Date   

Re: Leaving The Linux Foundation

Dan Hyperledger
 

Tracy, 


I hope that your next project appreciates their gain even half as much as we will feel the loss. You have been seemingly everywhere at once, helping resolve deep problems for long time maintainers while personally assisting countless first time users / developers. 

I’m heartened to see that you will continue to shepherd labs work and I'm glad that we will still have you engaged albeit in a different manner.


Best,
Dan


On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 5:14 PM Tracy Kuhrt <tkuhrt@...> wrote:

I am writing to let you know that I will be leaving The Linux Foundation. I have enjoyed being a Community Architect at Hyperledger and getting to know everyone in the community. My tenure has seen me visiting 11 different countries and more cities than I can count to speak at different conferences and meetups around the world. I am proud to have had a hand in educating more than 120,000 people about both blockchain and Hyperledger. I plan to continue my role as a Hyperledger Labs Steward, and I expect that our paths will cross in the community.


My last day with The Linux Foundation is February 12, 2019. For future assistance, please reach out to the Hyperledger Community Architecture team at community-architects@... or at #community-architects.


----
Tracy Kuhrt
Community Architect, Hyperledger
The Linux Foundation
tkuhrt@...
Hyperledger Chat: @tkuhrt


Hyperledger Performance and Scalability WG Quarterly Update Due #tsc-wg-update - Thu, 02/07/2019 #tsc-wg-update #cal-reminder

tsc@lists.hyperledger.org Calendar <tsc@...>
 

Reminder:
Hyperledger Performance and Scalability WG Quarterly Update Due #tsc-wg-update

When:
Thursday, 7 February 2019

Description:
The Hyperledger Performance and Scalability WG update to the TSC was due February 4, 2019, and it will be presented to the TSC on February 7, 2019. Please review the update at TSC Working Group Updates prior to the meeting and add your questions to the update.

View Event


Hyperledger Indy Quarterly Update Due #tsc-project-update - Thu, 02/07/2019 #tsc-project-update #cal-reminder

tsc@lists.hyperledger.org Calendar <tsc@...>
 

Reminder:
Hyperledger Indy Quarterly Update Due #tsc-project-update

When:
Thursday, 7 February 2019

Organizer:
tkuhrt@...

Description:
The Hyperledger Indy update to the TSC was due February 4, 2019, and it will be presented to the TSC on February 7, 2019. Please review the update at TSC Project Updates prior to the meeting and add your questions to the update.

View Event


Leaving The Linux Foundation

Tracy Kuhrt <tkuhrt@...>
 

I am writing to let you know that I will be leaving The Linux Foundation. I have enjoyed being a Community Architect at Hyperledger and getting to know everyone in the community. My tenure has seen me visiting 11 different countries and more cities than I can count to speak at different conferences and meetups around the world. I am proud to have had a hand in educating more than 120,000 people about both blockchain and Hyperledger. I plan to continue my role as a Hyperledger Labs Steward, and I expect that our paths will cross in the community.


My last day with The Linux Foundation is February 12, 2019. For future assistance, please reach out to the Hyperledger Community Architecture team at community-architects@... or at #community-architects.


----
Tracy Kuhrt
Community Architect, Hyperledger
The Linux Foundation
tkuhrt@...
Hyperledger Chat: @tkuhrt


Reminder: Call for 2019 Hyperledger Internship Projects and Mentors

Min Yu
 

Hyperledger Technical Community -

Please read about the reflections from last year's mentors and consider submitting a project for inclusion in this year's internship program. We're looking to fund 15 internship projects this year and will be accepting proposals till February 22nd. 

Please email internship@... if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Min
--
Min Yu
Operations Manager
The Linux Foundation
+1(530) 902-6464 (m)


Hyperledger Technical Community:

Today, we’re excited to open the call for the 2019 internship mentors and project ideas. We’re looking to sponsor 15 internship projects this year.

The Hyperledger internship program is aimed at creating a structured hands-on learning opportunity for college students who may otherwise lack the opportunity to gain exposure to Hyperledger open source development and entry to the technical community. It also provides a more defined path for Hyperledger to connect with the next generation of student developers to inject more talent into its developer base.

If you’ve identified a project or task that’s suitable for an internship project and you’re interested in mentoring a student developer, please define the project by completing the internship project proposal template on the wiki before February 22. Additional timeline for this year’s program is as follows:
  • Call for Internship Projects and Mentors: January 28 - February 22, 2019
  • TSC Review and Approval of Internship Projects: February 22 - February 28, 2019
  • Application Period: March (and possible through April 12, 2019)
  • Application Review and Applicant Interview: April
  • Intern Acceptance: end of April
  • Intern/Mentor Introduction and Onboarding: May
  • Intern Start Date: June 3, 2019
  • Full-time Intern Completion Date: August 23, 2019 (12 consecutive weeks)
  • Part-time Intern Completion Date: November 15, 2019 (24 consecutive weeks)

A few things to note as you plan to submit a project for consideration:
  • Multiple mentors supervising one intern per project would be desirable as this helps spread the workload and reduce the challenge of coverage caused by working remotely with an intern in a different time zone.
  • The mentor(s) need to be familiar with the project and is/are expected to directly supervise the intern’s technical work.
  • The proposed project needs to be clearly scoped and structured to be suitable for an internship project.
  • The project should be related to one of the current Hyperledger frameworks or tools.
  • The mentor(s) should be ready to be the sponsor of the internship project as a Hyperleger Lab when the internship commences. This ensures that the project progress can be tracked and the project output can be publicly accessible to the community.

Interns will be eligible to receive a stipend. The stipend will be paid in several installments provided that regular interval evaluations show the intern is making satisfactory progress. Each intern who has successfully completed the program will be invited and financially sponsored by Hyperledger to attend an event/conference and present their work to the broader community (specific event TBD but will be during Q3 or Q4 of this year). 

We look forward to your submission of a project and thank you in advance for volunteering your time to contribute to the training of the new talent pool in the Hyperledger community.

Kind regards,
Min

--
Min Yu
Operations Manager
The Linux Foundation
+1(530) 902-6464 (m)
myu@...


Re: CI/CD for Hyperledger projects

Jonathan Levi (HACERA)
 

Nikolai... did you mean to CC the entire mailing lists?

I always found Ry to be super responsive. Just engage directly... not sure there is a need for emails of this nature.

Unless there is another issue that the entire Fabric mailing list should be aware of... I am working under the assumption that not all transactions should be posted on a public, immutable, ledger ;-)

Thanks,
 

On Sun, Feb 3, 2019, 10:36 AM Iushkevich Nikolai <nikolai@... wrote:
Hi Ry, 

I’ve recently forwarded you some input from our team. Would this be sufficient for you?

Nikolai

On 25 Jan 2019, at 00:47, Ry Jones <rjones@...> wrote:

Could I ask any interested party to edit this page and add requirements?

I think it would be better for SNR if I wasn't filtering it.
Ry

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 1:16 AM Iushkevich Nikolai <nikolai@...> wrote:
+1. We definitely need to be in charge of pipeline settings, as it is in our interests to provide a reasonable quality gate for the project.

Nikolai

--
Ry Jones
Community Architect, Hyperledger
Chat: @ry


Re: CI/CD for Hyperledger projects

Nikolay Yushkevich <nikolai@...>
 

Hi Ry, 

I’ve recently forwarded you some input from our team. Would this be sufficient for you?

Nikolai

On 25 Jan 2019, at 00:47, Ry Jones <rjones@...> wrote:

Could I ask any interested party to edit this page and add requirements?

I think it would be better for SNR if I wasn't filtering it.
Ry

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 1:16 AM Iushkevich Nikolai <nikolai@...> wrote:
+1. We definitely need to be in charge of pipeline settings, as it is in our interests to provide a reasonable quality gate for the project.

Nikolai

--
Ry Jones
Community Architect, Hyperledger
Chat: @ry


Re: Big Data, AI and Blockchain

Cupid Chan <cchan@...>
 

Hello All:

I just want to close the loop here. After talking to the key players in BI & AI Project in ODPi, we decided the next project will be either “How BI can integrate with AI seamlessly" or "Define a set of unified AI API by which BI vendor can use call in to the underlying AI framework to see the real time model training status or visualize some what-if scenarios using the trained model.” Hence Blockchain related effort will be pushed back to at least one more release later in the future. I will keep you posted when the time comes and thanks again for your suggestion so far in this potential collaboration.

Regards,

Cupid Chan
CTO, Index Analytics
www.index-analytics.com
3700 Koppers Street, Suite 535
Baltimore, MD, 21227
Cell: 571-357-2426
cchan@...
SBA 8(a) | SBA HUBZone | GSA Schedule 70 | CMMI Level 3


On Jan 24, 2019, at 11:10 AM, Silona Bonewald <sbonewald@...> wrote:

If you would like to propose a Workgroup, our process is outlined here.  Be sure to incorporate the advice given here in this thread :-)

https://wiki2.hyperledger.org/display/HYP/Working+Group+Process

Thank you,
Silona

On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 3:58 PM Cupid Chan <cchan@...> wrote:
Thanks Kevlin! How about next Friday (1/18) morning at 9AM EST (Please let me know if you are not in East Coast) so that I have enough time to collect feedback from my team?

Thanks,

Cupid Chan
CTO, Index Analytics
www.index-analytics.com
3700 Koppers Street, Suite 535
Baltimore, MD, 21227
Cell: 571-357-2426
cchan@...
SBA 8(a) | SBA HUBZone | GSA Schedule 70 | CMMI Level 3

<Email Footer.png>

On Jan 9, 2019, at 2:35 PM, Kevlin Husser <kevlin@...> wrote:

Hi John,
Thanks for the follow up and keeping me in the loop.

Hi Cupid,
Daniela, our VP of Worldwide of Alliances for Hyperledger and I would love to schedule some time with you for a quick chat to get the latest on your internal discussions and developments regarding your interest the synergies of AI, Big Data and Blockchain.  Daniela works closely with the TSC group for the Hyperledger Project. 

Please find time here on our shared calendar:
https://calendly.com/newmember_hyperledger

We'd love to see how we could work together.

Best Regards,
Kevlin


Kevlin Husser
Technical Alliances Manager
The LINUX Foundation
Mobile: (925) 216-2955
kevlin@...
www.linuxfoundation.org



On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 11:30 AM Cupid Chan <cchan@...> wrote:
Hello John:

Thanks for the follow up. I will check with the AI & BI SIG to determine the topic and will circle back to Hyperledger group.

Regards,

Cupid Chan
CTO, Index Analytics
www.index-analytics.com
3700 Koppers Street, Suite 535
Baltimore, MD, 21227
Cell: 571-357-2426
cchan@...
SBA 8(a) | SBA HUBZone | GSA Schedule 70 | CMMI Level 3

<Email Footer.png>

On Jan 9, 2019, at 1:39 PM, John Mertic <jmertic@...> wrote:

Checking back in on this thread now after the holidays - what are next steps?

Thank you,

John Mertic
Director of Program Management - Linux Foundation
ASWF, ODPi, R Consortium, and Open Mainframe Project
Schedule time with me at https://calendly.com/jmertic



On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 4:23 PM Cupid Chan <cchan@...> wrote:
Hello Jay:

Thanks for your quick reply! The next step for us to do now is to identify a use case. My inner geek screams to add IoT as well but I am not sure if incorporating more may help or pull back the progress since adding AI and Blockchain to Big Data is already a big jump. With that being said, I am not opposing that at all. Just want to share my thought so that we are all aware. 

Before we jump on a call to discuss further, do you have some material that we can read and prepare?

Regards,

Cupid Chan
CTO, Index Analytics
www.index-analytics.com
3700 Koppers Street, Suite 535
Baltimore, MD, 21227
Cell: 571-357-2426
cchan@...
SBA 8(a) | SBA HUBZone | GSA Schedule 70 | CMMI Level 3

<Email Footer.png>

On Dec 20, 2018, at 12:18 PM, Jay Chugh <jay.chugh@...> wrote:

Cupid, 

It is a good initiative to consider. Among my responsibilities at Oracle, I am also responsible for AI and Blockchain Go-to-market initiatives, and would be interested in what you are doing. 
There could be a number of interesting use cases that are enabled by combining AI and Blockchain, both of which require access to data. There are also synergies of AI, Blockchain with IoT in case you were interested to include IoT as well.

Look forward to connecting more on this in the new year.  

Jay Chugh | Senior Director, Product GTM - Blockchain, AI, and IoT Cloud Platforms
Office +1.650.506.0677 | Mobile +1.408.489.9200 
600 Oracle Parkway, M/S 6OP863, Redwood Shores, CA 94065





On Dec 20, 2018, at 6:54 AM, Cupid Chan <cchan@...> wrote:

Hello Hyperledger TSC:

My name is Cupid Chan and I am TSC from Linux Foundation ODPi and also the Champion for BI & AI project in that group. We are planning out our 2019 initiative and one idea I have is to combine AI and Blockchain on top of Big Data. I have connected with Acumos group and got some interested there. I would like to see if you are also interested and/or have already got some material in place so that we don’t need to start from scratch. 

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards,

Cupid Chan
CTO, Index Analytics
www.index-analytics.com
3700 Koppers Street, Suite 535
Baltimore, MD, 21227
Cell: 571-357-2426
cchan@...
SBA 8(a) | SBA HUBZone | GSA Schedule 70 | CMMI Level 3

<Email Footer.png>

The content of this message is confidential. If you have received it by mistake, please inform us by an email reply and then delete the message. It is forbidden to copy, forward, or in any way reveal the contents of this message to anyone. The integrity and security of this email cannot be guaranteed over the Internet. Therefore, the sender will not be held liable for any damage caused by the message - Index Analytics LLC


The content of this message is confidential. If you have received it by mistake, please inform us by an email reply and then delete the message. It is forbidden to copy, forward, or in any way reveal the contents of this message to anyone. The integrity and security of this email cannot be guaranteed over the Internet. Therefore, the sender will not be held liable for any damage caused by the message - Index Analytics LLC

The content of this message is confidential. If you have received it by mistake, please inform us by an email reply and then delete the message. It is forbidden to copy, forward, or in any way reveal the contents of this message to anyone. The integrity and security of this email cannot be guaranteed over the Internet. Therefore, the sender will not be held liable for any damage caused by the message - Index Analytics LLC



The content of this message is confidential. If you have received it by mistake, please inform us by an email reply and then delete the message. It is forbidden to copy, forward, or in any way reveal the contents of this message to anyone. The integrity and security of this email cannot be guaranteed over the Internet. Therefore, the sender will not be held liable for any damage caused by the message - Index Analytics LLC




--
Silona Bonewald
VP of Community Architecture, Hyperledger
Mobile/Text: 512.750.9220
https://calendly.com/silona
The Linux Foundation
http://hyperledger.org

The content of this message is confidential. If you have received it by mistake, please inform us by an email reply and then delete the message. It is forbidden to copy, forward, or in any way reveal the contents of this message to anyone. The integrity and security of this email cannot be guaranteed over the Internet. Therefore, the sender will not be held liable for any damage caused by the message - Index Analytics LLC


Ursa logo survey now open

Dave Huseby <dhuseby@...>
 

Hello TSC,

I have put together a small survey with our available options for the
Ursa logo. I ask each one of you to weigh in with your first and
second choice and the winner will be chosen that way. I will leave the
survey available until 5 PM Pacific Time next Tuesday, February 5th.
This will allow me to announce the winner at our next meeting on
Wednesday, February 6th.

Here's the link:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/XNNHD2F

Cheers!
Dave
---
David Huseby
Security Maven, Hyperledger
The Linux Foundation
+1-206-234-2392
dhuseby@...


Re: TSC Agenda for 31 January 2019

Silona Bonewald <sbonewald@...>
 

Gah you are right I grabbed it from the website.

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 5:57 AM Silas Davis <silas@...> wrote:
@Silona Bonewald just to check, you said in your email 2-3 pm GMT - should this be 3-4 pm GMT (as I am 80% sure is the normal time...)


--
Silona Bonewald
VP of Community Architecture, Hyperledger
Mobile/Text: 512.750.9220
https://calendly.com/silona
The Linux Foundation
http://hyperledger.org


Re: TSC Agenda for 31 January 2019

Silas Davis
 

@Silona Bonewald just to check, you said in your email 2-3 pm GMT - should this be 3-4 pm GMT (as I am 80% sure is the normal time...)


Re: TSC Agenda for 31 January 2019

Vipin Bharathan
 

They have been running the TSC meeting on hyperledger.community.backup zoom channel

On Jan 31, 2019, at 8:27 AM, Sofia Terzi <sterzi@...> wrote:

Hello to all,

I cannot find the link for today’s meeting neither in the wiki nor in the calendar.

Is it common as to the other WG https://zoom.us/my/hyperledger.community ? If not would you be so kind to send it to me?

 

Thank you,

Sofia

 

From: Silona Bonewald <sbonewald@...>
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 12:56 AM
To: tsc@...; Sofia Terzi <sterzi@...>
Subject: TSC Agenda for 31 January 2019

 

31 Jan proposed agenda:

2-3PM GMT time

Announcement:

Discussion:

    • Include ask of TSC for projects to send a representative to LMGD group

Quarterly updates:

Delayed quarterly updates: (still missing)

Backlog:

Please let me know if I have missed anything.

--

Silona Bonewald

VP of Community Architecture, Hyperledger

Mobile/Text: 512.750.9220
https://calendly.com/silona

The Linux Foundation
http://hyperledger.org


Re: TSC Agenda for 31 January 2019

Sofia Terzi
 

Hello to all,

I cannot find the link for today’s meeting neither in the wiki nor in the calendar.

Is it common as to the other WG https://zoom.us/my/hyperledger.community ? If not would you be so kind to send it to me?

 

Thank you,

Sofia

 

From: Silona Bonewald <sbonewald@...>
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 12:56 AM
To: tsc@...; Sofia Terzi <sterzi@...>
Subject: TSC Agenda for 31 January 2019

 

31 Jan proposed agenda:

2-3PM GMT time

Announcement:

Discussion:

    • Include ask of TSC for projects to send a representative to LMGD group

Quarterly updates:

Delayed quarterly updates: (still missing)

Backlog:

Please let me know if I have missed anything.

--

Silona Bonewald

VP of Community Architecture, Hyperledger

Mobile/Text: 512.750.9220
https://calendly.com/silona

The Linux Foundation
http://hyperledger.org


Re: TSC Agenda for 31 January 2019

Arnaud Le Hors
 

Hi,
Unfortunately I'm speaking at a conference and won't be able to make the call this week.

I've reached out to the Composer maintainers but all the IBMers are off this week and no one else responded to my request on #composer. So, I think it will need to wait for next week when people are back.

Regards
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Web & Blockchain Open Technologies - IBM




From:        "Silona Bonewald" <sbonewald@...>
To:        tsc@..., Sofia Terzi <sterzi@...>
Date:        01/29/2019 11:56 PM
Subject:        [Hyperledger TSC] TSC Agenda for 31 January 2019
Sent by:        tsc@...




31 Jan proposed agenda:

2-3PM GMT time

Announcement:

Discussion:Quarterly updates:Delayed quarterly updates: (still missing)Backlog:Please let me know if I have missed anything.

--
Silona Bonewald
VP of Community Architecture, Hyperledger
Mobile/Text: 512.750.9220
https://calendly.com/silona
The Linux Foundation
http://hyperledger.org




TSC Agenda for 31 January 2019

Silona Bonewald <sbonewald@...>
 

31 Jan proposed agenda:

2-3PM GMT time

Announcement:

Discussion:

Quarterly updates:

Delayed quarterly updates: (still missing)

Backlog:

Please let me know if I have missed anything.

--
Silona Bonewald
VP of Community Architecture, Hyperledger
Mobile/Text: 512.750.9220
https://calendly.com/silona
The Linux Foundation
http://hyperledger.org


Contributors Summits (previously known as Maintainers Summits)

Tracy Kuhrt <tkuhrt@...>
 

Based on the TSC call last week, I renamed the Maintainers Summits to Contributors Summits, as well as, other changes. You can find the updated wiki page at https://wiki2.hyperledger.org/display/events/Contributors+Summits. Please review and provide your feedback via the Wiki.

----
Tracy Kuhrt
Community Architect, Hyperledger
The Linux Foundation
tkuhrt@...
Hyperledger Chat: @tkuhrt


Re: Smart contracts working group

Suma
 

Thanks Rich. 
Since the WG is just being instituted, I imagine it will take a while. But I agree that these conversations are important to have. 
I also look forward to see how things develop in this space.
SUMABALA NAIR
Software Engineer, Watson IoT Blockchain
Phone: 1-5122866731
 
 

----- Original message -----
From: Richard Bloch <richardbloch@...>
To: Suma <sumapnair@...>
Cc: dan@..., silas@..., tsc@...
Subject: Re: [Hyperledger TSC] Smart contracts working group
Date: Tue, Jan 29, 2019 9:55 AM
 
Good Morning Suma,
 
I'm the chair of the Healthcare SIG (HC-SIG), and my ears pricked up when I heard someone mention HIPAA compliance ;). 
 
Yes, there is great value in maturing the smart contracts space, and I'm personally interested to learn more as this WG comes together: smart contracts are cross-cutting in their design, and I imagine our SIG working in collaboration with this WG going forward.
 
I can tell you that our HC-SIG membership would see real value in having a representative from your WG speak at one of our bi-weekly general meetings. Please let me know when you're free to talk more, and we can schedule something.
 
Best of luck
 
Thanks
 
Rich
 
 
 
Richard Bloch
Principal, Business Learning Incorporated
Systems & Software Engineering
Seattle, Washington USA
   206.588.6054 - work 
   425.417.8255- mobile 
    www.businesslearninginc.com
 
On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 7:36 AM Suma <sumapnair@...> wrote:
This is very timely.
i've been very interested in the potential legal challenges around smart contracts  - How do smart contracts need to evolve to a point where they can be backed by legal and actually defended in a court of law? Should there be standardization organizations that work on this?
And also the possibilities around standardization of compliance implementations. For example, would it make sense to have standard smart contracts offered around, say HIPAA compliance that people can just optionally install with the fabric, for example?
 
 
SUMABALA NAIR
Software Engineer, Watson IoT Blockchain
Phone: 1-5122866731
 
 
----- Original message -----
From: "Dan Selman via Lists.Hyperledger.Org" <dan=clause.io@...>
Sent by: tsc@...
To: silas@...
Cc: tsc@...
Subject: Re: [Hyperledger TSC] Smart contracts working group
Date: Thu, Jan 24, 2019 4:49 AM
 
Sound good Silas. I’d be happy to contribute and to represent Accord Project.
 
Dan
 
On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 at 10:35, Silas Davis via Lists.Hyperledger.Org <silas=monax.io@...> wrote:
Hi Sofia,
 
I took a look at your proposal. My immediate reaction to the idea of a smart contracts working group is that it is a good idea. Smart contracts are the thing that attracted me to blockchain personally, but there remains a level of equivocation about what they are. The pragmatic model more favoured in Hyperledger seems to be 'they are just code that runs on a blockchain', the straw man model (since I think few people think this way post-DAO) is 'code is law', in fact probably the concept could be usefully unbundled, so I like the suggestion of a taxonomy as a primary output of a Smart Contract WG.
 
I also think, as with many proposals to the TSC, I think it would be useful to understand where the boundaries of such a group lie. A working group based in the model smart contracts as 'just code' seems like it would be far too general so I wonder how we could structure the mission of the group to have some focus. In terms of use cases, stories, and scenarios - whilst these are clearly a background to the usage of smart contracts I feel these topics are better covered in other groups and are general in the way code is general.
 
Some research topics and separation I would be interested in are:

- Models of and mechanism for computation, such as:
  - Stack machines vs automata vs manipulating algebraic types embedded in a another language
  - Scope for less expressive languages (that may have more tractability for formal methods)
  - Execution determinism, and sources of non-determinism in existing languages
  - Cost models for metering computation (e.g. gas)
  - Paradigms for smart contracts - e.g. 'identity-oriented', functional, process-oriented - extent to which smart contracts benefit from special purpose languages
  - Parallelism of execution, state independence (i.e. parallel processing in a single block)
- Formal guarantees on outputs of smart contracts
- Smart contract packaging, code reuse, and dependency auditing
- Smart contracts as representatives of obligations and fulfilment (i.e. 'law')
  - What properties should smart contracts with 'legal charge' have?
  - What relations can smart contracts have with actual contracts and agreements?
  - At what scale to smart contracts best contribute to certainty and execution of agreement?
  - What relationship do legal smart contracts have to models of computation?
- Generation of smart contracts from existing artefacts (natural language, business process, state machines, non smart-contract code)
- Data structures and state
  - Verifiable and authenticated data structures - e.g. merkle dags, log-backed maps,
  - How best to expose through smart contract languages/libraries
  - Sharing state backends across execution engines
  - Conflict-free and additive data structures
- Privacy
  - Multi-party secure computation
  - Differential privacy
  - Zero knowledge and practical building blocks - types of commitments and witnesses
- Tooling and compilers for existing virtual machines
  - WASM/eWASM
  - EVM
  - WebIDL
 
I think for a Hyperledger working group a good output would be to find practical ways to connect stuff 'out there' with things we could use within our implementations. I'd like to see a group that could survey the state of the art and academic content and produce 'Requests To Build' that could feed into feature planning on the frameworks.
 
Silas
 
On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 at 23:24, Sofia Terzi <sterzi@...> wrote:

Hello,

 

I have made a proposal for the smart contracts working group and send an email before a couple of days. I wanted to know if there is going to be a meeting tomorrow in order to present it to the committee as it is described in the process. Thank you

 

Best,

Sofia Terzi

 

Send from android Sony Xperia

 

 

 

 

--
 

Dan Selman

CTO

Email: dan@...

Mobile: +44 7785-792717

clause.io

         

This message is confidential and its contents shall not be distributed to any third parties without the permission of the sender. Similarly any documents that are marked as private and confidential or similar are strictly not for distribution or disclosure to any unaddressed parties, without exception. It may also be privileged or otherwise protected by work product immunity or other legal rules. If you have received it by mistake, please let us know by e-mail reply and delete it from your system. You may not copy this message or disclose its contents to anyone. The integrity and security of this message cannot be guaranteed on the Internet.

 
 

 

 

 


Re: Smart contracts working group

Rich Bloch <richardbloch@...>
 

Good Morning Suma,

I'm the chair of the Healthcare SIG (HC-SIG), and my ears pricked up when I heard someone mention HIPAA compliance ;). 

Yes, there is great value in maturing the smart contracts space, and I'm personally interested to learn more as this WG comes together: smart contracts are cross-cutting in their design, and I imagine our SIG working in collaboration with this WG going forward.

I can tell you that our HC-SIG membership would see real value in having a representative from your WG speak at one of our bi-weekly general meetings. Please let me know when you're free to talk more, and we can schedule something.

Best of luck

Thanks

Rich

Richard Bloch
Principal, Business Learning Incorporated
Systems & Software Engineering
Seattle, Washington USA
   206.588.6054 - work 
   425.417.8255- mobile 
    www.businesslearninginc.com


On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 7:36 AM Suma <sumapnair@...> wrote:
This is very timely.
i've been very interested in the potential legal challenges around smart contracts  - How do smart contracts need to evolve to a point where they can be backed by legal and actually defended in a court of law? Should there be standardization organizations that work on this?
And also the possibilities around standardization of compliance implementations. For example, would it make sense to have standard smart contracts offered around, say HIPAA compliance that people can just optionally install with the fabric, for example?
 
 
SUMABALA NAIR
Software Engineer, Watson IoT Blockchain
Phone: 1-5122866731
 
 
----- Original message -----
From: "Dan Selman via Lists.Hyperledger.Org" <dan=clause.io@...>
Sent by: tsc@...
To: silas@...
Cc: tsc@...
Subject: Re: [Hyperledger TSC] Smart contracts working group
Date: Thu, Jan 24, 2019 4:49 AM
 
Sound good Silas. I’d be happy to contribute and to represent Accord Project.
 
Dan
 
On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 at 10:35, Silas Davis via Lists.Hyperledger.Org <silas=monax.io@...> wrote:
Hi Sofia,
 
I took a look at your proposal. My immediate reaction to the idea of a smart contracts working group is that it is a good idea. Smart contracts are the thing that attracted me to blockchain personally, but there remains a level of equivocation about what they are. The pragmatic model more favoured in Hyperledger seems to be 'they are just code that runs on a blockchain', the straw man model (since I think few people think this way post-DAO) is 'code is law', in fact probably the concept could be usefully unbundled, so I like the suggestion of a taxonomy as a primary output of a Smart Contract WG.
 
I also think, as with many proposals to the TSC, I think it would be useful to understand where the boundaries of such a group lie. A working group based in the model smart contracts as 'just code' seems like it would be far too general so I wonder how we could structure the mission of the group to have some focus. In terms of use cases, stories, and scenarios - whilst these are clearly a background to the usage of smart contracts I feel these topics are better covered in other groups and are general in the way code is general.
 
Some research topics and separation I would be interested in are:

- Models of and mechanism for computation, such as:
  - Stack machines vs automata vs manipulating algebraic types embedded in a another language
  - Scope for less expressive languages (that may have more tractability for formal methods)
  - Execution determinism, and sources of non-determinism in existing languages
  - Cost models for metering computation (e.g. gas)
  - Paradigms for smart contracts - e.g. 'identity-oriented', functional, process-oriented - extent to which smart contracts benefit from special purpose languages
  - Parallelism of execution, state independence (i.e. parallel processing in a single block)
- Formal guarantees on outputs of smart contracts
- Smart contract packaging, code reuse, and dependency auditing
- Smart contracts as representatives of obligations and fulfilment (i.e. 'law')
  - What properties should smart contracts with 'legal charge' have?
  - What relations can smart contracts have with actual contracts and agreements?
  - At what scale to smart contracts best contribute to certainty and execution of agreement?
  - What relationship do legal smart contracts have to models of computation?
- Generation of smart contracts from existing artefacts (natural language, business process, state machines, non smart-contract code)
- Data structures and state
  - Verifiable and authenticated data structures - e.g. merkle dags, log-backed maps,
  - How best to expose through smart contract languages/libraries
  - Sharing state backends across execution engines
  - Conflict-free and additive data structures
- Privacy
  - Multi-party secure computation
  - Differential privacy
  - Zero knowledge and practical building blocks - types of commitments and witnesses
- Tooling and compilers for existing virtual machines
  - WASM/eWASM
  - EVM
  - WebIDL
 
I think for a Hyperledger working group a good output would be to find practical ways to connect stuff 'out there' with things we could use within our implementations. I'd like to see a group that could survey the state of the art and academic content and produce 'Requests To Build' that could feed into feature planning on the frameworks.
 
Silas
 
On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 at 23:24, Sofia Terzi <sterzi@...> wrote:

Hello,

 

I have made a proposal for the smart contracts working group and send an email before a couple of days. I wanted to know if there is going to be a meeting tomorrow in order to present it to the committee as it is described in the process. Thank you

 

Best,

Sofia Terzi

 

Send from android Sony Xperia

 

 

 

 

--

Dan Selman

CTO

Email: dan@...

Mobile: +44 7785-792717

clause.io

    social

This message is confidential and its contents shall not be distributed to any third parties without the permission of the sender. Similarly any documents that are marked as private and confidential or similar are strictly not for distribution or disclosure to any unaddressed parties, without exception. It may also be privileged or otherwise protected by work product immunity or other legal rules. If you have received it by mistake, please let us know by e-mail reply and delete it from your system. You may not copy this message or disclose its contents to anyone. The integrity and security of this message cannot be guaranteed on the Internet.

 


Re: [Hyperledger Identity WG] Proposal for a new SIG (Financial Markets SIG)

Jonathan Levi (HACERA)
 

Since nobody sleeps in this project ;-), just a quick one: let’s choose whether it’s “Financial Markets” or “Capital Markets”…
If people thought that the Supply Chain attracted interest, I am sure that Financial/Capital Markets one will be at least as interesting with so much going on.

I love the initiative Vipin.

Thanks,

Jonathan Levi

On Jan 29, 2019, at 12:41 AM, Brian Behlendorf <bbehlendorf@...> wrote:

Hi Vipin,

Thanks for writing up the proposal.  It's well worth while developing new SIGs within Hyperledger where there exists the demand and volunteer time available, and I appreciate your willingness to help lead such a SIG.  We recently decided (within the TSC and then approved by the Governing Board) that SIGs no longer needed to be run or approved by the TSC, and instead are launched and managed by HL staff in consultation with the community.  We'd still love to see public input and brainstorming around SIG proposals, so the Google doc seems like a decent place for that, and announcing them here also a great idea. 

Personally, I like the idea of this SIG and hope we find more folks interested in joining.  It certainly contains topics I know I've heard others express interest in having a SIG for, particularly post-trade.  And it feels sufficiently well scoped, and distinct from the other existing SIGs.

Thanks,

Brian


On 1/28/19 5:13 PM, Vipin Bharathan wrote:
Hello All,
Please find  the proposal for a new SIG called Financial Markets SIG. This SIG has been brewing for a few years; first there was no place to hold discussion on verticals and we did some of this thinking in the Requirements working group specifically in the Post-Trade Settlement use case. However with the maturity and the appearance of numerous Financial Markets use cases implemented using dlts under Hyperledger, we believe its time has come.  
The discussions with STAC in Performance and Scale Working Group were the final catalyst. 
Please have a look at the SIG proposal and comment on it, any and all suggestions are welcome. Looking forward to a fruitful discussion.
Best,
Vipin 


-- 
Brian Behlendorf
Executive Director, Hyperledger
bbehlendorf@...
Twitter: @brianbehlendorf


Re: [Hyperledger Identity WG] Proposal for a new SIG (Financial Markets SIG)

Brian Behlendorf
 

Hi Vipin,

Thanks for writing up the proposal.  It's well worth while developing new SIGs within Hyperledger where there exists the demand and volunteer time available, and I appreciate your willingness to help lead such a SIG.  We recently decided (within the TSC and then approved by the Governing Board) that SIGs no longer needed to be run or approved by the TSC, and instead are launched and managed by HL staff in consultation with the community.  We'd still love to see public input and brainstorming around SIG proposals, so the Google doc seems like a decent place for that, and announcing them here also a great idea. 

Personally, I like the idea of this SIG and hope we find more folks interested in joining.  It certainly contains topics I know I've heard others express interest in having a SIG for, particularly post-trade.  And it feels sufficiently well scoped, and distinct from the other existing SIGs.

Thanks,

Brian


On 1/28/19 5:13 PM, Vipin Bharathan wrote:
Hello All,
Please find  the proposal for a new SIG called Financial Markets SIG. This SIG has been brewing for a few years; first there was no place to hold discussion on verticals and we did some of this thinking in the Requirements working group specifically in the Post-Trade Settlement use case. However with the maturity and the appearance of numerous Financial Markets use cases implemented using dlts under Hyperledger, we believe its time has come.  
The discussions with STAC in Performance and Scale Working Group were the final catalyst. 
Please have a look at the SIG proposal and comment on it, any and all suggestions are welcome. Looking forward to a fruitful discussion.
Best,
Vipin 


-- 
Brian Behlendorf
Executive Director, Hyperledger
bbehlendorf@...
Twitter: @brianbehlendorf

1881 - 1900 of 3893