standard way compared to other orgs, but if we have ongoing persistent cross-project thematically-organized groups, let's keep calling them Working Groups, OK?  Adding time-bound tightly scoped Task Forces is fine (and what we're already doing, essentially).  Too much semantic thrash makes it difficult to keep everyone on board, is my main point.

I am for considering cutting down on the number of Working Groups by rebooting from zero and re-chartering.  I believe if we set the expectation that the working groups be driven by the projects themselves - that is, the rationale for their formation, the bulk of activity, the work products created - come from active maintainers and developers on the existing projects, and not from people who are not writing code, that will self-regulate the number well and I believe give them more implicit teeth.  Imagine restarting from zero WGs, and saying to add a new one, there must be not just interest but commitment from a majority of projects to have at least a representative attend and use it to coordinate their related efforts.  E.g., if the projects don't care enough about coordinating cross-project around the topic of Architecture or Identity to ensure they are involved and attending the calls and participating in conversations and aligning their dev roadmaps, then don't create it.  We need some form of cross-project info sharing outside the context of TSC calls, thematically scoped and ongoing, but not so many that efforts are diffused or fail to hit critical mass. I think that would address criticisms of the WG model to date.

Brian

On 9/12/19 9:22 AM, Mic Bowman wrote:
per the brief discussion in the TSC this morning, the core proposal from the WG task force is that we replace working groups with technology focused SIGs (where discussions happen) and task forces focused on a short term deliverable (where the deliverable must be completed in less than 6 months, for example). 

the list of proposals is here:

please comment (and, while we have withdrawn proposals 1 and 2, please read the discussion on them for context). 

specifically... here's where we're at:

  • Proposal 3: Working groups should be dropped.
  • Proposal 4: Formalize "task force" as a task-specific group with limited scope and fixed time to complete.
  • Proposal 5: A task-force will be required to create a "proposal" and the TSC must approve the proposal.
  • Proposal 6: The task-force leader will be required to report on completion of deliverables.
  • Proposal 7: A task-force that requires additional time, must request an extension from the TSC.
  • Proposal 8: Existing working groups will be converted into a technology focused SIG.
--mic


-- 
Brian Behlendorf
Executive Director, Hyperledger
bbehlendorf@...
Twitter: @brianbehlendorf

Re: working groups

Middleton, Dan
 

I agree with this idea of rebooting anything not formed in the last 6 months and structuring them around a clear time-bounded deliverable based on project involvement.

 

Dan

 

From: <tsc@...> on behalf of Brian Behlendorf <bbehlendorf@...>
Date: Friday, September 13, 2019 at 9:21 AM
To: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Subject: Re: [Hyperledger TSC] working groups

 

Please please please let's not call them SIGs! For the sake of avoiding confusion with the existing SIGs and their reporting structure.   I realize that we use WG in a slightly non-standard way compared to other orgs, but if we have ongoing persistent cross-project thematically-organized groups, let's keep calling them Working Groups, OK?  Adding time-bound tightly scoped Task Forces is fine (and what we're already doing, essentially).  Too much semantic thrash makes it difficult to keep everyone on board, is my main point.

 

I am for considering cutting down on the number of Working Groups by rebooting from zero and re-chartering.  I believe if we set the expectation that the working groups be driven by the projects themselves - that is, the rationale for their formation, the bulk of activity, the work products created - come from active maintainers and developers on the existing projects, and not from people who are not writing code, that will self-regulate the number well and I believe give them more implicit teeth.  Imagine restarting from zero WGs, and saying to add a new one, there must be not just interest but commitment from a majority of projects to have at least a representative attend and use it to coordinate their related efforts.  E.g., if the projects don't care enough about coordinating cross-project around the topic of Architecture or Identity to ensure they are involved and attending the calls and participating in conversations and aligning their dev roadmaps, then don't create it.  We need some form of cross-project info sharing outside the context of TSC calls, thematically scoped and ongoing, but not so many that efforts are diffused or fail to hit critical mass. I think that would address criticisms of the WG model to date.

 

Brian

 

On 9/12/19 9:22 AM, Mic Bowman wrote:

per the brief discussion in the TSC this morning, the core proposal from the WG task force is that we replace working groups with technology focused SIGs (where discussions happen) and task forces focused on a short term deliverable (where the deliverable must be completed in less than 6 months, for example). 

 

the list of proposals is here:

 

please comment (and, while we have withdrawn proposals 1 and 2, please read the discussion on them for context). 

 

specifically... here's where we're at:

 

  • Proposal 3: Working groups should be dropped.
  • Proposal 4: Formalize "task force" as a task-specific group with limited scope and fixed time to complete.
  • Proposal 5: A task-force will be required to create a "proposal" and the TSC must approve the proposal.
  • Proposal 6: The task-force leader will be required to report on completion of deliverables.
  • Proposal 7: A task-force that requires additional time, must request an extension from the TSC.
  • Proposal 8: Existing working groups will be converted into a technology focused SIG.

--mic

 

 

-- 
Brian Behlendorf
Executive Director, Hyperledger
bbehlendorf@...
Twitter: @brianbehlendorf

Re: working groups

Brian Behlendorf
 

Please please please let's not call them SIGs! For the sake of avoiding confusion with the existing SIGs and their reporting structure.   I realize that we use WG in a slightly non-standard way compared to other orgs, but if we have ongoing persistent cross-project thematically-organized groups, let's keep calling them Working Groups, OK?  Adding time-bound tightly scoped Task Forces is fine (and what we're already doing, essentially).  Too much semantic thrash makes it difficult to keep everyone on board, is my main point.

I am for considering cutting down on the number of Working Groups by rebooting from zero and re-chartering.  I believe if we set the expectation that the working groups be driven by the projects themselves - that is, the rationale for their formation, the bulk of activity, the work products created - come from active maintainers and developers on the existing projects, and not from people who are not writing code, that will self-regulate the number well and I believe give them more implicit teeth.  Imagine restarting from zero WGs, and saying to add a new one, there must be not just interest but commitment from a majority of projects to have at least a representative attend and use it to coordinate their related efforts.  E.g., if the projects don't care enough about coordinating cross-project around the topic of Architecture or Identity to ensure they are involved and attending the calls and participating in conversations and aligning their dev roadmaps, then don't create it.  We need some form of cross-project info sharing outside the context of TSC calls, thematically scoped and ongoing, but not so many that efforts are diffused or fail to hit critical mass. I think that would address criticisms of the WG model to date.

Brian

On 9/12/19 9:22 AM, Mic Bowman wrote:
per the brief discussion in the TSC this morning, the core proposal from the WG task force is that we replace working groups with technology focused SIGs (where discussions happen) and task forces focused on a short term deliverable (where the deliverable must be completed in less than 6 months, for example). 

the list of proposals is here:

please comment (and, while we have withdrawn proposals 1 and 2, please read the discussion on them for context). 

specifically... here's where we're at:

  • Proposal 3: Working groups should be dropped.
  • Proposal 4: Formalize "task force" as a task-specific group with limited scope and fixed time to complete.
  • Proposal 5: A task-force will be required to create a "proposal" and the TSC must approve the proposal.
  • Proposal 6: The task-force leader will be required to report on completion of deliverables.
  • Proposal 7: A task-force that requires additional time, must request an extension from the TSC.
  • Proposal 8: Existing working groups will be converted into a technology focused SIG.
--mic


-- 
Brian Behlendorf
Executive Director, Hyperledger
bbehlendorf@...
Twitter: @brianbehlendorf

working groups

Mic Bowman
 

per the brief discussion in the TSC this morning, the core proposal from the WG task force is that we replace working groups with technology focused SIGs (where discussions happen) and task forces focused on a short term deliverable (where the deliverable must be completed in less than 6 months, for example). 

the list of proposals is here:

please comment (and, while we have withdrawn proposals 1 and 2, please read the discussion on them for context). 

specifically... here's where we're at:

  • Proposal 3: Working groups should be dropped.
  • Proposal 4: Formalize "task force" as a task-specific group with limited scope and fixed time to complete.
  • Proposal 5: A task-force will be required to create a "proposal" and the TSC must approve the proposal.
  • Proposal 6: The task-force leader will be required to report on completion of deliverables.
  • Proposal 7: A task-force that requires additional time, must request an extension from the TSC.
  • Proposal 8: Existing working groups will be converted into a technology focused SIG.
--mic

Upcoming Event: DCIWG Quarterly Report reminder - Thu, 09/12/2019 9:00am-10:00am #cal-reminder

tsc@lists.hyperledger.org Calendar <tsc@...>
 

Reminder: DCIWG Quarterly Report reminder

When: Thursday, 12 September 2019, 9:00am to 10:00am, (GMT-07:00) America/Los Angeles

View Event

Description: Reminder: Hyperledger DCIWG Quarterly Update Due #tsc-project-update

When: At the end of the month

View Event

Organizer: community-architects@hyperledger.org

Description: The Hyperledger DCIWG update to the TSC is due at the end of the month.  Please schedule a time to add a review on an upcoming TSC call and please review the update at TSC Project Updates prior to the meeting and add your questions to the update.

Upcoming Event: Hyperledger Quilt Quarterly Update Due #tsc-project-update - Thu, 09/19/2019 #cal-reminder #tsc-project-update

tsc@lists.hyperledger.org Calendar <tsc@...>
 

Reminder: Hyperledger Quilt Quarterly Update Due #tsc-project-update

When: Thursday, 19 September 2019

View Event

Organizer: community-architects@...

Description: The Hyperledger Quilt update to the TSC was due 16 September, 2019, and it will be presented to the TSC on 19 September, 2019. Please review the update at TSC Project Updates prior to the meeting and add your questions to the update.

Re: Results of TSC election

Arnaud Le Hors
 

Thank you all. I'm really honored to serve as chair.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Blockchain & Web Open Technologies - IBM




From:        "Dan O'Prey via Lists.Hyperledger.Org" <dan=digitalasset.com@...>
To:        "Middleton, Dan" <dan.middleton@...>
Cc:        tsc@...
Date:        09/11/2019 06:18 PM
Subject:        [EXTERNAL] Re: [Hyperledger TSC] Results of TSC election
Sent by:        tsc@...




Congratulations again to Arnaud!

And thank you to Dan for the awesome work representing the TSC on the board over the past year. Exemplary job.

Dan O'Prey

CMO & Head of Community / +1 646 647 5957
Digital Asset, creators of DAML


On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 12:07 PM Middleton, Dan <dan.middleton@...> wrote:
Congratulations, Arnaud. I’m happy to have the chair role in good hands.
 
Best,
 
Dan Middleton
Principal Engineer
Intel
 
 
From: <tsc@...> on behalf of Ry Jones <rjones@...>
Date:
Wednesday, September 11, 2019 at 6:01 PM
To:
TSC <
tsc@...>
Subject:
[Hyperledger TSC] Results of TSC election

 
Hi,
Please welcome the new TSC chair - Arnaud J Le Hors
Ry

--

Ry Jones
Community Architect, Hyperledger
Chat@rjones

This message, and any attachments, is for the intended recipient(s) only, may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or proprietary and subject to important terms and conditions available at 
http://www.digitalasset.com/emaildisclaimer.html. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message.



Re: Results of TSC election

Christopher Ferris
 

Congrats, Arnaud!

Dan, thanks for your leadership over the past year. Hyperledger has grown and prospered during your tenure. Let’s work to continue that trend even as we look to ways to increase cross project collaboration and integration.

Cheers

Chris

On Sep 11, 2019, at 11:08 AM, Dan O'Prey via Lists.Hyperledger.Org <dan=digitalasset.com@...> wrote:

Congratulations again to Arnaud!

And thank you to Dan for the awesome work representing the TSC on the board over the past year. Exemplary job.

Dan O'Prey

CMO & Head of Community / +1 646 647 5957
Digital Asset, creators of DAML


On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 12:07 PM Middleton, Dan <dan.middleton@...> wrote:

Congratulations, Arnaud. I’m happy to have the chair role in good hands.

 

Best,

 

Dan Middleton

Principal Engineer

Intel

 

 

From: <tsc@...> on behalf of Ry Jones <rjones@...>
Date: Wednesday, September 11, 2019 at 6:01 PM
To: TSC <tsc@...>
Subject: [Hyperledger TSC] Results of TSC election

 

Hi,

Please welcome the new TSC chair - Arnaud J Le Hors

Ry


--

Ry Jones

Community Architect, Hyperledger


This message, and any attachments, is for the intended recipient(s) only, may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or proprietary and subject to important terms and conditions available at http://www.digitalasset.com/emaildisclaimer.html. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message.

Re: Results of TSC election

Dan O'Prey
 

Congratulations again to Arnaud!

And thank you to Dan for the awesome work representing the TSC on the board over the past year. Exemplary job.

Dan O'Prey

CMO & Head of Community / +1 646 647 5957
Digital Asset, creators of DAML


On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 12:07 PM Middleton, Dan <dan.middleton@...> wrote:

Congratulations, Arnaud. I’m happy to have the chair role in good hands.

 

Best,

 

Dan Middleton

Principal Engineer

Intel

 

 

From: <tsc@...> on behalf of Ry Jones <rjones@...>
Date: Wednesday, September 11, 2019 at 6:01 PM
To: TSC <tsc@...>
Subject: [Hyperledger TSC] Results of TSC election

 

Hi,

Please welcome the new TSC chair - Arnaud J Le Hors

Ry


--

Ry Jones

Community Architect, Hyperledger


This message, and any attachments, is for the intended recipient(s) only, may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or proprietary and subject to important terms and conditions available at http://www.digitalasset.com/emaildisclaimer.html. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message.

Re: Results of TSC election

Middleton, Dan
 

Congratulations, Arnaud. I’m happy to have the chair role in good hands.

 

Best,

 

Dan Middleton

Principal Engineer

Intel

 

 

From: <tsc@...> on behalf of Ry Jones <rjones@...>
Date: Wednesday, September 11, 2019 at 6:01 PM
To: TSC <tsc@...>
Subject: [Hyperledger TSC] Results of TSC election

 

Hi,

Please welcome the new TSC chair - Arnaud J Le Hors

Ry


--

Ry Jones

Community Architect, Hyperledger

Results of TSC election

Ry Jones
 

Hi,
Please welcome the new TSC chair - Arnaud J Le Hors
Ry

--
Ry Jones
Community Architect, Hyperledger

Re: Call for volunteers: Hyperledger Global Forum Program Committee

Daniela Barbosa
 

Two reminders regarding Hyperledger Global Forum.

Hyperledger Global Forum Program Committee - Nominations close today September 11th midnight PST. Please see details in Brian's post and if you are interested please nominate yourself for the Program Committee.

Also, keep in mind the Hyperledger Global Forum CFP deadline is rapidly approaching, please submit your proposals by Sept 27th:  https://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/hyperledger-global-forum-2020/

Questions? Please let us know.

~daniela
VP, World Wide Alliances, Hyperledger

Re: Contributor + Marketing call

Dan O'Prey
 

Hope to see as many of you as possible there! Excited for the marketing and technical communities to work more closely together.

Dan O'Prey

CMO & Head of Community / +1 646 647 5957
Digital Asset, creators of DAML


On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 2:31 AM Middleton, Dan <dan.middleton@...> wrote:

Hi Contributors,

 

Reminder that the Marketing Committee is reaching out to stay engaged on how your projects are marketed. The first joint meeting is Sept 11 at 9am PT:

 

The purpose of this call is to discuss marketing related initiatives around the Hyperledger projects and community. This is a great opportunity for project maintainers and contributors to learn how they can get involved in many aspects of marketing including overall messaging, events, content, social media, and PR, to further help the public hear about and understand Hyperledger and its community. Goal(s): Improve the communication between marketing and technical leaders in the community Gain guidance and involvement from Hyperledger project technical experts in marketing initiatives Understand how we can better work together to amplify Hyperledger’s public presence and marketing messages Who should join: Maintainers, active contributors to Hyperledger projects Dial in information: The second Wednesday of every month Kick off call: Wednesday, Sept 11 at 9am PT Join Zoom Meeting https://zoom.us/j/982600073 One tap mobile +16465588656,,982600073# US (New York) +16699006833,,982600073# US (San Jose) Dial by your location +1 646 558 8656 US (New York) +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose) 877 369 0926 US Toll-free 855 880 1246 US Toll-free +1 647 558 0588 Canada 855 703 8985 Canada Toll-free Meeting ID: 982 600 073 Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/abaoIu7JMk Hosted by: Jessica Rampen (Sr. Manager of Marketing Communications) Dan O’Prey (Hyperledger MC chair) Alissa Worley (Hyperledger MC vice chair)

 

Regards,

Dan


This message, and any attachments, is for the intended recipient(s) only, may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or proprietary and subject to important terms and conditions available at http://www.digitalasset.com/emaildisclaimer.html. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message.

Upcoming Event: Hyperledger Ursa Quarterly Update Due #tsc-project-update - Thu, 09/12/2019 #cal-reminder #tsc-project-update

tsc@lists.hyperledger.org Calendar <tsc@...>
 

Reminder: Hyperledger Ursa Quarterly Update Due #tsc-project-update

When: Thursday, 12 September 2019

View Event

Organizer: community-architects@...

Description: The Hyperledger Ursa update to the TSC was due 9 September, 2019, and it will be presented to the TSC on 12 September, 2019. Please review the update at TSC Project Updates prior to the meeting and add your questions to the update.

Upcoming Event: Hyperledger Learning Materials Development WG Quarterly Update Due #tsc-wg-update - Thu, 09/12/2019 #tsc-wg-update #cal-reminder

tsc@lists.hyperledger.org Calendar <tsc@...>
 

Reminder: Hyperledger Learning Materials Development WG Quarterly Update Due #tsc-wg-update

When: Thursday, 12 September 2019

View Event

Organizer: community-architects@...

Description: The Hyperledger Learning Materials Development WG update to the TSC was due 9 September, 2019, and it will be presented to the TSC on 12 September, 2019. Please review the update at TSC Working Group Updates prior to the meeting and add your questions to the update.

Contributor + Marketing call

Middleton, Dan
 

Hi Contributors,

 

Reminder that the Marketing Committee is reaching out to stay engaged on how your projects are marketed. The first joint meeting is Sept 11 at 9am PT:

 

The purpose of this call is to discuss marketing related initiatives around the Hyperledger projects and community. This is a great opportunity for project maintainers and contributors to learn how they can get involved in many aspects of marketing including overall messaging, events, content, social media, and PR, to further help the public hear about and understand Hyperledger and its community. Goal(s): Improve the communication between marketing and technical leaders in the community Gain guidance and involvement from Hyperledger project technical experts in marketing initiatives Understand how we can better work together to amplify Hyperledger’s public presence and marketing messages Who should join: Maintainers, active contributors to Hyperledger projects Dial in information: The second Wednesday of every month Kick off call: Wednesday, Sept 11 at 9am PT Join Zoom Meeting https://zoom.us/j/982600073 One tap mobile +16465588656,,982600073# US (New York) +16699006833,,982600073# US (San Jose) Dial by your location +1 646 558 8656 US (New York) +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose) 877 369 0926 US Toll-free 855 880 1246 US Toll-free +1 647 558 0588 Canada 855 703 8985 Canada Toll-free Meeting ID: 982 600 073 Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/abaoIu7JMk Hosted by: Jessica Rampen (Sr. Manager of Marketing Communications) Dan O’Prey (Hyperledger MC chair) Alissa Worley (Hyperledger MC vice chair)

 

Regards,

Dan

Re: Congratulations to the members of the 2019-2020 TSC!

VIPIN BHARATHAN
 


Hi Brian/Todd/Bob/all,

It is unfortunate that the happy incidence of having gender diversity is tied  to the debate about over-representation of a single firm on the TSC. The result is more diversity in one dimension as we lose diversity in another.

A 33%  turnout is not good for both.  It has been shown that in a low turnout election, committed and well organized groups dominate. 

If gender diversity was the result of a 60+% turnout, it would have appeared "more real".
A 60+% turnout would have been better to justify the domination of a single firm on the TSC.  

Increasing turnout is also needed for truer democracy in general. Increasing turnout is quite difficult in this age of cynicism and apathy. How do we break through the ice? A question that needs to be answered through concrete steps for stimulating turnout in the next election. I had provided some pointers to the election officer, maybe a little too late. There are well known techniques for this. We need to adopt them.

This is in addition to "who gets to participate in the election" which should be "everyone that contributes technical artifacts to Hyperledger"; including the contributors on the wiki and the SIG participants in my view. The github query does not measure technical artifacts. I could contribute a single spelling correction in github and be included very easily; whereas someone who contributes only an extensive technical blog or article is excluded; if they are not on a Working Group list.

Best,
Vipin
 

dlt.nyc
Vipin Bharathan
Enterprise Blockchain Consultant
vip@...


From: tsc@... <tsc@...> on behalf of Todd Little via Lists.Hyperledger.Org <todd.little=oracle.com@...>
Sent: Saturday, September 7, 2019 1:45 PM
To: tsc@... <tsc@...>
Cc: tsc@... <tsc@...>
Subject: Re: [Hyperledger TSC] Congratulations to the members of the 2019-2020 TSC!
 
Hi Brian,

Thanks for your well reasoned response.  I don't want to drag this down into a rat hole or spilt milk debate.  I was merely trying to point out the irony of lack of diversity in the TSC vs the other Hyperledger bodies.  The governing body by it's membership definition forces diversity and allows anyone with sufficient financial resources to have a seat at the table.  For Hyperledger projects to exit incubation they must show sufficient diversity of contributors, although that can be hard to measure as Ry has discovered in this last election process.  So it just seems a little odd to me that there aren't any diversity requirements for the TSC.  What would your response be if after the TSC elections next year, every member was employed by some organization that wasn't even a member of Hyperledger?  It is theoretically possible and given the voting process, i.e., who can vote, completely feasible.

You are correct in that the TSC members are individuals and not companies, but everyone one of them knows who butters their bread.  I also sense that there is some dissatisfaction over the common use of Hyperledger as some single thing when the reference is really referring to Fabric.  Fabric and Hyperledger when talking about projects are often used interchangeably.  For good or bad, this is likely a result of IBM's significant contributions to Fabric, and the ability for Fabric to run without specific hardware (sorry Mic!).  Having nearly half the TSC membership made up of individuals (not lost on me) working for one company (hopefully not lost on you), seems specious at best and doesn't help elevate the other Hyperledger projects to be on par with Fabric.

I also wonder at times about the role of the TSC as it seems that much of the TSC time is spent on things that aren't technical, at least not deeply so.  Is the whole project lifecycle debate a technical debate?  The current discussions about working groups and their roles really a technical issue the TSC should be debating?  I also wonder about what control or sway the TSC has on any project or should have on any project.  Are the Hyperledger projects just a bunch of technology projects with little intersection and no goal of convergence?  I mean every blockchain needs identity, but what is happening in the platforms to consolidate around an identity project such as Indy?  Likewise there are lots of issues around privacy and confidentiality, yet the privacy and confidentiality working group has serious concerns about what if any impact their work will have on the platforms.  If there is no impact, why should we continue the working group?  If there is no impact, what makes something a Hyperledger project other than the blessing of the TSC?  And why would a project want to join Hyperledger other than for the marketing value it brings if joining has effectively zero impact on the project direction?

Respectfully,
Todd