[Hyperledger Project TSC] May I disable github.com/hyperledger wikis?

Ry Jones

WRT the attached email from Arnaud, may I disable the github wikis? In particular:

https://github.com/hyperledger/hyperledger/wiki

I'm not speaking of Sawtooth Lake and Iroha projects in general.
Ry

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 9:10 AM, Arnaud Le Hors via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...> wrote:
While I'm all for experimenting with an alternative to Slack which I like using but is pretty terrible without history, I think we need to try and time-box these experiments a bit better. Failing to do so means we end up with the old systems and the new ones running in parallel for long periods of time which makes things very confusing.

For instance, the current situation with github wiki and wiki hyperledger means there is a lot of duplicated info and it's not clear to the reader which is the most up-to-date. I think we need to put an end to this and retire github wiki.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Open Web Technologies - IBM Cloud

Jeremy Sevareid <jeremysevareid@...>

Ry - Please do not yet disable https://github.com/hyperledger/hyperledger/wiki. Not everything has been migrated.

Arnaud  - I agree it’s confusing. But, that’s because edit on the old wiki was turned off, so no one can add disclaimers about what’s been migrated and what’s not yet. Also, 100% agree on time-boxing and on issue with lack of slack history.

Georg Link’s migrated some pages and provided a few regexs to ease some conversion steps. That was quite helpful.

Earlier, I shared a inventory spreadsheet of pages to be migrated. I have migrated some myself, but I am certain not all are done. I’ll double-check on what’s left and revert.

-Jeremy

[...]

I've opened wiki editing to anyone for now to help smooth this transition.

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 9:10 AM, Arnaud Le Hors via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@lists.hyperledger.org> wrote:

While I'm all for experimenting with an alternative to Slack which I like using but is pretty terrible without history, I think we need to try and time-box these experiments a bit better. Failing to do so means we end up with the old systems and the new ones running in parallel for long periods of time which makes things very confusing.

For instance, the current situation with github wiki and wiki hyperledger means there is a lot of duplicated info and it's not clear to the reader which is the most up-to-date. I think we need to put an end to this and retire github wiki.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Open Web Technologies - IBM Cloud

Arnaud Le Hors

Ah, thank you.
Do you know if there is any support for some form of redirect? A quick web search didn't turn anything up.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Open Web Technologies - IBM Cloud

https://github.com/hyperledger/fabric-chaintool/wiki

[...]

I can't find anything in the documentation about redirects. I think the best you could do would be to manually insert a link to the new page.

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 4:52 PM, Arnaud Le Hors <lehors@...> wrote:
[...]

Christopher Ferris <chris.ferris@...>

Can we leave a breadcrumb that sends people to wiki.hyperledger.org?

Chris

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 4:13 PM, Jeremy Sevareid via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...> wrote:

[...]

Yes. This is what I'm working on.

I already put a big warning at the top of the page and started going through the list of pages and replacing their content with a link to the new page, as in:
https://github.com/hyperledger/hyperledger/wiki/PublicMeetingCalendar

Once I'm done with the lower pages I'll reduce the content of the top page to just a link as well and we can then make the wiki read-only for good.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Open Web Technologies - IBM Cloud

[...]

I’ve migrated the 55 wiki pages that remained under requirements, use cases and identity. The old wiki pages now point to the new pages. I’m not aware any others that need to be migrated.

-Jeremy