Re: Proposal: adopt the Kubernetes GitHub/Community management workflow

Shawn Amundson

I'm willing to help with this, in particular working on the section on how we manage repo admins. Here's a first cut:

github Repository Admin Privileges
----------------------------------

Github "repo admin" permissions will be delegated to a limited number of
maintainers if the project maintainers desire. However, project maintainers
must adhere to the following:

- Act in a responsible and collaborative manner.
- Do not intentionally violate any policy which has been approved by the TSC.
  For example, if the TSC approved a policy which explicitly stated that GitHub
  issues or the GitHub wiki should not be enabled, then they must not be
  enabled.
- Specifically, make sure the DCO policy is not subverted. It is the project
  maintainer's responsibility to help enforce the DCO policy that commits
  have the proper sign-offs.

The Hyperledger community architects will maintain a single page on the wiki
which lists all of the relevant policies which have been adopted by the TSC
for reference by the project maintainers.

Project maintainers will be granted this permission if the following is true:

- For projects with formal governance rules, those rules should be used to
  designate individuals to have this permission.  For other projects, agreement
  amongst the project maintainers (as defined by who has writer permission on
  the repository) can be used to designate individuals.  Projects are not
  required to designate anyone.
- The individual must be active within Hyperledger for a minimum of a year
  prior to being designated.
- The individual must demonstrate a working knowledge of the related
  Hyperledger policies. This may involve training or mentorship by the
  Hyperledger community architects or other maintainers.

A project may designate a maximum of three individuals at a time.

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 9:14 AM Arnaud Le Hors <lehors@...> wrote:
Hi Ry,

I share Shawn's uncertainty expressed earlier about what exactly from the Kubernetes management workflow you are proposing we adopt. Is it primarily the automagic management of the repos?

Could you please put on the wiki an actual proposal that we could read and vote on? I'm sorry for the extra work but I just don't see how we can fully understand what's proposed otherwise. Hopefully, it's just a matter of copy/pasting the right sections from the kubernetes pages.

From:        "Shawn Amundson" <amundson@...>
To:        Ry Jones <rjones@...>
Cc:        TSC <tsc@...>
Date:        06/04/2019 03:42 AM
Subject:        Re: [Hyperledger TSC] Proposal: adopt the Kubernetes GitHub/Community management workflow
Sent by:        tsc@...

Regardless of whether we use prow, we still need repo admin role for a select few project maintainers.

The "Maintainer (beta)" role looks geared toward teams using github wiki and issues/projects -- not terribly interesting for HL.

-Shawn

On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 2:22 PM Ry Jones <rjones@...> wrote:
I have some interesting news: the Hyperledger orgs are in a couple of betas for GitHub,
one of which gives us a slightly broader set of user roles. The Maintain role, in particular,
looks helpful.

Many of the tasks in the Admin role would be handled by the proposed use of k8s/prow.

Ry
Chat@rjones