Re: Montreal Hackfest / TSC Agenda / Community Health / SIGs


David Boswell
 

Chris,

Thanks for bringing up the Ambassador program.  I think activating Ambassadors to do tasks that support community health is an important piece of what we need to do going forward.

If the TSC has guidance or suggestions for how Ambassadors can help out, let's document that and then we can make that information available to Ambassadors and encourage them to take those actions.  For instance, if asking them to be moderators on chat would be helpful, let's write that up.

We just recently started a section on the Ambassador wiki where we're building out a playbook -- what are the specific actions we encourage Ambassadors to do.  Feel free to take a look through that and either update the wiki directly or send me notes and suggestions and I can add to it.


Thanks,
David

On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 1:12 PM, Christopher Ferris <chris.ferris@...> wrote:
It occurred to me that we do have a formal Hyperledger Ambassadors program.

Their responsibilities include (taken from the wiki):
  • Answer questions on Mail-lists, Rocketchat, Twitter, Quora, Stack Overflow, at events, etc
  • Help onboard new contributors

  • How do we help the ambassadors to help us in this regard?

    I noticed that some avatars on RC have 'moderator' tags. Can we add a tag for 'ambassador'?
    Or, maybe for this we could give ambassadors moderator tags for the main channels we want them
    to help out with?

    How might we better identify who our ambassadors are, making them more visible?

    We also talked about gamifying things. Maybe we could track people's progress on SO?
    Have some form of recognition of people who have done the most for the community?

    Chris



    On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 3:04 PM David Boswell <dboswell@...> wrote:
    To follow up about the community health discussions held during the Member Summit and Hackfest, Tracy, Ry and I put a report together that summarizes the main take-aways and recommended next steps.  That is at:


    For everyone who was at the event, please review, edit and update the doc to fill in or fix details.

    For anyone who wasn't at the event, I encourage you to read through this since there is really valuable feedback and ideas about how we can improve participation and the experience of contributing.

    The report is a quick read, but I'll pull out the main items to make sure the highlights are covered in this email:

    Main take-aways
    * The number of people participating in these discussions was relatively small so we’ll need to look at how to broaden interest in this topic
    * The community is overwhelming
    * The community is intimidating
    * The community is unsure how to address many of these issues

    Recommended next steps
    * Implement a pilot of a mentoring program to test ways to improve diversity
    * Improve the developer journey experience
    * Move forward with the Community Health effort

    Since the TSC agenda for tomorrow looks full, perhaps this is a good opportunity to see how far we can take a discussion asynchronously outside of a meeting.  What do people think about this feedback and the recommended next steps?

    Thanks,
    David

    On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 10:17 AM, Middleton, Dan <dan.middleton@...> wrote:

    # Community Health

    There were several sessions on community health.

    I don’t know if anyone was able to participate in all of them? Maybe some of the LF staff?
    It would be nice to get a report out on those if someone would like to volunteer.

    From the sessions that I participated in – and some initially unrelated discussions – I did hear reinforcement of the idea that teleconferences are bad. Asynchronous communication (e.g. email) can be more inclusive when written thoughtfully.

     

    To that end, a few weeks ago, we also discussed the need for all the maintainers and WG leads to subscribe to the TSC list so there is at least one common channel of discussion.

     

    Thumbing through the minutes I don’t see that we made a concrete action item though. Did one of the community architects already infer that action item and convey that desire to the maintainers and leads?

     

     

    # SIGs

    On a loosely related topic the board discussed the opportunities around SIGs and decided to take those on directly. Where we have sector specific groups (like Healthcare) those will now be facilitated by Hyperledger Staff and approvals managed through the Governing Board. They were not originally part of the TSC charter and going forward the board will handle that oversight.

     

    When those interest groups produce useful artifacts like requirements the TSC does want to see and benefit from those.

     

    As far as technical working groups like Architecture, Performance, and Identity, there is no change in our existing procedures. If anything we will now have more time to focus on those.

     

    To tie back in with the top of this email, a Community Health Work Group had been previously suggested. As observed earlier, community health is well within the TSC’s charter. Should that concept move forward it would continue as a TSC activity.

     

    Thanks,

    Dan



    Join tsc@lists.hyperledger.org to automatically receive all group messages.