Re: Deprecation of Composer

Simon Stone <sstone1@...>

Hi Dan,

Thanks for confirming the change was approved.

I've made quite a few updates today to Composer to indicate the projects status. Happy to move these into the wiki:

- GitHub repository descriptions updated:
- https://github.com/hyperledger/composer
- (and all the other repos)
- GitHub files README.md, CONTRIBUTING.md, and MAINTAINERS.md updated:
- https://github.com/hyperledger/composer/blob/master/README.md
- https://github.com/hyperledger/composer/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md
- https://github.com/hyperledger/composer/blob/master/MAINTAINERS.md
- (and all the other repos)
- Composer documentation updated:
- https://hyperledger.github.io/composer/
- https://hyperledger.github.io/composer/latest/introduction/introduction.html
- Composer playground updated:
- https://composer-playground.mybluemix.net
- Composer npm modules updated:
- https://npmjs.com/package/composer-cli
- Composer Docker images updated:
- https://hub.docker.com/r/hyperledger/composer-cli/
- Composer Rocket.Chat channels updated:
- https://chat.hyperledger.org/channel/composer

Special thanks to Ry for helping me with various permissions!

Finally - should I assume that the Hyperledger marketing team will take care of the various hyperledger.org pages?

Best regards,

Simon Stone

From: <tsc@...> on behalf of Baohua Yang <yangbaohua@...>
Date: Thursday, August 29, 2019 at 11:04 AM
To: Dan Middleton <dan.middleton@...>
Cc: Simon Stone <sstone1@...>, "tsc@..." <tsc@...>, "composer@..." <composer@...>, "dan@..." <dan@...>, Caroline Fletcher <caroline.fletcher@...>

Somehow, i feel the term deprecation is not that appropriate for a mature-enough project like Composer.

It might be more reasonable to rename it as Maintenance, as there are still supports to fix those important issues.

Proposed --> Incubation --> Active --> Maintenance --> End of Life

Thoughts?

Thanks!

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 7:16 AM Middleton, Dan <dan.middleton@...> wrote:

Hi Simon, Dan, and Caroline,

We will put this up for ratification at this week's TSC meeting.
I do think this is a healthy sign of a mature open source organization - that we are actively managing the portfolio of projects and in this case that the community itself is taking that active role.

Principal Engineer
Intel <https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/diversity/diversity-at-intel.html>

On 8/28/19, 7:44 AM, "tsc@... on behalf of Simon Stone" <tsc@... on behalf of sstone1@...> wrote:

Hello,

It's been a whole year since the IBM team contributing to Composer moved to focus on Fabric. Dan Selman, the other maintainer, has been focusing on smart legal contracts under the Accord project.

In that time, very little activity has occurred in Composer, with the exception of us publishing several bug fix releases for users we know of who are still using Composer in production (these users are all in the process of migrating their solutions to Fabric). Also in this time, no other contributors have stepped forward to take over development of the Composer project.

We have been following the output of the Project Lifecycle Task Force, and we would like to propose to the TSC that the Composer project is moved into deprecated status. As mentioned above, we are continuing to support certain users, and we are also happy to continue to merge and publish fixes from other contributors if they arise.

We understand that after we move into deprecated status, there will be a period of 6 months before Composer is moved into EOL. We have no problems with this, but nearer the time we may want to discuss options around continuing to support certain users.

Please let me know if I misunderstood anything, or if you need us to do anything else on top of this note.

Many thanks,
Simon StoneUnless stated otherwise above:

Best wishes!

Baohua Yang