From:        Arnaud Le Hors via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...>
To:        Dave Neary <dneary@...>
Cc:        technical-discuss@..., tsc@...
Date:        03/14/2016 09:46 AM
Subject:        Re: [Hyperledger Project TSC] Survey on Code of Conduct Preferences
Sent by:        hyperledger-tsc-bounces@...

Thanks Dave for a good reminder of the goal of this effort. I assume everybody joined the project to work on blockchain rather than CoCs so let's not spend more time than necessary on this. :-)

To that end, I would appreciate if those who have voted strongly against either proposal explain what makes the proposal unacceptable to them and what it would take to change that. We'v got to be able to tweak one or the other to have something we can all live with. That's all we need.

Regards.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Open Web Technologies - IBM Cloud

From:
Dave Neary via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...>
To:
Michael Dolan <mdolan@...>, tsc@..., technical-discuss@...
Date:
03/13/2016 01:15 PM
Re: [Hyperledger Project TSC] Survey on Code of Conduct Preferences
Sent by:
hyperledger-tsc-bounces@...

Hi,

For what it's worth, my experience is that having a code of conduct at
all is a significant positive step. Communities can spend a lot of time
debating the relative benefits of approaches, terms, etc. The only vital
thing, in my opinion, is a clear path to remediation when there is a
complaint.

In the end, this will be a no-op for over 90% of the community. The
small (hopefully) number of community members of our community who
encounter poor behaviour will have recourse, and the reassurance that
good behaviour is something that the comunity values. For these people,
the code of conduct materially improves their community experience.

The only people who will be potentially negatively impacted by the code
of conduct will be those who behave poorly. And frankly, I am OK with that.

So I encourage the swift adoption of either, and I don't really mind which.

Thanks,
Dave.

mailto:mdolan@...>

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/7FYFBGB

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZjSBGk8GAUVrupECzidQE9rhZwJLgaY0TRQLAAYcmzI/edit>
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uwT2x4yTmPn3xrRuqXZ4ZTcuIiZvF3N8VOnqFIO4Q-0/edit>

mailto:mdolan@...>

mailto:mdolan@...>
>>> ---

Dave Neary - NFV/SDN Community Strategy
Open Source and Standards, Red Hat -
http://community.redhat.com
Ph: +1-978-399-2182 / Cell: +1-978-799-3338

From:        Dave Neary via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...>
To:        Michael Dolan <mdolan@...>, tsc@..., technical-discuss@...
Date:        03/13/2016 01:15 PM

mailto:mdolan@...>

mailto:mdolan@...>

mailto:mdolan@...>

Dave Neary <dneary@...>

Michael Dolan <mdolan@...>

On Mar 10, 2016, at 11:24 AM, Michael Dolan <mdolan@...> wrote:

[...]

Danno Ferrin

I like the W3C code of conduct because it has a clause explicitly discussing conflict of interest.  If we do wind up going with another one as a base I think the COI clause in some form should be added.

Of the two drafts currently being considered, I’m more comfortable with the one based on CloudFoundry.

Adding to the comments made by Zhipeng, I like section 3 of the TODO CoC draft in that it emphasises the positive behaviours the community should support.

Kind regards,

Ian.

On 11 Mar 2016, at 06:17, Zhipeng Huang via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...> wrote:

Hi Arnaud,

I don;t have a strong preference, I like the todo one since it is succinct and hosted on github, HLP could just fork it, make some adjustments (borrow certain session from CF and w3c ones), and make changes when the tsc demands it :)

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 1:00 PM, Arnaud Le Hors <lehors@...> wrote:
Hi,

You're right, we could use that. I happen to be involved with the TODO group so I'm familiar with this. As I said on the call there are many other CoCs out there we could leverage. That's one of them.

Is there anything that you specifically like in this one over the other two we are currently considering?
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Open Web Technologies - IBM Cloud

From:        Zhipeng Huang <zhipengh512@...>
To:        Arnaud Le Hors/Cupertino/IBM@IBMUS
Cc:        Allen <allenpmd@...>, tsc@...
Date:        03/10/2016 04:52 PM

the open CoC draft by TODO group is also worth a look: https://github.com/todogroup/opencodeofconduct/blob/gh-pages/codeofconduct_redo.mdIt is basically a template and HLP could make its own version

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 1:10 AM, Arnaud Le Hors via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...> wrote:
Hi Allen,
The CF-based one also has a clause on "stepping down considerably" which isn't in the W3C one.

But as I said on the call, we're free to take from each one whatever we feel is worth having. The question really is: which one do we start from. Once that is decided we can expand as we see fit.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Open Web Technologies - IBM Cloud

From:
Allen via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...>
To:
tsc@...
Date:
03/10/2016 08:36 AM
Re: [Hyperledger Project TSC] Survey on Code of Conduct Preferences
Sent by:
hyperledger-tsc-bounces@...

The major thing I see missing from the WC3-based CoC is to keep discussions/material on-topic._______________________________________________

Zhipeng (Howard) Huang

Standard Engineer
IT Standard & Patent/IT Prooduct Line
Huawei Technologies Co,. Ltd
Email: huangzhipeng@...
Office: Huawei Industrial Base, Longgang, Shenzhen

(Previous)
Research Assistant
Mobile Ad-Hoc Network Lab, Calit2
University of California, Irvine
Email: zhipengh@...
Office: Calit2 Building Room 2402

OpenStack, OPNFV, OpenDaylight, OpenCompute Aficionado

--

Ian Carman <ijcarman@...>

From:        Zhipeng Huang <zhipengh512@...>
To:        Arnaud Le Hors/Cupertino/IBM@IBMUS
Cc:        Allen <allenpmd@...>, tsc@...
Date:        03/10/2016 04:52 PM

the open CoC draft by TODO group is also worth a look: https://github.com/todogroup/opencodeofconduct/blob/gh-pages/codeofconduct_redo.mdIt is basically a template and HLP could make its own version

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 1:10 AM, Arnaud Le Hors via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...> wrote:
Hi Allen,
The CF-based one also has a clause on "stepping down considerably" which isn't in the W3C one.

But as I said on the call, we're free to take from each one whatever we feel is worth having. The question really is: which one do we start from. Once that is decided we can expand as we see fit.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Open Web Technologies - IBM Cloud

From:
Allen via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...>
To:
tsc@...
Date:
03/10/2016 08:36 AM
[...]

Christopher B Ferris <chrisfer@...>

We did look at this. Arnaud has actually been engaged with the TODO group and has the history. That document was abandoned because there was quite a bit of disagreement within the community.

IBM Distinguished Engineer, CTO Open Technology

IBM Cloud, Open Technologies

blog: https://developer.ibm.com/opentech/author/chrisfer/

phone: +1 508 667 0402

-----hyperledger-tsc-bounces@... wrote: -----To: Arnaud Le Hors/Cupertino/IBM@IBMUS
From: Zhipeng Huang via hyperledger-tsc
Sent by: hyperledger-tsc-bounces@...
Date: 03/10/2016 07:53PM
Cc: tsc@...

the open CoC draft by TODO group is also worth a look: https://github.com/todogroup/opencodeofconduct/blob/gh-pages/codeofconduct_redo.md It is basically a template and HLP could make its own version

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 1:10 AM, Arnaud Le Hors via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...> wrote:
Hi Allen,
The CF-based one also has a clause on
"stepping down considerably" which isn't in the W3C one.

But as I said on the call, we're free
to take from each one whatever we feel is worth having. The question really
is: which one do we start from. Once that is decided we can expand as we
see fit.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Open Web Technologies
- IBM Cloud

From:
 Allen via hyperledger-tsc
<hyperledger-tsc@...>
To:
 tsc@...
Date:
 03/10/2016 08:36 AM
   Re: [Hyperledger
Project TSC] Survey on Code of Conduct Preferences
Sent by:
   hyperledger-tsc-bounces@...

The major thing I see missing from the WC3-based CoC is
to keep discussions/material on-topic._______________________________________________

Zhipeng (Howard) Huang
Standard EngineerIT Standard & Patent/IT Prooduct LineHuawei Technologies Co,. LtdEmail: huangzhipeng@...: Huawei Industrial Base, Longgang, Shenzhen
(Previous)
Research AssistantMobile Ad-Hoc Network Lab, Calit2University of California, IrvineEmail: zhipengh@...: Calit2 Building Room 2402
OpenStack, OPNFV, OpenDaylight, OpenCompute Aficionado

Zhipeng Huang

From:        Zhipeng Huang <zhipengh512@...>
To:        Arnaud Le Hors/Cupertino/IBM@IBMUS
Cc:        Allen <allenpmd@...>, tsc@...
Date:        03/10/2016 04:52 PM

the open CoC draft by TODO group is also worth a look: https://github.com/todogroup/opencodeofconduct/blob/gh-pages/codeofconduct_redo.mdIt is basically a template and HLP could make its own version

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 1:10 AM, Arnaud Le Hors via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...> wrote:
Hi Allen,
The CF-based one also has a clause on "stepping down considerably" which isn't in the W3C one.

But as I said on the call, we're free to take from each one whatever we feel is worth having. The question really is: which one do we start from. Once that is decided we can expand as we see fit.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Open Web Technologies - IBM Cloud

From:
Allen via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...>
To:
tsc@...
Date:
03/10/2016 08:36 AM

From:        Zhipeng Huang <zhipengh512@...>
To:        Arnaud Le Hors/Cupertino/IBM@IBMUS
Cc:        Allen <allenpmd@...>, tsc@...
Date:        03/10/2016 04:52 PM

the open CoC draft by TODO group is also worth a look: https://github.com/todogroup/opencodeofconduct/blob/gh-pages/codeofconduct_redo.mdIt is basically a template and HLP could make its own version

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 1:10 AM, Arnaud Le Hors via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...> wrote:
Hi Allen,
The CF-based one also has a clause on "stepping down considerably" which isn't in the W3C one.

But as I said on the call, we're free to take from each one whatever we feel is worth having. The question really is: which one do we start from. Once that is decided we can expand as we see fit.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Open Web Technologies - IBM Cloud

From:
Allen via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...>
To:
tsc@...