Re: Proposing Solang Solidity Compiler

Vipin Bharathan

Hi Sean,

I am reaching out as a lab steward. If you have suggestions to improve the working of the labs, especially for small projects like yours; I am all ears.
We need to make some changes based on feedback. I will bring this topic up with the other stewards (who are no doubt following this thread).

As a lapsed OS hacker and compiler nerd, I understand your concerns about the capabilities needed to participate in your lab.
However, these capabilities are more widespread than we can imagine. Also, you need others, who are not compiler nerds to participate to bring the labs into a project. Document writers, design reviewers, technical mavens, we need participation from a wider array of folks.

Thanks again for contributing to the community.

Vipin

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 1:07 AM Sean Young <sean@...> wrote:
Hi Vipin,

First of all thank you for your kind words, it's appreciated.

As you point out, a single maintainer isn't ideal. I have spoken to many
people who are interested in the project. However, the set of people who
understand how compilers are built, rust, llvm, and Solidity is a small
intersection. My hope was that through being a hyperledger project,
more contributers/maintainers will present themselves.

My hope remains that through becoming a full-fledged project that it would
increase collaboration between Solang and the ledger projects, and help
write Solang target support for any ledger project that wants Solidity
support, using their flavour of webassembly (not just ewasm).

Secondly I hoped it would simply get more people using Solang.

The aim is not to be a top-level project; the aim is to be succcessful
project. However, it feels somewhat like a chicken-and-egg type problem.

Thanks,

Sean