Re: SIG Request for Support from Technical Community: Labs and technical documents have been created in isolation so far and don’t tend to connect with projects

VIPIN BHARATHAN

As a lab steward I agree with Arnaud on this one. We struggle all the time with lab proposers looking for sponsors. I have stepped in numerous times to sponsor projects that I find worthy. Nothing should stand in the way of contributions to labs.

Digital Transformation Consultant

From: tsc@... <tsc@...> on behalf of Arnaud Le Hors via lists.hyperledger.org <lehors=us.ibm.com@...>
Sent: Monday, February 8, 2021 7:58 AM
To: tracy.a.kuhrt@... <tracy.a.kuhrt@...>
Cc: SIG-Chairs@... <SIG-Chairs@...>; tsc@... <tsc@...>
Subject: Re: [Hyperledger TSC] SIG Request for Support from Technical Community: Labs and technical documents have been created in isolation so far and don’t tend to connect with projects

To the risk of sounding like a broken record, I would like the TSC to consider (again) dropping the requirement for a Lab Sponsor. The whole point of requiring lab proposals to have a sponsor was to filter out possible junk that might be submitted. I claim that the Lab Stewards can do that, and in fact already do that, just fine.

Since the last time I made this proposal it was turned down, I will ask that anyone who insists on keeping the requirement for a Lab Sponsor be put on the list of possible sponsors advertised to lab proposers. :-)

From:        "Kuhrt, Tracy A. via lists.hyperledger.org" <tracy.a.kuhrt=accenture.com@...>
To:        "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Cc:        "SIG-Chairs@..." <SIG-Chairs@...>
Date:        02/04/2021 11:02 PM
Sent by:        tsc@...

On January 11th, I provided a report back on the SIG chair meetingthat I attended. On our TSC call on January 14th, we had some initial discussions about each of the items that I reported back on. It was suggested that I break out the individual items so that if there were any additional thoughts on the topic that we could discuss in a single thread instead of mixing topics.

This is the email to discuss item #3 Labs and technical documents have been created in isolation so far and don’t tend to connect with projects.  Would papers that SIGs created have value for the TSC and for projects in terms of requirements?  Are there ways we can make the Labs process better?  Vipin shared that there were many difficulties using Labs for the Telecom SIG.  Can we review the current Labs process to see how we can remove roadblocks and make it easier?

Here is what has been mentioned on the previous thread so far regarding this topic:

From Tracy:

it seems that there may be some friction in the current lab process that is limiting the usefulness of the Hyperledger Labs for SIGs. It would be helpful to hear from people who have attempted to create a lab and ran into struggles. One of those struggles that we have talked about in the past is the Lab Sponsor. We have discussed how best to gather a list of people who would be willing to act as a sponsor that we could link to within the overall Labs process.

From Arun:

Let us request Vipin to join one of the TSC meetings and list down each of the concerns. I remember, this topic due for discussion along with struggles that a project faced to move from incubation to active state. My personal experience of raising a new labs request has been an easy and swift.

Tracy

This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise confidential information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any other use of the e-mail by you is prohibited. Where allowed by local law, electronic communications with Accenture and its affiliates, including e-mail and instant messaging (including content), may be scanned by our systems for the purposes of information security and assessment of internal compliance with Accenture policy. Your privacy is important to us. Accenture uses your personal data only in compliance with data protection laws. For further information on how Accenture processes your personal data, please see our privacy statement at
https://www.accenture.com/us-en/privacy-policy.

www.accenture.com