Re: Feb 6 agenda

Danno Ferrin <danno.ferrin@...>

That would limit to running it in only the directory from which the command is installed. If you run it from the root of the community tools repo it uses the default config. There is also a way to subvert the conformance where a repo installs their own repolint.json and override the one that is checking for conformance.  We may want something like that for repos to turn off the "SHOULD" options but right now the configs are not composable.  The forced overwrite in the cloned repo mitigates that risk. I think we should move further discussion about the tool into the PR.

But are there any comments about the spec I proposed in the README.md?  That is the more substantive part of my proposal.

On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 5:35 PM Christopher Ferris <chris.ferris@...> wrote:
I’ve tested and it just needs to be in the directory from which you run the box command. This is how I was able to run against every repo.

Chris

On Feb 17, 2020, at 6:44 PM, Danno Ferrin <danno.ferrin@...> wrote:

On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 4:12 PM Christopher B Ferris <chrisfer@...> wrote:
Danno, thanks for taking the initiative on this. However, it isn't clear to me that you need to clone the repo. The repolinter.js already handles that if you use the --git option and point it at the GH repo url.

Under the covers it just clones the repo locally so this is just a refactoring of where that is done: https://github.com/todogroup/repolinter/blob/master/bin/repolinter.js#L14

Basically, you just need to have the repolint.json in the directory from which you run the job.

The CLI doesn't pass in the ruleset argument, all it gets is the location of the repo.  All config searches are resolved against the target dir not the invocations unfortunately.  We could write our own JS invocation of it I suppose, but we would have to include the git clone stuff again anyway as the CLI scipt is where this magic is done.

Note also that you do need to install the ruby tools that check the license and language. A bit of a pain.

Could be worse, it seems to work well with the default ruby version integrated into MacOS.

But, the point is that when you give it the git URL it will automatically clone the repo to a tmp directory (it will create this as needed) and it cleans up afterwards, IIRC.

From: "Danno Ferrin" <danno.ferrin@...>
Sent by: tsc@...
To: Christopher Ferris <chris.ferris@...>
Cc: "Middleton, Dan" <dan.middleton@...>, Arnaud Le Hors <lehors@...>, Hyperledger List <tsc@...>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [Hyperledger TSC] Feb 6 agenda
Date: Mon, Feb 17, 2020 5:21 PM

As requested in the 13 Feb TSC call here is my proposal for a spec based repository structure -

I also updated the repolint.json and made it into a community management tools shell script that can be run like the other community management tools.  It addresses some of the quirks from trying to run it from the fabric repo against other repos.

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 5:53 AM Christopher Ferris <chris.ferris@...> wrote:

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 11:43 AM Christopher Ferris <chrisfer@...> wrote:
Yes, but I thought we also agreed more detail. I have taken that step and would like TSC to weigh in with nod of agreement, then we can socialize to the various projects not covered by TSC members.

From: "Middleton, Dan" <dan.middleton@...>
Sent by: tsc@...
To: Arnaud Le Hors <lehors@...>
Cc: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Date: Wed, Feb 5, 2020 11:21 AM

Hi,

On repo linting I was thinking of how we concluded the conversation last time

https://wiki.hyperledger.org/display/TSC/2020+01+30+TSC+Minutes

“Let's run this by the Project Maintainers? Dan Middleton  Chris will do a report Christopher Ferris

Regards,

Dan Middleton

Principal Engineer

Intel

From: Arnaud Le Hors <lehors@...>
Date: Wednesday, February 5, 2020 at 10:08 AM
To: Dan Middleton <dan.middleton@...>
Cc: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Subject: RE: [Hyperledger TSC] Feb 6 agenda

Thanks for letting us know Dan.

On the repo structure, I invite anyone who hasn't voiced their opinion to do so on the related wiki page [1]. As always, any decision in this regard can still be amended if anyone brings up any issue. I suspect we will need to make some adjustments once we gained a bit of experience with it.

[1] https://wiki.hyperledger.org/display/TF/Repository+Structure+Task+Force

On the TSC election, I'm personally fine with deciding not to close the remaining issues but Dave claims these are stopping the team from working on an election plan for this year so I think it deserves a minimum of discussion.

From:        "Middleton, Dan" <dan.middleton@...>
To:        "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Date:        02/05/2020 04:15 PM
Sent by:        tsc@...

gah… Feb 6 not 3…

you can see how behind I am this week :)

From: <tsc@...> on behalf of Dan Middleton <dan.middleton@...>
Date: Wednesday, February 5, 2020 at 9:11 AM
To: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Subject: [Hyperledger TSC] Feb 3 agenda

Hi,

I will probably miss the call Feb 3.

I see that the repo structure is listed in the Decisions section. I think we want to get community feedback before voting on anything there.

Looking at the discussion topics, while I won’t be there, I would prefer we don’t spend more TSC time on election matters.

Regards,

Dan Middleton

Principal Engineer

Intel