Re: Congratulations to the members of the 2019-2020 TSC!

VIPIN BHARATHAN

Hi Brian/Todd/Bob/all,

It is unfortunate that the happy incidence of having gender diversity is tied  to the debate about over-representation of a single firm on the TSC. The result is more diversity in one dimension as we lose diversity in another.

A 33%  turnout is not good for both.  It has been shown that in a low turnout election, committed and well organized groups dominate.

If gender diversity was the result of a 60+% turnout, it would have appeared "more real".
A 60+% turnout would have been better to justify the domination of a single firm on the TSC.

Increasing turnout is also needed for truer democracy in general. Increasing turnout is quite difficult in this age of cynicism and apathy. How do we break through the ice? A question that needs to be answered through concrete steps for stimulating turnout in the next election. I had provided some pointers to the election officer, maybe a little too late. There are well known techniques for this. We need to adopt them.

This is in addition to "who gets to participate in the election" which should be "everyone that contributes technical artifacts to Hyperledger"; including the contributors on the wiki and the SIG participants in my view. The github query does not measure technical artifacts. I could contribute a single spelling correction in github and be included very easily; whereas someone who contributes only an extensive technical blog or article is excluded; if they are not on a Working Group list.

Enterprise Blockchain Consultant
vip@...