Date

Re: [Hyperledger Project TSC] Draft Agenda for 2/18 TSC Meeting

Michael Dolan <mdolan@...>

Hi everyone, just another reminder to get any TSC Chair nominations in by 9pm Pacific Time TODAY. I’ve only seen a nomination from Chris Ferris. If anyone else on the TSC wishes to be nominated, please send your nomination ASAP.

Second, Intel has notified me they’re ready to discuss a contribution they’re planning to make and have been working on. I’ve allocated time for an overview tomorrow. They’re still working to clear the code for making it available, but it would be good to get an understanding of their proposal. I’ve revised the agenda below to accommodate and have attached a PDF of slides Mic would like to walk through.

Please note we have a very tight agenda and I’d ask you dial in a few minutes early so that we can get a quick start. Given the high number of participants last week, we’ve turned off the beeping feature on GoToMeeting when new participants join. Hopefully that will enable a smoother discussion.

Agenda:
  • 5-10 mins: Statement from each TSC Chair nominee (3-5 mins per nominee; list or number of nominees TBD)
  • 10 mins: Code of Conduct discussion (Chris Ferris) (link to referenced CF CoC: https://www.cloudfoundry.org/foundation/code-of-conduct)
  • 10 mins: Intel contribution overview (Mic Bowman)
  • 5 mins: Draft project proposal template (Stefan Buhrmester and Vipin Bharathan, if ready)
  • 30 mins: Discussion on basic use cases to address
  • 20 mins: Initial discussion on how proposed contributions could be converged
Thanks,

Mike

---
Mike Dolan
VP of Strategic Programs

On Feb 16, 2016, at 5:32 PM, Michael Dolan <mdolan@...> wrote:

For Thursday’s Hyperledger TSC Call, below are the agenda topics I’ve captured from last meeting and subsequent email threads. Please remember the deadline for submitting TSC Chair nominations is tomorrow (Wed) at 9pm US Pacific Time. I’d like to give any nominees a few minutes to discuss their candidacy at the start of the call, if the nominees want to.

Finally, if anyone would like to volunteer to lead the discussion on use cases or convergence proposals, please let me know. I saw Binh sent an email with a conversion proposal last week, but wasn’t sure if we should plan for any others who can lead portions of the discussion.

Draft Agenda:
  • 5-20 mins: Statement from each TSC Chair nominee (3-5 mins per nominee; list or number of nominees TBD)
  • 15 mins: Code of Conduct discussion (Chris Ferris) (link to referenced CF CoC: https://www.cloudfoundry.org/foundation/code-of-conduct)
  • 30 mins: Discussion on basic use cases to address
  • 30 mins: Discussion on how proposed contributions could be converged
  • 10 mins: Project proposal template (Stefan Buhrmester and Vipin Bharathan, if time permits)
If there are any other agenda topics we should add, please let me know.

Thanks,

Mike

---
Mike Dolan
VP of Strategic Programs
The Linux Foundation
Office: +1.330.460.3250   Cell: +1.440.552.5322  Skype: michaelkdolan
mdolan@...
---

Re: [Hyperledger Project TSC] Slack access

Todd Benzies <tbenzies@...>

Hi all,

I have been whitelisting domains for the Hyperledger Project Slack.  You should be able to join at https://hyperledgerproject.slack.com/signup.  If your domain is not listed, please shoot me a private message at tbenzies@... so that I can whitelist your domain.

Regards,

Todd

On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 4:15 AM, Christopher B Ferris <chrisfer@...> wrote:
Slack is open to everyone, but because Slack has a more enterprise login approach, we have to add the domains.

Todd will you please add any domains of members not already white-listed?

IBM Distinguished Engineer, CTO Open Technology
IBM Cloud, Open Technologies
blog: https://developer.ibm.com/opentech/author/chrisfer/

From: Thane Thomson via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...>
Sent by: hyperledger-tsc-bounces@...
To: hyperledger-tsc@...
Subject: [Hyperledger Project TSC] Slack access
Date: Fri, Feb 12, 2016 3:53 AM

Hi everybody!

Thanks so much for the meeting minutes. Is the Slack team only available for TSC purposes, or are technical discussions welcome too? If so, how does a technical contributor (such as I’d like to be) gain access?

Thane

Todd Benzies
Senior Program Manager
The Linux Foundation
+1 (415) 412-0310 (m)
Skype: tbenzies

Re: [Hyperledger Project TSC] code-of conduct

Remco Rijnders <remco.rijnders@...>

On Sat, Feb 13, 2016 at 05:44:01PM +0000, Christopher wrote in <201602131744.u1DHi7Vu011938@...>:
One thing that i believe that we should establish early on is a code of conduct for the Hyperledger project.

I helped craft the CoC used by one of our sibling projects at the LF - the Cloud Foundry Foundation [1] - we based that on a number of similar documents from a variety of projects. I'm a bit biased, but I'd like to propose we use it as a starting point to crafting our own.

Mike, can we please add 'code of conduct proposal' to next week's agenda, and reference the link below?

Meanwhile, I'd welcome discussion on any proposed improvements.

[1] https://www.cloudfoundry.org/foundation/code-of-conduct/
How about having no code of conduct? See for example https://github.com/domgetter/NCoC/blob/master/CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md

In my opinion, a CoC brings nothing over normal civil behaviour which I feel is an implicit requirement for succesful participation in any project. Trying to codify everything in rules will only lead to people discussing and arguing the rules, look for corner cases and exceptions, etc. Common sense beats a CoC any day [*].

Remco

[*] I realise common sense is not all that common, unfortunately.

Re: [Hyperledger Project TSC] Draft Agenda for 2/18 TSC Meeting

Patrick Salami

Hello,

I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself: I am co-founder of HitFin (http://www.hitfin.com), a software company that brings traditional financial contracts (such as derivatives) to the blockchain. Our platform is based on Ethereum, but we are very interested in participating in this project to help move blockchain technology forward.

We are in regular contact with customers from the financial services and insurance industries who approach us with specific use cases for blockchain technology. Through those conversations, we are learning a lot about the strengths and weaknesses of the current-generation technology and we have collected ideas regarding how future generations can offer improvements and deliver value to the financial services industry, particularly related to trading and post-trade clearing & settlement. I would be happy to share some of those thoughts during the call on Thursday.

Best,

Patrick Salami
CTO, HitFin
@hitfin
m: (858) 449-2241

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 2:32 PM, Michael Dolan via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...> wrote:
[...]

Mic Bowman

Mike,

We discussed taking time for an overview of what Intel plans to commit. I could provide a high level overview this week or we could wait until the code is finally published.

--mic

[...]

Re: [Hyperledger Project TSC] Reminder: Send in TSC Chair nominations

Christopher B Ferris <chrisfer@...>

Fellow TSC members,

I'd like to self-nominate for the position as TSC Chair. Attached is my brief bio and pitch.

IBM Distinguished Engineer, CTO Open Technology

IBM Cloud, Open Technologies

blog: https://developer.ibm.com/opentech/author/chrisfer/

phone: +1 508 667 0402

-----hyperledger-tsc-bounces@... wrote: -----To: tsc@...
From: Michael Dolan via hyperledger-tsc
Sent by: hyperledger-tsc-bounces@...
Date: 02/16/2016 11:42AM
Subject: [Hyperledger Project TSC] Reminder: Send in TSC Chair nominations

Hyperledger TSC members, per the election process approved by the TSC last Thursday, I’d like to remind you that if you are on the TSC and would like to run for the TSC Chair position, please send your nominations and brief bio/pitch to the TSC list. Todd and I will consolidate the nominations into a single PDF and distribute that information for voting.

Thanks,

Mike

---
[...]

Dan O'Prey <dan@...>

Sounds like a great idea and good starting point.

Dan O'Prey
CMO
162 5th Avenue, Suite 902, New York, NY, 10010
646-468-0213 | in | @ | dan.oprey

On Sat, Feb 13, 2016 at 12:44 PM, Christopher B Ferris via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...> wrote:
(resending as text)

One thing that i believe that we should establish early on is a code of conduct for the Hyperledger project.

I helped craft the CoC used by one of our sibling projects at the LF - the Cloud Foundry Foundation [1] - we based that on a number of similar documents from a variety of projects. I'm a bit biased, but I'd like to propose we use it as a starting point to crafting our own.

Mike, can we please add 'code of conduct proposal' to next week's agenda, and reference the link below?

Meanwhile, I'd welcome discussion on any proposed improvements.

[1] https://www.cloudfoundry.org/foundation/code-of-conduct/

IBM Distinguished Engineer, CTO Open Technology
IBM Cloud, Open Technologies
blog: https://developer.ibm.com/opentech/author/chrisfer/

This message, and any attachments, is for the intended recipient(s) only, may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or proprietary and subject to important terms and conditions available at http://www.digitalasset.com/emaildisclaimer.html. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message.

Re: [Hyperledger Project TSC] code-of conduct

Christopher B Ferris <chrisfer@...>

(resending as text)

One thing that i believe that we should establish early on is a code of conduct for the Hyperledger project.

I helped craft the CoC used by one of our sibling projects at the LF - the Cloud Foundry Foundation [1] - we based that on a number of similar documents from a variety of projects. I'm a bit biased, but I'd like to propose we use it as a starting point to crafting our own.

Mike, can we please add 'code of conduct proposal' to next week's agenda, and reference the link below?

Meanwhile, I'd welcome discussion on any proposed improvements.

[1] https://www.cloudfoundry.org/foundation/code-of-conduct/

IBM Distinguished Engineer, CTO Open Technology
IBM Cloud, Open Technologies
blog: https://developer.ibm.com/opentech/author/chrisfer/

Re: [Hyperledger Project TSC] [technical-discuss] Proposal for Hyperledger Technical CommunityCall

Christopher B Ferris <chrisfer@...>

Thanks, Mike!

We should have IRC integrated with Slack... I know some people prefer IRC and some Slack. best of both worlds if we can unite them.

I think a wiki would be useful. It is fairly simple to set one up in git. Whatever is easiest.

From: Michael Dolan via hyperledger-technical-discuss <hyperledger-technical-discuss@...>
Sent by: hyperledger-technical-discuss-bounces@...
To: tsc@..., technical-discuss@...
Subject: [technical-discuss] Proposal for Hyperledger Technical Community Call
Date: Wed, Feb 10, 2016 5:57 PM

Welcome to the (now official) Hyperledger Community. Thank you to everyone who helped with the launch of the project and getting everything lined up for a very strong start.

We have a technical community call scheduled for Thursday at 10am Eastern Time. The GoToMeeting details are below. Our apologies for last week’s disruption with the 25 person limit. We have fixed that issue and now have a 100 person capacity. I’m also copying both the TSC and the technical-discuss mailing lists. In the future, we will just use the TSC mailing list for TSC meetings. However, I didn’t want to miss anyone this first week, so I’ve copied both lists. If you have not signed up for any mailing lists, you will want to do so here: https://lists.hyperledger.org/mailman/listinfo

I look forward to our discussion tomorrow.

— Mike

Proposed Agenda

I’ll propose the agenda below for tomorrow, if you have other thoughts / comments, please let me know.
  1. Process for electing a TSC Chair (10 mins). Also, if you are a Premier member and have not yet notified Todd (CC’d) of your TSC Chair representative, please do so ASAP. We will distribute a list of the TSC reps to the TSC when we have everyone identified.
  2. Discussion of tools/services that would be helpful to the community. We have setup IRC:  #hyperledger on freenode with Meetbot. We have the mailing lists. Does the TSC want to see anything else? E.g. Slack? A wiki such as https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/hyperledger shared wiki or setup wiki.hyperledger.org?
  3. Future meeting day/times? Do we use this time slot for the TSC going forward or does the TSC prefer a different cadence and/or time or day?
  4. Discuss where/how to land code. Common question we’re getting is “where is the code?” Need to discuss how to get proposed code into public review.
  5. Discuss process for getting to a code starting point. Proposal template for evaluation?
  6. Discuss proposals for the common starting points
    • Networking
    • BFT
    • Storage
    • Cryptographic libraries
    • Member services
1. Proposed TSC Chair Election Process
  • Begin nomination period: Thursday, Feb 11th, nominations includes a short bio/pitch less than 1 page
  • End nomination period: 9pm Pacific Time on Wednesday, Feb 17th
  • Send slate of respective nominees to Silver Members: Thursday, Feb 18th
  • Send TSC members the ballot link to electronic voting: Thursday, Feb 18th using Condorcet voting (http://civs.cs.cornell.edu/)
  • Voting period ends: Tuesday, Feb 23rd at 9pm Pacific Time
  • Election winners announced: Wednesday, Feb 24th
GoToMeeting Instructions

You can also dial in using your phone.

United States (toll-free): 1 877 309 2070
United States: +1 (312) 757-3119

Access Code: 613-310-429

[Hyperledger Project TSC] code-of conduct

Christopher B Ferris <chrisfer@...>

One thing that i believe that we should establish early on is a code of conduct for the Hyperledger project.

I helped craft the CoC used by one of our sibling projects at the LF - the Cloud Foundry Foundation [1] - we based that on a number of similar documents from a variety of projects. I'm a bit biased, but I'd like to propose we use it as a starting point to crafting our own.

Mike, can we please add 'code of conduct proposal' to next week's agenda, and reference the link below?

Meanwhile, I'd welcome discussion on any proposed improvements.

IBM Distinguished Engineer, CTO Open Technology
IBM Cloud, Open Technologies
blog: https://developer.ibm.com/opentech/author/chrisfer/
phone: +1 508 667 0402

Re: [Hyperledger Project TSC] Minutes 02.11.16

Christopher B Ferris <chrisfer@...>

(moving -tsc to bcc)

Folk, please use the hyperledger-technical-discuss@... list for technical discussions.

The -tsc list is intended mostly for TSC administrivia (minutes, meeting notices, and various other interactions related to the TSC).

If you haven't signed up, the mailing list subscription is here

From: Harsh Patel via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...>
Sent by: hyperledger-tsc-bounces@...
To: Fabian Schuh <fabian@...>
Cc: hyperledger-tsc@...
Subject: Re: [Hyperledger Project TSC] Minutes 02.11.16
Date: Fri, Feb 12, 2016 11:23 AM

Hi Fabian,

In such a situation from system design end we would need a blockchains which has three mode of operation.
  • Public mode (No Privacy)
  • Semi Private ( Limited parameters of the application kept private.)
  • Fully private operation  (All Parameters kept private )
Where by keeping the amount of privacy, at the disposal of the user. As all three modes have their own use cases and application. In case of fully private operation would be application for Health records.

--
Regards

Harsh

On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 9:25 PM, Fabian Schuh via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...> wrote:
I agree that we need to distinguish
a) identity privacy from
b) transaction content privacy
and it depends on the purpose of the blockchain and the kind of transactions that you want to use on the blockchain.

For instance, if you just want to transfer a token (such as bitcoin), you don't need to actually hide the amount of tokens transfered (even though that would be very well possible, such that only sender and receiver can figure out the actual amount).
But, as described in the other mail, if you want to put a decentralized exchange or a bond market on a blockchain, you NEED to hide prices/amounts to not be the victim of
people that misuse the information to cheat your 'orders' .. such as short orders or loans in a bond market.

Another use case wold be health insurance. You can put your health data in a public blockchain, but you want that only your doctors are able to decrypt it and not everyone else.

All of what I said above is technologically feasible today.

Cheers
 -- Fabian

On 02/12/2016 03:59 PM, Duc.M.Trinh@... wrote:
Is the goal to support anonymity (from an identity perspective) or is the goal to mask the actual contents/value of your transactions?  IMO, the former is a reasonable requirement.  However, the latter seems contradictory to the original purpose of the blockchain.

--

*Fabian Schuh* / Business Developer, Technical Consultant
fabian@... <mailto:fabian@...>

   CRYPTONOMEX, INC.

2020 Kraft Dr Suite 3040
Blacksburg, VA 24060
www.cryptonomex.com <https://www.cryptonomex.com>

<https://www.linkedin.com/company/cryptonomex-inc-> <https://github.com/cryptonomex> <https://twitter.com/cryptonomex> <https://www.facebook.com/cryptonomex>

Cryptonomex is a leading supplier of advanced block chain technology. That can range from simple advice, to deployment of your application on one of our public block chains, to creating your own private chain

[Hyperledger Project TSC] How to get involved in hyperledger

Fabian Schuh <fabian@...>

Hello TSC members,

we have been trying to reach out to this group since we first came across
the blog post about Linux Foundation's blockchain initiative and have never
heard back. Did we choose the wrong approach?

Anyway, our company (Cryptonomex Inc.) would like to get more involved with
this initiative. Not only because we can contribute quite some amount of code,
but also because many members of our core team have been part of the crypto
currency ecosystem for several years and have come up with quite some innovations.

I have recently filled out the form to apply for a corporate membership but again
haven't heard back.

How should we proceed to get involved in Hyperledger? Where can I get more material
about the goals of the initiative and this steering committee?

Hoping for a reply this time.

Cheers
-- Fabian Schuh

*Fabian Schuh* / Business Developer, Technical Consultant
fabian@... <mailto:fabian@...>

CRYPTONOMEX, INC.

2020 Kraft Dr Suite 3040
Blacksburg, VA 24060
www.cryptonomex.com <https://www.cryptonomex.com>

<https://www.linkedin.com/company/cryptonomex-inc-> <https://github.com/cryptonomex> <https://twitter.com/cryptonomex> <https://www.facebook.com/cryptonomex>

Cryptonomex is a leading supplier of advanced block chain technology. That can range from simple advice, to deployment of your application on one of our public block chains, to creating your own private chain

Re: [Hyperledger Project TSC] Suggestion to make this list moderated

Dan O'Prey <dan@...>

+1

Would be good to be read only for anyone but posting restricted to TSC members.

sent from a phone, excuse typos

On Feb 12, 2016 11:30 AM, "Christopher B Ferris via hyperledger-tsc" <hyperledger-tsc@...> wrote:
+1, great idea

Todd, wonder if you could set that up?

From: Allen via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...>
Sent by: hyperledger-tsc-bounces@...
To: hyperledger-tsc@...
Subject: [Hyperledger Project TSC] Suggestion to make this list moderated

From: Allen via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...>
Sent by: hyperledger-tsc-bounces@...
To: hyperledger-tsc@...
Date: Fri, Feb 12, 2016 10:54 AM

I would suggest that this list (hyperledger-tsc) be turned into a moderated list.  Otherwise, all kinds of technical discussions are going to end up posted to this list (or cross posted to this list) when they should be posted to only to hyperledger-technical-discuss.  Leaving this list unmoderated will cause confusion and undermine the reason two lists were set up in the first place...

Re: [Hyperledger Project TSC] Minutes 02.11.16

Binh Q Nguyen <binhn@...>

+1

In OBC, we differentiate between privacy (your a) from confidentiality (your b) and provide both as options, depending on the requirements of the blockchain deployment.

- Binh

Fabian Schuh via hyperledger-tsc ---02/12/2016 10:56:59 AM---I agree that we need to distinguish a) identity privacy from

From: Fabian Schuh via hyperledger-tsc <hyperledger-tsc@...>
To: Duc.M.Trinh@...
Cc: hyperledger-tsc@...
Date: 02/12/2016 10:56 AM

<
[...]

Allen

I would suggest that this list (hyperledger-tsc) be turned into a moderated list.  Otherwise, all kinds of technical discussions are going to end up posted to this list (or cross posted to this list) when they should be posted to only to hyperledger-technical-discuss.  Leaving this list unmoderated will cause confusion and undermine the reason two lists were set up in the first place...

3861 - 3880 of 3894