Date   
Re: New Project Proposal: Fabric Desktop

Middleton, Dan
 

Hi Yi Deng,

Thank you for the proposal. You may see a comment in the proposal document that Hyperledger requires apache 2.0 licenses for all projects. I hope that won’t be difficult for you to relicense from GPL.

 

Before discussing the proposal in the Technical Steering Committee I would appreciate hearing some feedback on the mail list from any Fabric maintainers.

 

I would also find a comparison with Composer edifying.

 

Thanks,

Dan Middleton

Hyperledger TSC Chair

 

From: <tsc@...> on behalf of Yi DENG <michaelyideng@...>
Date: Friday, November 9, 2018 at 3:32 AM
To: "araticsu@..." <araticsu@...>
Cc: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Subject: Re: [Hyperledger TSC] New Project Proposal: Fabric Desktop

 

Hi Sijie Wu, 

 

In your dichotomy, this desktop is more on  “contract/chaincode side” side. It works with existed fabric networks, and doesn't deploys a network. It is just a thin wrapper of SDKs, which interact with fabric networks but not deploy those.  

 

 

On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 4:48 PM sijie wu <araticsu@...> wrote:

not sure whether this is more focused on “deploy / orchestration” side, or “contract / chaincode side” side, put this tradeoff / focus aside,  js / electron is good


2018119日,下午3:51Yi DENG <michaelyideng@...> 写道:

Dear TSC and all, 

It is Yi. Recently, we developed a desktop app for Fabric. It is general-purpose, in other words, an API tool with GUI. We would like to contribute it to Hyperledger. Looking forward to discussion at TSC meeting. I can make a 5-minutes demonstration about what it is and how to use it.

 

Proposal:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XX-I1uud0DV2TVRj6H5w8r5OaX0W0VCZqveeLqMBqBU/edit

 

Code repository:

https://github.com/blockchain-desktop/hyperledger-fabric-desktop

 

----

Yi DENG

Senior Software Engineer - Yonyou


 

--

_________________________

羿

Yi DENG

Hyperledger Burrow Quarterly Update Due #tsc-project-update - Thu, 11/15/18 #tsc-project-update #cal-reminder

tsc@lists.hyperledger.org Calendar <tsc@...>
 

Reminder:
Hyperledger Burrow Quarterly Update Due #tsc-project-update

When:
Thursday, 15 November 2018

Organizer:
tkuhrt@...

Description:
The Hyperledger Burrow project update to the TSC was due November 12, 2018, and it will be presented to the TSC on November 15, 2018. Please review prior to the meeting and bring your questions.

View Event

Re: New Project Proposal: Fabric Desktop

Yi DENG
 

Hi Sijie Wu, 

In your dichotomy, this desktop is more on  “contract/chaincode side” side. It works with existed fabric networks, and doesn't deploys a network. It is just a thin wrapper of SDKs, which interact with fabric networks but not deploy those.  


On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 4:48 PM sijie wu <araticsu@...> wrote:
not sure whether this is more focused on “deploy / orchestration” side, or “contract / chaincode side” side, put this tradeoff / focus aside,  js / electron is good

在 2018年11月9日,下午3:51,Yi DENG <michaelyideng@...> 写道:

Dear TSC and all, 

It is Yi. Recently, we developed a desktop app for Fabric. It is general-purpose, in other words, an API tool with GUI.
We would like to contribute it to Hyperledger. Looking forward to discussion at TSC meeting. I can make a 5-minutes demonstration about what it is and how to use it.

 

Proposal:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XX-I1uud0DV2TVRj6H5w8r5OaX0W0VCZqveeLqMBqBU/edit

 

Code repository:

https://github.com/blockchain-desktop/hyperledger-fabric-desktop

 

----

Yi DENG

Senior Software Engineer - Yonyou



--
_________________________
邓羿
Yi DENG

Re: New Project Proposal: Fabric Desktop

sijie wu
 

not sure whether this is more focused on “deploy / orchestration” side, or “contract / chaincode side” side, put this tradeoff / focus aside,  js / electron is good

在 2018年11月9日,下午3:51,Yi DENG <michaelyideng@...> 写道:

Dear TSC and all, 

It is Yi. Recently, we developed a desktop app for Fabric. It is general-purpose, in other words, an API tool with GUI.
We would like to contribute it to Hyperledger. Looking forward to discussion at TSC meeting. I can make a 5-minutes demonstration about what it is and how to use it.

 

Proposal:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XX-I1uud0DV2TVRj6H5w8r5OaX0W0VCZqveeLqMBqBU/edit

 

Code repository:

https://github.com/blockchain-desktop/hyperledger-fabric-desktop

 

----

Yi DENG

Senior Software Engineer - Yonyou

New Project Proposal: Fabric Desktop

Yi DENG
 

Dear TSC and all, 

It is Yi. Recently, we developed a desktop app for Fabric. It is general-purpose, in other words, an API tool with GUI.
We would like to contribute it to Hyperledger. Looking forward to discussion at TSC meeting. I can make a 5-minutes demonstration about what it is and how to use it.

 

Proposal:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XX-I1uud0DV2TVRj6H5w8r5OaX0W0VCZqveeLqMBqBU/edit

 

Code repository:

https://github.com/blockchain-desktop/hyperledger-fabric-desktop

 

----

Yi DENG

Senior Software Engineer - Yonyou

Minutes for November 8th, 2018

Tracy Kuhrt <tkuhrt@...>
 

Hyperledger Project

Technical Steering Committee (TSC) Meeting

November 8, 2018 (7:00am - 8:00am PT)

via Zoom


TSC Members

Arnaud Le Hors

Yes

Baohua Yang

Yes

Binh Nguyen

Yes

Christopher Ferris


Dan Middleton

Yes

Hart Montgomery

Yes

Kelly Olson

Yes

Mark Wagner

Yes

Mic Bowman

Yes

Nathan George


Silas Davis

Yes


Resources:


Upcoming Meeting Cancellations

  • November 22nd - Thanksgiving holiday in the US

  • December 20th and 27th - End of the year holidays

  • Should we also cancel the December 13th meeting because of HGF? TSC members should comment on #tsc channel regarding whether they will be in Basel. We will decide based on schedule and attendees as to whether we should cancel.


Event Reminders


Quarterly project updates

  • Hyperledger Indy update

    • Sam Curren presented

    • Happy with progress, but there is still more to do

    • 15000 commits with 131 contributors

    • New sub-project: Hyperledger Indy Catalyst - community holder for verifiable credentials

    • A lot of work is going on surrounding agents

    • What is Indy doing around performance and scalability? Can someone from Indy represent at the PSWG? Sprint demos are posted on YouTube. The last four have had information on the work that has been done around performance and scalability.

    • Single sprint vs. multiple team sprints - difficult in the community to line up work that is dependent on other things. Misalignment of schedules will delay dependent work. Trying to have better visibility in the overall plan so that dependencies can be seen.

    • Identity WG would like closer involvement and input from Hyperledger Indy community. Indy community would like to have more cross-collaboration from DIF and the Identity WG


Quarterly WG updates

  • None until next quarter


Supply Chain

  • Proposal

    • Have we gone to the board regarding whether this fits within the scope of Hyperledger? Agenda topic for the next Governing Board meeting includes charter/scope question.

    • Where does this project end and the application begin? Example use cases will inform the design to find commonalities across the use cases. An application would be how the user interacts with the system. This project does not focus on those, but on making application development easier for supply chains.

    • Sawtooth has a sample application. Which modules would be part of the project? The interface/Web application (Universal client RFC) would be inside the project to make it easier to generate the client application, but the instantiation of a specific application would be outside of this project.

    • Will the project describe/prescribe data objects for widgets, locations, etc? Will the project be providing the definition for assets? We would be giving them a representation for industry-standard assets for a starting place or wholly reusable component for the specific application. A desire to have more scaffolding above the key/value pair.

    • What will be produced? Data formats for assets? How do I use this with the different Hyperledger frameworks (e.g., Fabric)? Contract libraries will be built initially based on WASM. Data models and data types, universal client generator.

    • This project presumes portability between platforms. How are we going to make that a reality? Chicken/egg problem where this may be a project that helps the conversation.

    • Who is committing to supporting more than one platform? Who is working on this other than Sawtooth committers? Experience shows that without support from other platforms people do not show up to do the work.

    • There seem to be a number of discussions going on. Request that we focus on #2.

      • Issue #1: What does the charter really say? Not a TSC decision.

      • Issue #2: Specificity of the proposal

      • Issue #3: Cross-platform is difficult to realize. We have two ways to approach this: (1) follow through on the commitments ahead of time for cross-platform or (2) we drop this requirement. Whatever we decide, we need to apply both going forward and looking backward.



----
Tracy Kuhrt
Community Architect, Hyperledger
The Linux Foundation
tkuhrt@...
Hyperledger Chat: @tkuhrt

Re: Agenda for November 8th, 2018

Olson, Kelly M <kelly.m.olson@...>
 

Here is the new TSC link for those that may not have updated: https://zoom.us/my/hyperledger.community.backup

 

kelly

 

From: <tsc@...> on behalf of Tracy Kuhrt <tkuhrt@...>
Date: Wednesday, November 7, 2018 at 1:56 PM
To: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Subject: [Hyperledger TSC] Agenda for November 8th, 2018

 

·  Event Reminders

o    APAC Hackfest -- week of March 4th (details coming soon)

o    Schedule announced for Hyperledger Global Forum, December 12-15 (Basel, Switzerland)

·  Quarterly project updates

o    Nov 8: Hyperledger Indy update

o    Nov 15: Hyperledger Burrow

o    Nov 15: Hyperledger Composer deferred to next week due to lack of update for the second week

·  Quarterly WG updates

o    None until next quarter

·  Supply Chain proposal

----
Tracy Kuhrt
Community Architect, Hyperledger
The Linux Foundation
tkuhrt@...

Hyperledger Chat: @tkuhrt

Re: Agenda for November 8th, 2018

Tracy Kuhrt <tkuhrt@...>
 

I also forgot to include the following proposed cancellations on the agenda:
  • November 22nd - Thanksgiving holiday in the US
  • December 20th and 27th - End of the year holidays

----
Tracy Kuhrt
Community Architect, Hyperledger
The Linux Foundation
tkuhrt@...
Hyperledger Chat: @tkuhrt


On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 2:56 PM Tracy Kuhrt <tkuhrt@...> wrote:
  • Quarterly WG updates
    • None until next quarter
----
Tracy Kuhrt
Community Architect, Hyperledger
The Linux Foundation
tkuhrt@...
Hyperledger Chat: @tkuhrt

Agenda for November 8th, 2018

Tracy Kuhrt <tkuhrt@...>
 

  • Quarterly WG updates
    • None until next quarter
----
Tracy Kuhrt
Community Architect, Hyperledger
The Linux Foundation
tkuhrt@...
Hyperledger Chat: @tkuhrt

regrets 11/8

Christopher Ferris
 

Speaking at a conference in Europe.

Chris

Hyperledger Indy Quarterly Update Due #tsc-project-update - Thu, 11/8/18 #tsc-project-update #cal-reminder

tsc@lists.hyperledger.org Calendar <tsc@...>
 

Reminder:
Hyperledger Indy Quarterly Update Due #tsc-project-update

When:
Thursday, 8 November 2018

Organizer:
tkuhrt@...

Description:
The Hyperledger Indy project update to the TSC was due November 5, 2018, and it will be presented to the TSC on November 8, 2018. Please review prior to the meeting and bring your questions.

View Event

Re: supply chain proposal updated

Mic Bowman
 

Has there been any board feedback on this type of proposal?

 

From: tsc@... [mailto:tsc@...] On Behalf Of Middleton, Dan
Sent: Monday, November 5, 2018 6:47 AM
To: tsc@...
Subject: [Hyperledger TSC] supply chain proposal updated

 

Hi,

Thanks everyone for the thorough discussion and feedback of the supply chain proposal.

We’ve gone through the proposal and updated it based on the TSC discussion, the mail thread comments and the doc comments. If you don’t see your feedback addressed please let me know.

Feedback was generally about scope clarification and so we’ve added a new scope section and a lot of specificity to several of the existing sections.

You will also see links now to RFCs with further detail in the designs..

I’ve marked the new text in blue to make it easier to see the changes.

 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1b6ES0bKUK30E2iZizy3vjVEhPn7IvsW5buDo7nFXBE0

 

 

Thanks,

Dan

supply chain proposal updated

Middleton, Dan
 

Hi,

Thanks everyone for the thorough discussion and feedback of the supply chain proposal.

We’ve gone through the proposal and updated it based on the TSC discussion, the mail thread comments and the doc comments. If you don’t see your feedback addressed please let me know.

Feedback was generally about scope clarification and so we’ve added a new scope section and a lot of specificity to several of the existing sections.

You will also see links now to RFCs with further detail in the designs..

I’ve marked the new text in blue to make it easier to see the changes.

 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1b6ES0bKUK30E2iZizy3vjVEhPn7IvsW5buDo7nFXBE0

 

 

Thanks,

Dan

Minutes 01 November 2018

Ry Jones
 

Hyperledger Project

Technical Steering Committee (TSC) Meeting

November 1, 2018 (7:00am - 8:00am PT)

via Zoom


TSC Members

Arnaud Le Hors

Yes

Baohua Yang

Yes

Binh Nguyen

Yes

Christopher Ferris

Yes

Dan Middleton

Yes

Hart Montgomery

Yes

Kelly Olson

Yes

Mark Wagner

Yes

Mic Bowman

Yes

Nathan George

Yes

Silas Davis

Yes


Resources:


Event Reminders


Quarterly project updates

  • November 8th:  Hyperledger Composer update

  • November 8th:  Hyperledger Indy update


Quarterly WG updates

  • Training and Education WG update

    • Time change back to 10:00 AM US/Pacific

    • Attendees come for training and education rather than creating materials

    • Proposed name change to Learning Materials Development WG

    • The website doesn't provide enough detail about what working groups really are and could provide information about what the working groups really do - this is an endemic issue

    • ⅓ of group is developing content, the ⅔ expectations are not met because they want more training

    • Name change has been unanimously approved by TSC

    • Kelly is stepping down as WG chair, starting new Smart Contracts subgroup

    • ~10 regular contributors, ~200 on mailing list

    • Concern about overlap with Architecture WG

    • Has reached out to all projects for support - only Fabric and Iroha have responded


Crypto-lib

  • Proposal

    • Changes were accepted

    • Vote to accept has been unanimously approved by TSC

    • Hart will work to clear the name with legal, marketing prior to the creation of repos, mailing lists, chat channels, etc.


Testnet discussion/proposal

  • No agreement yet on what a testnet is or how we use it


November 8: Supply Chain proposal


--
Ry Jones
Community Architect, Hyperledger
Chat: @ry

Re: Agenda: 01 November 2018

Baohua Yang
 

This is a nice reminder! 

And would suggest we include the time of popular timezones at the agenda email in case of mistakes (especially for people do not have winter-summer clock adjustment).

e.g., ET, PST, CST...

Thanks!


On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 4:23 AM mark wagner <mwagner@...> wrote:
For those non US based folks, the US will change to Standard time until this upcoming weekend. I believe that much of the world has already moved  to Standard time so the meeting may be an hour earlier for you this week.

-mark

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 4:07 PM, Ry Jones <rjones@...> wrote:
  • Event Reminders
    • APAC Hackfest -- week of March 4th (details coming soon)
    • Schedule announced for Hyperledger Global Forum, December 12-15 (Basel, Switzerland)
  • TSC meeting Zoom link has changed
  • Nov 8: Supply Chain proposal
--
Ry Jones
Community Architect, Hyperledger
Chat: @ry




--
Mark Wagner
Senior Principal Software Engineer
Performance and Scalability
Red Hat, Inc



--
Best wishes!

Baohua Yang

New Zoom for TSC

Todd Benzies <tbenzies@...>
 

Please update your records to use the updated Zoom for the TSC call tomorrow (and from here forward).

Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/my/hyperledger.community.backup

Or iPhone one-tap :
US: +16699006833,,6223336701# or +16465588656,,6223336701# 
Or Telephone:
Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location): 
US: +1 669 900 6833 or +1 646 558 8656 or +1 877 369 0926 (Toll Free) or +1 855 880 1246 (Toll Free)
Meeting ID: 622-333-6701
International numbers available: https://zoom.us/zoomconference?m=BYDz1WGXJTTJ_s4_zumD9hqKjJv-Whgs

--
Todd Benzies
Sr. Director, Program Management & Operations
The Linux Foundation
+1 (415) 412-0310 (m)

Re: Agenda: 01 November 2018

mark wagner
 

For those non US based folks, the US will change to Standard time until this upcoming weekend. I believe that much of the world has already moved  to Standard time so the meeting may be an hour earlier for you this week.

-mark

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 4:07 PM, Ry Jones <rjones@...> wrote:
  • Event Reminders
    • APAC Hackfest -- week of March 4th (details coming soon)
    • Schedule announced for Hyperledger Global Forum, December 12-15 (Basel, Switzerland)
  • TSC meeting Zoom link has changed
  • Nov 8: Supply Chain proposal
--
Ry Jones
Community Architect, Hyperledger
Chat: @ry




--
Mark Wagner
Senior Principal Software Engineer
Performance and Scalability
Red Hat, Inc

Agenda: 01 November 2018

Ry Jones
 

  • Event Reminders
    • APAC Hackfest -- week of March 4th (details coming soon)
    • Schedule announced for Hyperledger Global Forum, December 12-15 (Basel, Switzerland)
  • TSC meeting Zoom link has changed
  • Nov 8: Supply Chain proposal
--
Ry Jones
Community Architect, Hyperledger
Chat: @ry

Re: [Hyperledger Architecture WG] [Hyperledger Performance and Scale WG] [Hyperledger Identity WG] [Hyperledger TSC] How can we improve diversity in the Hyperledger technical community?

David Boswell
 

I've been looking into the topic of diversity in open source communities and wanted to share some interesting articles and a specific proposal for something our community can do.

To start, here are some important points made by three different articles:

* The basic structure of open, meritocratic and welcoming communities puts more hurdles in place for some people than others.  There's a great article that looks at how the essay 'The Tyranny of Structurelessness', an article about power structures in the feminist movement, applies to open source communities.  I think the most important line in that article is: “First, we need to recognize that while we all strive to be meritocratic when engaging and involving people we are often predisposed to those who act, talk and think like us.”


* Building on that point, open source projects are biased in favor of contributors who show up with an itch to scratch (they already have a thing in mind they want to do).  Sumana Harihareswara has a great article that points out that not everyone has an itch to scratch when they come to a community and we are sending the message that those people aren't real contributors.  But just like people have different learning styles, if we want to have a more diverse group of contributors we need to recognize that there are different contribution styles as well -- otherwise we keep limiting our contributions to the subset of people who participate in the one way we've promoted as 'the right way to contribute'.


* So we need to put new structures in place for new contributors that don't have an itch to scratch the moment they show up in the community.  Many people are interested in Hyperledger and want to get involved but don't know what to do.  We can match those new people with contribution opportunities and with existing contributors to help them.  And data shows that matching people with mentors does increase diversity -- see this recent Economist article that compares effectiveness of different diversity policies.

https://www.economist.com/united-states/2018/09/29/anti-discrimination-statements-by-employers

The proposal then is to create a formal mentoring program in the community where existing contributors share their knowledge with new contributors and connect them with tasks that the projects need help with that fit their interests and skills.  And there are models out there for how to do this in an open source community.  Mozilla had a mentoring effort that scaled to a large size by having a small group of mentors level up a group of people who then mentored others who then leveled up more people.  The attached image of their mentoring structure shows how this scales up quickly.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
David

A note to our European friends Re: [Hyperledger TSC] Identity Working Group audio call October 31- Happy Halloween

Vipin Bharathan
 


Please note that since Europe has changed its clocks and the US not until this weekend. We are now on a time difference that we are on a time difference that is one hour earlier.  Please join the call one hour earlier than normal. I am in Europe, so we will be all on at the same time,
Hoping to have you all on the call
Best
Vipin 

On Oct 31, 2018, at 10:22 AM, Vipin Bharathan <vipinsun@...> wrote:

Hello all,

Call of the Identity WG today October 31st 12 noon EST will happen on Zoom...(details below). 
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/my/hyperledger.community

Or iPhone one-tap :

US: +16465588656,,4034983298# or +16699006833,,4034983298#

Or Telephone:
Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):

US: +1 646 558 8656 or +1 669 900 6833 or +1 855 880 1246 (Toll Free) or +1 877 369 0926 (Toll Free)

Meeting ID: 403 498 3298

International numbers available: https://zoom.us/u/bAaJoyznpThis is an open call. 

All are welcome.-


Please volunteer:


Meeting minutes:

Happy Halloween!

Agenda:
Announce start of call
Anti-Trust
Welcome new contributors! Steve Ehrlich from BWA (GDPR, right to be forgotten)
Cross WG efforts as well as collaboration with EEA- thoughts
Discuss new material added: IDoT, Iroha, DiDs etc
All other business.

Please participate and collaborate!

Thanks,
Vipin