Re: Chair and Vice Chairs for Projects

Arnaud Le Hors

> It would be better to call these "points of contact", as to not confuse it with a decision-making capability.
> Within some of the projects, we have a team of long-term maintainers for decision making, but no 'king of the project' position, intentionally.

While I agree with the sentiment regarding the proposal, having served as chair of standards working groups multiple times, I must say that I don't see chairs as having the type of power that is implied here. If anything I see chairs as people willing to make an effort to represent the whole group and being constrained to a level of neutrality that is not expected of others. Quite the opposite of a king of any sorts.

From:        "Shawn Amundson" <amundson@...>
To:        "Dan O'Prey" <dan@...>
Cc:        Silona Bonewald <sbonewald@...>, Hyperledger List <tsc@...>
Date:        06/18/2019 01:47 PM
Subject:        [EXTERNAL] Re: [Hyperledger TSC] Chair and Vice Chairs for Projects
Sent by:        tsc@...

It would be better to call these "points of contact", as to not confuse it with a decision-making capability. Within some of the projects, we have a team of long-term maintainers for decision making, but no 'king of the project' position, intentionally. The points of contact should probably not have a primary if there are only two.

The maintainers lists, similarly, are governed by specific rules within the project. We are currently in the process of updating these for Sawtooth and it will require a fair bit of maintainer voting.

For the TSC updates, we've been trying to rotate that around the community a bit so that it's not always the same person representing the project.

For the MC, I think the TSC should appoint maintainers to the MC to participate as advisors directly, with the intent of wide project coverage.

-Shawn

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 1:57 AM Dan O'Prey via Lists.Hyperledger.Org<dan=digitalasset.com@...> wrote:
Unofficial +1, this would be very helpful from the marketing side too

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019, 06:14 Silona Bonewald <sbonewald@...> wrote:
I would like all projects to either elect or have the TSC nominate Chairs and Vice Chairs.  The Chairs would serve more of a project manager role within the project's community.

The CA team is seeing that larger projects that have many diverse repos and having Maintainers be responsible doesn't scale.  There is often confusion on who to speak with.
The CA team believes we need this type of role to help us scale to support more projects for the community.

The Chair's responsibilities would be:
  • Writing and giving Quarterly Updates to the TSC, and attending TSC calls, especially when presenting the Update.
  • Be the primary interface with the Hyperledger staff in regards to informing the project participants and contributors about ongoing Hyperledger activities, commitments, and cross-project initiatives
  • Keeping the list of active maintainers current.
We would like Vice Chairs to be available for when Chairs are not available esp on the larger projects.

We can scale this out gradually and not require every project to do this at first but we would like a deadline perhaps in 3 months time?  We would also like this to be a part of the project proposal process at the beginning.

This would require a vote of the TSC.

Discussion?

Thank you,
Silona

--

Silona Bonewald
VP of Community Architecture, Hyperledger

This message, and any attachments, is for the intended recipient(s) only, may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or proprietary and subject to important terms and conditions available at
http://www.digitalasset.com/emaildisclaimer.html. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message.