Date

[Hyperledger Project TSC] proposed draft f2f technical agenda

Christopher B Ferris <chrisfer@...>

I also posted this deck for discussion to slack TSC channel for posterity.

IBM Distinguished Engineer, CTO Open Technology

IBM Cloud, Open Technologies

blog: https://developer.ibm.com/opentech/author/chrisfer/

phone: +1 508 667 0402

[Hyperledger Project TSC] Project Proposal Template draft 0.3

Vipin Bharathan

Hello All,

I have made changes discussed in the last meeting.

Please look at the language about the project champion(s) & How to, which were revised.

[Hyperledger Project TSC] Agenda for March 17th TSC Meeting

Todd Benzies <tbenzies@...>

--
Todd Benzies
Senior Program Manager

Re: [Hyperledger Project TSC] [technical-discuss] Survey on Code of Conduct Preferences

Allen

my first comment may still apply: The major thing I see missing from the WC3-based CoC is to keep discussions/material on-topic.

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 1:15 PM, Arnaud Le Hors via hyperledger-technical-discuss <hyperledger-technical-discuss@...> wrote:

I didn't see any response to my email. Additional votes were cast and there is now a clearer preference for the W3C-based draft. I therefore suggest the TSC endorses the W3C-based draft as our starting point and invite suggestions on how to improve on it.

In particular, one person voted "Strongly disagree with the W3C option" and I'd like to hear why. Otherwise, is there anything anyone would like to see changed or added, possibly from the CF-based one?

Regards.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Open Web Technologies - IBM Cloud

From:        Arnaud Le Hors via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...>
To:        Dave Neary <dneary@...>
Cc:        technical-discuss@..., tsc@...
Date:        03/14/2016 09:46 AM

Subject:        Re: [Hyperledger Project TSC] Survey on Code of Conduct Preferences
Sent by:        hyperledger-tsc-bounces@...

Thanks Dave for a good reminder of the goal of this effort. I assume everybody joined the project to work on blockchain rather than CoCs so let's not spend more time than necessary on this. :-)

To that end, I would appreciate if those who have voted strongly against either proposal explain what makes the proposal unacceptable to them and what it would take to change that. We'v got to be able to tweak one or the other to have something we can all live with. That's all we need.

Regards.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Open Web Technologies - IBM Cloud

From:
Dave Neary via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...>
To:
Michael Dolan <mdolan@...>, tsc@..., technical-discuss@...
Date:
03/13/2016 01:15 PM
Re: [Hyperledger Project TSC] Survey on Code of Conduct Preferences
Sent by:
hyperledger-tsc-bounces@...

Hi,

For what it's worth, my experience is that having a code of conduct at
all is a significant positive step. Communities can spend a lot of time
debating the relative benefits of approaches, terms, etc. The only vital
thing, in my opinion, is a clear path to remediation when there is a
complaint.

In the end, this will be a no-op for over 90% of the community. The
small (hopefully) number of community members of our community who
encounter poor behaviour will have recourse, and the reassurance that
good behaviour is something that the comunity values. For these people,
the code of conduct materially improves their community experience.

The only people who will be potentially negatively impacted by the code
of conduct will be those who behave poorly. And frankly, I am OK with that.

So I encourage the swift adoption of either, and I don't really mind which.

Thanks,
Dave.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-BHZY7NXW/

mailto:mdolan@...>

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/7FYFBGB

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZjSBGk8GAUVrupECzidQE9rhZwJLgaY0TRQLAAYcmzI/edit>
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uwT2x4yTmPn3xrRuqXZ4ZTcuIiZvF3N8VOnqFIO4Q-0/edit>

mailto:mdolan@...>

mailto:mdolan@...>
>>> ---

Dave Neary - NFV/SDN Community Strategy
Open Source and Standards, Red Hat -
http://community.redhat.com
Ph: +1-978-399-2182 / Cell: +1-978-799-3338

Re: [Hyperledger Project TSC] Survey on Code of Conduct Preferences

Arnaud Le Hors

From:        Arnaud Le Hors via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...>
To:        Dave Neary <dneary@...>
Cc:        technical-discuss@..., tsc@...
Date:        03/14/2016 09:46 AM

From:
Dave Neary via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...>
To:
Michael Dolan <mdolan@...>, tsc@..., technical-discuss@...
Date:

mailto:mdolan@...>

mailto:mdolan@...>

mailto:mdolan@...>
>>> ---

Dave Neary - NFV/SDN Community Strategy
Open Source and Standards, Red Hat -
http://community.redhat.com
Ph: +1-978-399-2182 / Cell: +1-978-799-3338

[Hyperledger Project TSC] REMINDER - Hyperledger Project Technical F2F [REGISTER NOW]

Todd Benzies <tbenzies@...>

Hyperledger Project Technical Community,

If you have not already registered for the Technical F2F next week in Brooklyn, NY, Please register as soon as possible:  https://www.regonline.com/hyperledgertechf2f.

Regards,

Todd

On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 9:20 AM, Todd Benzies <tbenzies@...> wrote:
Hyperledger Project Technical Community,

Registration is now open for the Hyperledger Project Technical F2F meeting during the week of 3/21 at the JP Morgan office in Brooklyn, NY.

Please register as soon as possible:  https://www.regonline.com/hyperledgertechf2f

Note:  registration is capped at 100 attendees, please only register if you are certain that you will attend.

Location:
4 Chase Metrotech Center
BrooklynNew York 11245
United States

Schedule:
Tuesday (3/22), 9:00am ET - 5:00pm ET
Wednesday (3/23), 9:00am ET - 5:00pm ET
Thursday (3/24), 9:00am ET - 5:00pm ET
Friday (3/25), 9:00am ET - 1:00pm ET

Hotel Options:
Aloft New York Brooklyn
216 Duffield St, Brooklyn, NY 11201
(718) 256-3833

New York Marriott at Brooklyn Bridge
333 Adams St, Brooklyn, NY 11201
(718) 246-7000

Hotel Indigo Brooklyn
229 Duffield St, Brooklyn, NY 11201
(718) 254-7800

Agenda:
The TSC will be firming up the F2F agenda in the TSC meeting this Thursday.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Regards,

Todd

--
Todd Benzies
Senior Program Manager

--
Todd Benzies
Senior Program Manager

From:        Dave Neary via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...>
To:        Michael Dolan <mdolan@...>, tsc@..., technical-discuss@...
Date:        03/13/2016 01:15 PM

mailto:mdolan@...>

mailto:mdolan@...>

mailto:mdolan@...>
>>> ---

Dave Neary - NFV/SDN Community Strategy
Open Source and Standards, Red Hat -
http://community.redhat.com
Ph: +1-978-399-2182 / Cell: +1-978-799-3338

Re: [Hyperledger Project TSC] [technical-discuss] Survey on Code of Conduct Preferences

James Hazard <james.g.hazard@...>

In case it is thought to useful to work iteratively on a Code of Conduct, this link has the W3 doc as a text object.  The object is flat, but can of course be deepened.

On Mar 10, 2016, at 11:24 AM, Michael Dolan <mdolan@...> wrote:

[...]

@commonaccord

Re: [Hyperledger Project TSC] Survey on Code of Conduct Preferences

Dave Neary <dneary@...>

Michael Dolan <mdolan@...>

[...]

Danno Ferrin

I like the W3C code of conduct because it has a clause explicitly discussing conflict of interest.  If we do wind up going with another one as a base I think the COI clause in some form should be added.

Of the two drafts currently being considered, I’m more comfortable with the one based on CloudFoundry.

Adding to the comments made by Zhipeng, I like section 3 of the TODO CoC draft in that it emphasises the positive behaviours the community should support.

Kind regards,

Ian.

On 11 Mar 2016, at 06:17, Zhipeng Huang via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...> wrote:

Hi Arnaud,

I don;t have a strong preference, I like the todo one since it is succinct and hosted on github, HLP could just fork it, make some adjustments (borrow certain session from CF and w3c ones), and make changes when the tsc demands it :)

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 1:00 PM, Arnaud Le Hors <lehors@...> wrote:
Hi,

You're right, we could use that. I happen to be involved with the TODO group so I'm familiar with this. As I said on the call there are many other CoCs out there we could leverage. That's one of them.

Is there anything that you specifically like in this one over the other two we are currently considering?
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Open Web Technologies - IBM Cloud

From:        Zhipeng Huang <zhipengh512@...>
To:        Arnaud Le Hors/Cupertino/IBM@IBMUS
Cc:        Allen <allenpmd@...>, tsc@...
Date:        03/10/2016 04:52 PM

the open CoC draft by TODO group is also worth a look: https://github.com/todogroup/opencodeofconduct/blob/gh-pages/codeofconduct_redo.mdIt is basically a template and HLP could make its own version

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 1:10 AM, Arnaud Le Hors via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...> wrote:
Hi Allen,
The CF-based one also has a clause on "stepping down considerably" which isn't in the W3C one.

But as I said on the call, we're free to take from each one whatever we feel is worth having. The question really is: which one do we start from. Once that is decided we can expand as we see fit.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Open Web Technologies - IBM Cloud

From:
Allen via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...>
To:
tsc@...
Date:
03/10/2016 08:36 AM
Re: [Hyperledger Project TSC] Survey on Code of Conduct Preferences
Sent by:
hyperledger-tsc-bounces@...

The major thing I see missing from the WC3-based CoC is to keep discussions/material on-topic._______________________________________________

Zhipeng (Howard) Huang

Standard Engineer
IT Standard & Patent/IT Prooduct Line
Huawei Technologies Co,. Ltd
Email: huangzhipeng@...
Office: Huawei Industrial Base, Longgang, Shenzhen

(Previous)
Research Assistant
Mobile Ad-Hoc Network Lab, Calit2
University of California, Irvine
Email: zhipengh@...
Office: Calit2 Building Room 2402

OpenStack, OPNFV, OpenDaylight, OpenCompute Aficionado

--
Zhipeng (Howard) Huang

Standard Engineer
IT Standard & Patent/IT Prooduct Line
Huawei Technologies Co,. Ltd
Office: Huawei Industrial Base, Longgang, Shenzhen

(Previous)
Research Assistant
Mobile Ad-Hoc Network Lab, Calit2
University of California, Irvine
Email: zhipengh@...
Office: Calit2 Building Room 2402

OpenStack, OPNFV, OpenDaylight, OpenCompute Aficionado

[Hyperledger Project TSC] Minutes / March 10, 2016

Todd Benzies <tbenzies@...>

Hyperledger Project

Technical Steering Committee (TSC) Meeting

March 10, 2016 (7:00am - 8:30am PT)

via GoToMeeting

TSC Members

Emmanuel Viale

Accenture

Stan Liberman

CME Group

Yes

Tamas Blummer

DAH

Yes

Stefan Teis

Deutsche Boerse Group

Yes

Pardha Vishnumolakala

DTCC

Yes

Hart Montgomery

Fujitsu

Yes

Satoshi Oshima

Hitachi

Chris Ferris

IBM

Yes

Mic Bowman

Intel

Yes

David Voell

J.P. Morgan

Yes

Richard G. Brown

R3

Yes

Resources:

Agenda

  • Technical F2F (3/22 - 3/25), Brooklyn, NY (Todd Benzies)

  • Requirements Committee update (Patrick Holmes)

  • White Paper (Chris Ferris)

  • Progress on DAH/IBM experiment (Chris Ferris)

  • Code of Conduct (Arnaud Le Hors)

  • Project Proposal Template (Vipin Bharathan)

  • Project Lifecycle (Chris Ferris & Arnaud Le Hors)

Technical F2F

  • (3/22 - 3/25), Brooklyn, NY

  • Reminder to register https://www.regonline.com/hyperledgertechf2f

  • 37 registered (capacity: 100)

  • Agenda planning

    • CF:  Building out set of stories that we need to be driving.  Hope that Tamas and team will be doing the same.  Session for requirements and use cases.  Session for project lifecycle and proposals.  Session for code of conduct.

    • Q:  Can anyone bring use cases?

      • Yes.  This will come through the WG run by Patrick to build consensus… and then this would go to TSC.

    • Q:  Use cases for TSC in general, or for the Hackathon?

      • In general -- requirements and use cases for what Hyperledger is doing in general.

Requirements Committee

  • Current volunteers (Tamas, Benedickt, Igor, Primrose, Judy, Stefan, Emmanuel, Nikilesh)

  • Email patrick.holmes@... if you want to participate

  • Started collecting use cases, will create a repository for these

  • Need to determine the scope of use cases (can be part of the Technical F2F)

White Paper

DAH/IBM

  • IBM put code into incubator repo, DAH to push code soon.

  • https://github.com/hyperledger-incubator

  • CF:  from IBM perspective, working on some of the aspects of the proposal.

  • Binh:  Look at OBC repo at this point, number of issues created to work toward that and prepare for F2F.  Specifically, looking at ability to integrate an interpreter.  Picked up interpreter from Bitcoin.  Tried to call that from chain code.  Prototype ability to pass in a Bitcoin transaction through OBC system, to the interpreter, to be able to turn around and update the transaction log.  Hope to show at F2F.

  • Shaul:  done a lot of work on binding to bitcoin interpreter.  Feel free to ping DAH on any help needed.

  • Binh:  Couldn’t find DAH interpreter, so went with Bitcoin interpreter.  Though, this would be an easy switch if needed.  Shaul can point to this.

Code of Conduct

  • Loose consensus:  both are good, slight preference for W3C version.

  • Q:  for those that have W3C preference, does that also include the glossary?

    • Yes, don’t think you can separate the two.

  • ACTION:  Technical Community to provide feedback via survey

Project Proposal Template

  • Project Proposal Template (draft 0.2)

  • Vipin:  Reworked document from previous suggestions suggestions (i.e. licensing and trademark has been added).  Tried to make it function more as a template, with the sections in bold and also removed any strong language about using this particular format to handle the solutions.  If the solution does not require this certain section to be handled, left it open in that sense.  Goes through list of various possible sections you should address in solution.

  • Q:  what is definition of a team champion?

    • The person who is driving project proposal (will update to make plural so that multiple people can drive the proposal for continuity, in case someone were to leave the project)

    • Comment:  need to know who the initial maintainers are, don’t necessarily need “project champion”

  • Q:  Can it include a bullet about how it will be used?

    • Vipin:  “how to” was meant to address that.  But, could include what you just said as well.

  • Note:  Once approved, does not preclude changes down road.

  • CF:  this is getting very close.  Please review doc and add any comments or suggestions.  Try to close on this next week.

Project Lifecycle Proposal

  • Project Lifecycle Proposal (draft 0.1)

  • Q:  How much do we talk about transition between difference phases?

    • Proposal to incubation is detailed, but not so detailed beyond that.

  • Please take a close look and provide comments and feedback

--
Todd Benzies
Senior Program Manager

Re: [Hyperledger Project TSC] Survey on Code of Conduct Preferences

Ian Carman <ijcarman@...>

From:        Zhipeng Huang <zhipengh512@...>
To:        Arnaud Le Hors/Cupertino/IBM@IBMUS
Cc:        Allen <allenpmd@...>, tsc@...
Date:        03/10/2016 04:52 PM

the open CoC draft by TODO group is also worth a look: https://github.com/todogroup/opencodeofconduct/blob/gh-pages/codeofconduct_redo.mdIt is basically a template and HLP could make its own version

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 1:10 AM, Arnaud Le Hors via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...> wrote:
Hi Allen,
The CF-based one also has a clause on "stepping down considerably" which isn't in the W3C one.

But as I said on the call, we're free to take from each one whatever we feel is worth having. The question really is: which one do we start from. Once that is decided we can expand as we see fit.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Open Web Technologies - IBM Cloud

From:
Allen via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...>
To:
tsc@...
Date:
03/10/2016 08:36 AM
[...]

We did look at this. Arnaud has actually been engaged with the TODO group and has the history. That document was abandoned because there was quite a bit of disagreement within the community.

-----hyperledger-tsc-bounces@... wrote: -----To: Arnaud Le Hors/Cupertino/IBM@IBMUS
From: Zhipeng Huang via hyperledger-tsc
Sent by: hyperledger-tsc-bounces@...
Date: 03/10/2016 07:53PM
Cc: tsc@...

the open CoC draft by TODO group is also worth a look: https://github.com/todogroup/opencodeofconduct/blob/gh-pages/codeofconduct_redo.md It is basically a template and HLP could make its own version

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 1:10 AM, Arnaud Le Hors via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...> wrote:
Hi Allen,
The CF-based one also has a clause on
"stepping down considerably" which isn't in the W3C one.

But as I said on the call, we're free
to take from each one whatever we feel is worth having. The question really
is: which one do we start from. Once that is decided we can expand as we
see fit.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Open Web Technologies
- IBM Cloud

From:
 Allen via hyperledger-tsc
<hyperledger-tsc@...>
To:
 tsc@...
Date:
 03/10/2016 08:36 AM
   Re: [Hyperledger
Project TSC] Survey on Code of Conduct Preferences
Sent by:
   hyperledger-tsc-bounces@...

The major thing I see missing from the WC3-based CoC is
to keep discussions/material on-topic._______________________________________________

Zhipeng (Howard) Huang
Standard EngineerIT Standard & Patent/IT Prooduct LineHuawei Technologies Co,. LtdEmail: huangzhipeng@...: Huawei Industrial Base, Longgang, Shenzhen
(Previous)
Research AssistantMobile Ad-Hoc Network Lab, Calit2University of California, IrvineEmail: zhipengh@...: Calit2 Building Room 2402
OpenStack, OPNFV, OpenDaylight, OpenCompute Aficionado

Re: [Hyperledger Project TSC] Survey on Code of Conduct Preferences

Zhipeng Huang

From:        Zhipeng Huang <zhipengh512@...>
To:        Arnaud Le Hors/Cupertino/IBM@IBMUS
Cc:        Allen <allenpmd@...>, tsc@...
Date:        03/10/2016 04:52 PM

the open CoC draft by TODO group is also worth a look: https://github.com/todogroup/opencodeofconduct/blob/gh-pages/codeofconduct_redo.mdIt is basically a template and HLP could make its own version

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 1:10 AM, Arnaud Le Hors via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...> wrote:
Hi Allen,
The CF-based one also has a clause on "stepping down considerably" which isn't in the W3C one.

But as I said on the call, we're free to take from each one whatever we feel is worth having. The question really is: which one do we start from. Once that is decided we can expand as we see fit.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Open Web Technologies - IBM Cloud

From:
Allen via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...>
To:
tsc@...
Date:
03/10/2016 08:36 AM

From:        Zhipeng Huang <zhipengh512@...>
To:        Arnaud Le Hors/Cupertino/IBM@IBMUS
Cc:        Allen <allenpmd@...>, tsc@...
Date:        03/10/2016 04:52 PM

the open CoC draft by TODO group is also worth a look: https://github.com/todogroup/opencodeofconduct/blob/gh-pages/codeofconduct_redo.mdIt is basically a template and HLP could make its own version

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 1:10 AM, Arnaud Le Hors via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...> wrote:
Hi Allen,
The CF-based one also has a clause on "stepping down considerably" which isn't in the W3C one.

But as I said on the call, we're free to take from each one whatever we feel is worth having. The question really is: which one do we start from. Once that is decided we can expand as we see fit.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Open Web Technologies - IBM Cloud

From:
Allen via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...>
To:
tsc@...