Re: [Hyperledger Project TSC] Go Client SDK Announcement

Hart Montgomery

Hi Everyone,

I agree with Chris here.  I think a tiered system makes a lot of sense, and will enforce some important communication.  For instance, suppose I wanted to create (for the purposes of example) an RFC 1149 user interface for Fabric.  I should clearly have to have some sort of approval/mild oversight from the core fabric team, even if this is just some form of maintainer sign off/check in every so often.  Otherwise, my project could become neglected or really buggy (and misused by unknowing users), or in some sort of worst case, downright malicious (maybe my avian “interface” steals a lot of user information) and there wouldn’t be a ton of recourse without getting the TSC heavily involved.

On the other hand, I’m OK with projects proliferating (if this is done in a responsible manner).  I think it’s a good thing to have more projects—it means more ownership opportunities, and thus potentially more involvement by different companies and individuals.

So I think the best way to deal with these sorts of proposals is with a dependency system.  I think this is very similar to what Chris is proposing, but a bit more general.  Each new project would need to list the projects it depends on in its proposal, which could be one (like a Fabric SDK depending on Fabric) or potentially many (like maybe Cello or Composer in the future).  These dependencies could obviously change over time as well.  We probably would then want to require (in the proposal) approval from some subset/majority/<whatever> of the maintainers of the projects that the proposed project depends on, and we could additionally require some periodic communication between projects and their dependencies, which could be done without TSC involvement if the higher-level projects wanted.  There can also be a mechanism with which maintainers of a higher-level project can deal with a sub-project that has gotten way out of line.

I think a system like this would have a lot of advantages.  First, it wouldn’t really inconvenience projects that are already in progress.  There already seems to be lots of communication between existing high-level projects and their dependencies, if not a huge overlap of developers, so I don’t think any current efforts would fail the tests we might propose.  This also would address the issues that Mic and Dan raised in the TSC meeting this morning; namely, that it’s difficult for the TSC to know enough of the technical details about various sub-projects to be able to assess any sort of technical merit (or even technical need if project structure gets more complicated in the future).  Requiring a diverse set of maintainers to sign off on these sub-projects (in a federated consensus style!) would allow unaffiliated folks to have much more confidence in the sub-projects.

Also, I am of the opinion that a flexible dependency list could potentially help mitigate some of the balkanization issues Chris brings up below, as, for instance, projects like Cello and Composer could potentially add more dependencies as they grow.  Projects could also be encouraged to have more dependencies as well in certain cases if people think that collaboration should be pushed.

Anyways, I think this is an important topic going forward, and am open to suggestions/questions/comments etc.

From: <hyperledger-tsc-bounces@...> on behalf of Aleksandar Likic via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...>
Date: Friday, March 10, 2017 at 11:43 AM
To: "hyperledger-tsc@..." <hyperledger-tsc@...>

This is an announcement of the Go Client SDK proposal to the Hyperledger community. The proposal is already posted to https://wiki.hyperledger.org/community/proposals.

We propose implementation of Hyperledger Fabric SDK Design Specification v1.0 with extensions in the Go language. At the moment, there is no publicly available implementation of the Fabric SDK written in Go. We propose to enable both Fabric Clients and Peers to use this SDK.

The primary motivation is to allow programs written in Go to interact with the Hyperledger Fabric as clients, as per the Hyperledger Fabric SDK Design Specification v1.0 athttps://docs.google.com/document/d/1R5RtIBMW9fZpli37E5Li5_Q9ve3BnQ4q3gWmGZj6Sv4.

In addition, some of the new Fabric features require extensions to the Client SDK Specification. We are planning to implement client support for these features and extensions in the Fabric Go SDK, and also contribute to the Fabric client specification.

Some of the new Fabric features that require changes to the Client SDK Specification are:

-        ChainCode creating transactions - https://jira.hyperledger.org/browse/FAB-2438 - Ability to create and synchronously execute a new Fabric transaction from user ChainCode.

-        Client Request Broadcast to Specified Subledgers - https://jira.hyperledger.org/browse/FAB-2440 - Ability to broadcast a TP Request to multiple subledgers at once.

-        Self-Signed TCerts - https://jira.hyperledger.org/browse/FAB-2441 - Ability for the Client SDK to generate self-signed TCerts.

-        Handling of Sensitive Data - https://jira.hyperledger.org/browse/FAB-2450 - Ability to mark transactions parameters as “sensitive”.

-        Append Only Endorsement - https://jira.hyperledger.org/browse/FAB-1154 - Ability to have endorsements from peers that are not part of the target channel.

-        Light Chaincode Event - https://jira.hyperledger.org/browse/FAB-2567 - Ability to send a chaincode event to client without committing a transaction.

We propose to host the Go Client SDK code at http://gerrit.hyperledger.org/r/fabric-sdk-go. The repository would have the following branches:

-        master – implementation that is fully compliant with the Client SDK Specification, without non-standard extensions

-        extensions – branch with non-standard extensions.

SecureKey is currently mirroring its internal gerrit fabric-sdk-go repository at https://github.com/securekey/fabric-sdk-go. Implementation currently covers all functions present at the moment in Node.JS Client SDK (https://github.com/hyperledger/fabric-sdk-node) except chaincode deployment and chain initialization. We are using this implementation in our development activities. We are planning to eventually implement the full Client SDK Specification, and also plan to keep it up to date with future SDK changes. As it already implements most SDK features, we expect that it will be used for new development by others whose language of choice is Go.