Re: Hyperledger taxonomy and revised greenhouse graphic for review

Brian Behlendorf

Based on a bunch of conversations, we intentionally avoided structuring this like an architecture diagram, or drawing dependencies between projects.  We have no global architecture across all projects (yet); there are a lot of ways that incorrect assumptions could be arrived at if the graphic were attempting to infer architecture; it could inadvertently conceptually lock in things that are intended to be temporary situations, such as Grid only running on Sawtooth; and drawing lines to make such things more accurate could make it very busy.

One thing we looked at was the Cloud Native Trail Map:

It's obviously very different, and larger than what could easily be fit into a single slide or top fold of a web site (perhaps we ditch those requirements), and more "wordy", but by being more wordy it acts as a really good guide to someone diving into the full CNCF community.

Separately a map of dependencies and the like across all HL projects could be very interesting as a separate exercise.  It would have to be something the projects and TSC, or one of its WG's, perhaps architecture, committed to keeping up to date.

Brian

On 6/12/19 8:58 AM, hmontgomery@... wrote:

Personally, I would love to see a graph-like structure with edges between layers indicating compatibilities or dependencies.  But then again, I’m not a marketing expert.  Can anyone from the marketing committee comment on some of the ideas here?  Would that be too “busy?”

From: <tsc@...> on behalf of Dave Cecchi <david_cecchi@...>
Date: Wednesday, June 12, 2019 at 8:17 AM
To: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>

My two cents is only that - especially with Transact starting to drive more "unification" - it may be worth reconsidering the visual to be more representative of the "stack".  This is really a catalog, but even a mildly technical audience wants to know "how do these things work together (if at all)".  With blockchain platforms / frameworks at the top and everything else smallboxed as siblings underneath, the mental model the picture presents doesn't necessarily drive to solutions/capabilities.  Maybe that's deliberate, though?  Again, just my 2 cents.

-dc