Re: TSC elections: electorate should include SIGs and some other suggestions.

Brian Behlendorf

SIGs aren't "represented on the TSC", but nor are Working Groups or any particular projects.  This isn't a House of Representatives nor a Senate.  TSC members are elected by voters based on whatever criteria a voter may choose, but are not there to represent one project or another - they are there as individuals, and to do right by the full Hyperledger community.

Voter eligibility is based on connection to technical contributions anywhere across Hyperledger, as the charter says, "Anyone in the technical community that contributes code, documentation or other technical artifacts to the HLP codebase".  SIG participants who also contribute code or participate actively on Working Groups are already included.  If you have been technically active on a SIG but not in the above ways, you can petition to be added.

We use the following methods to collect the email addresses for valid voters:

1) those who have contributed in the last year to a github or gerrit repository (including hyperledger-labs), and we have a good email address to correlate to your gerrit or github account.  We don't always get a clean email address from GH so we are manually maintaining that list and doing our best to connect to other addresses we know of for you.

2) those who were named by Working Group chairs (deadline was last week) who have substantially participated in these working groups.

If you fall into these two buckets, then this past TUESDAY you should have received an invitation to join a groups.io (lists.hyperledger.org) mailing list set up for announcements and links related to the Election.  On Tuesday, ~500 emails went out, and right now ~150 people have confirmed the invitation and are on the list.  We received quite a few bounces, which suggests we have bad email addresses - so please search your inboxes, and spam folders, and either

1) Confirm your invitation to that list, OR

2) Ask us to resend the invitation if you know you should have qualified as above, OR

3) You have made other technical contributions elsewhere, such as on the wiki, or jira artifacts, etc.  You can fill out this form to petition to be added to the pool of voters.  Hyperledger staff will determine whether your response to the form points to valid technical contributions and can thus be added to the list.

For future elections we can consider other algorithmic methods for collecting emails and determining eligibility, beyond github/gerrit commits.

See: https://wiki.hyperledger.org/display/HYP/TSC+Election+2019 for more info, including how to nominate yourself for the election.

Members of that contributor-announcements list will see updates about the process soon, so please make sure you confirm membership to that list.

Hope this helps,

Brian

On 8/15/19 8:32 AM, Arnaud Le Hors wrote:
Thanks for this interesting info but to be clear, I for one never said that SIGs aren't doing any technical work. My only point is that SIGs don't report to the TSC.
And until this changes, I think it'd be odd to have them on the TSC.

I see this as a simple governance issue. The TSC should be formed of people elected among those that are governed by the TSC.

IMO, the argument that SIGs are doing technical work is an argument to bring up in support of moving SIGs under the governance of the TSC (which would then naturally make them eligible for the TSC), not merely to be part of the TSC election.

From:        "hmontgomery@..." <hmontgomery@...>
To:        Arnaud Le Hors <lehors@...>, Vipin Bharathan <vipinsun@...>
Cc:        "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Date:        08/15/2019 05:17 PM
Subject:        [EXTERNAL] Re: [Hyperledger TSC] TSC elections: electorate should include SIGs and some other suggestions.
Sent by:        tsc@...

Hi Arnaud,

This is a little bit orthogonal to what you and Vipin are discussing, but it’s still relevant, so I’ll mention it here.

I think a lot of people are, in fact, using SIGs for relatively technical purposes.  Having or starting a SIG is much better right now than a working group:  you get all of the support from the LF that you would for a WG (meeting times, mailing list, etc.), you aren’t mandated to submit time-consuming work products to the TSC (that, let’s be honest, very few people read), and the approval process is far simpler and doesn’t require TSC approval (which could take quite some time and be a huge headache).  If you were looking to start a group—even a very technical one--why on earth would you choose a WG over a SIG?

As an example, I’ve been thinking about putting together a group related to academic involvement in Hyperledger.  The goal would be to help get academics to add their work to Hyperledger (in code) and for maintainers/developers to give research problems to academics.  I’ve written up a (very rough) draft of a SIG proposal for this.  Despite the technicality involved, I chose to write a SIG draft proposal instead of a working group proposal for the very reasons I mentioned above.  While I can’t say for certain, I suspect that some of the SIGs that are popular today made the same calculation.

I mostly think this is relevant to the WG reform process (thanks Mic for heading this up), and I’m not a common participant in current SIGs.  But I think it is a little much to say that SIGs aren’t doing any technical work.  I don’t’ know how to quantify “technical contributions” from SIG members, though—could a frequent SIG participant comment more on this?

I hope this makes sense.  I guess I’m less trying to make a point about the TSC elections than about working group reform.