Re: Hyperledger project naming guidelines - draft for discussion

Brian Behlendorf

Thanks Shawn for your comments.  Look for changes that reflect them soon.

Arnaud, the existence of an "Apache Aries" wasn't really a big deal, there were other concerns around names of projects this year I'd rather not resurface now.  Coming up with a clearer set of best practices and a process seemed to be what people we talked to felt would be the most constructive way to avoid churn and angst in the future.

Brian

says the guy who just wrote:

> you should add something like "Google your potential project name with the terms 'Open Source'" to see if it is already taken"

 ;-)

Joke aside, I actually agree with Shawn and thought the same when I saw it. I think we ought to be neutral on this sort of thing and only mention possible tools as examples to help those who may not know any.

The whole Aries situation is totally news to me and rather baffling. Biran, is that what actually motivated this whole thing to start with?

From:        "Shawn Amundson" <amundson@...>
To:        Brian Behlendorf <bbehlendorf@...>
Cc:        "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Date:        06/06/2019 03:50 PM
Subject:        [EXTERNAL] Re: [Hyperledger TSC] Hyperledger project naming guidelines - draft for discussion
Sent by:        tsc@...

Brian,

A good start! If these are meant to be policies,they should probably be written up with more explanation and guidance.  Maybe the prose could include references to external sources that provide more in-depth discussion of the topics being covered. T

The implication of your email is that teams have not been doing the very basic things listed, and I think the opposite is probably true -- that teams have put a lot of time and effort into the names. Still, these are good things to have clearly articulated.

In the "New Project Naming Process", you should add something like "Google your potential project name with the terms 'Open Source'" to see if it is already taken". This seems in-line with the rest of the items listed, and is a better approach than the tools mentioned. This would have helped identify Apache Aries as a conflict with Hyperledger Aries (or maybe it was known already, but some of us found it surprising).

In the "New Project Branding Considerations", we should have something in there the logo not overlapping with existing projects. It seems very odd that Aries and Ursa share a theme, and that Hyperledger Aries and Apache Aries essentially have the same logo (a ram).

During the logo discussions, there is a form that we help fill out - that could probably be included in one of these documents as a way to help make some of the list items more concrete. (Ali has the doc - the questions seem pretty well thought out.)

In the "New Project Naming Process" - HL shouldn't dictate via TSC policy a requirement to sign up for survey monkey. There are a lot of ways to do it without mandating a particular commercial service.

Who are the current members of the MC?

-Shawn

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 12:57 AM Brian Behlendorf <bbehlendorf@...> wrote:

We have seen a small handful of projects join Hyperledger in recent
months, and it's likely we'll see a similar number if not more apply
through the rest of this year.  Naming has at times been an issue for
submissions.  While it's important that the developers behind a proposal
set the name for their project, the Hyperledger Marketing Committee and
some of the LF staff put together a set of guidelines and
recommendations for new project names and a process for the proposers,
TSC, and HL/MC to use to arrive at a name.

The result is two new draft articles for your review in the Community
Tools section of the Wiki.

The first is a step-by-step process found under the how-to articles:

https://wiki.hyperledger.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=13863190

The second provides our branding considerations, common pitfalls to
avoid, and questions to help guide the evaluation process, found under
"Best Practices":

https://wiki.hyperledger.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=13863192

We are open to taking your comments on tomorrow's TSC call, and ideally
we can iterate it based on feedback and get the TSC's approval at an
upcoming call. We are asking the same of the Marketing Committee on our
monthly call this upcoming Tuesday, with the goal of closing in on
approvals in the next two weeks.