From: Rose Shuman <rose@...>
Date: Thursday, October 11, 2018
Subject: [public-sector-wg] Call THIS FRIDAY - FLEET Management on blockchain - UN
To: public-sector-wg@...

Dear all,

Thanks to everyone who joined our very engaging call with Iulian Circo from Proof of Impact. Encourage those who missed the call to have a listen or review the transcripts at the Public Sector Wiki Page.

We are looking forward to another innovative and breakthrough implementation, this Friday, October 12th - Calendar Link - with UN Development Programme Moldova sharing their experience putting the UN fleet on blockchain to co-manage resources. Time is 10am US Eastern Time. Add it to your calendar to find out your local time.

1. UN Moldova - Fleet Management via Blockchain

There has been so much deliberation recently about “blockchain” and its rapid spread, that it would have been tedious for the development sector to sit and observe on the side-line. In 2016, MiLab together with UNDP Moldova Country Office, questioned itself whether blockchain technology can help make a more efficient and user-friendly fleet management for local UN agencies and projects, making proper use of all the cars that UN staff uses to conduct its daily business.

Needless to say, existing informal systems, although dealing with a plain issue like booking a car or a driver, has pointed out sufficient pain points: personal calls, networking and unclear time needed to spend on schedule checking, causality affecting the fact that information isn’t accessible to all equally and data on transportation requests aren’t recorded and used as alternative data flows.

The UN fleet management system is tested via desktop and mobile applications, three major stages of a transportation requests being logged on blockchain: upon creation, acceptance and completion of every request initiated in the system. Although still in its piloting phase, this experiment aims to save time and reduce the hassle of booking a car, diminish transactional costs, enhance transparency and availability of data.

2. Group input - Questions for Panelists at Hyperledger Global Forum
We have two Public Sector themed panels presenting at the Global Forum in Basel this December. Let's develop a list of possible questions for discussion, so that we can be sure that the presentations reflect the knowledge and interests of our group. (This and #3 were on last call's agenda, but we went right up to time with the presentation, so have forwarded these agenda points.)

Hyperledger and the Global South
Countries around the world struggle with canker of patronage political culture, political party supporters are rewarded with contracts to build roads, schools, hospitals. In the vein of recouping 'expenses', these contractors cut costs. The result is a case of poorly constructed roads, inadequate facilities and the consequent deaths in hospitals, dysfunctional school systems and numerous road accidents. Global South is really pioneering in extended use of enterprise grade blockchain solutions in governmental processes to promote transparency and accountability. From integration of Brazilian banks to maximize identification of banknote exchange opportunities, to coffee trading in Africa there is no limit to Blockchain innovation. Metropolis as the World Association of Large Metropolis has 138 member metropolitan regions around 5 continents. Out of them 69 are already using the technology in 255 projects! Lets discuss how Global South utilizes Blockchain, strategic guidelines for the development of DLT applications to solve particular urban issues of citizenship and democracy, land and real estate markets, infrastructure and public services, exchanges of total values -financial and non financial-, governance and finance

Panel: Citizens and Blockchain
Blockchain brings an opportunity for improvement of efficiency, industry creation and allows the innovators to become global leaders in the space. But what are the challenges of governments implementing large scale blockchain projects for improved citizen relations? Attendees will gain insights into how public sector looks at decentralized identity and and the future of  distributed ledgers. We will hear about the main obstacles people in latin american countries usually have to surpass when trying to develop software using cutting-edge technologies as well as the benefits these communities have brought to marginalized sectors of the country. We will also have a unique opportunity to discuss the Smart Dubai initiative and it has been improving citizen stories to reach the goal of having everything on a blockchain by 2020. Can we create Citizens-as-a-Service? Saudi Arabia archives a National Census on a Permissionless Blockchain

3. Group Discussion - Hyperledger Composer to Fold into Fabric?
Waleed El Sayed from 4eyes has proposed a discussion on the following topic:
"IBM will not develop Hyperledger Composer any further. There will be something similar in the fabric core. When I asked someone of the composer Team about that, he told me
see the email https://lists.hyperledger.org/g/composer/message/125 - IBM is refactoring its approach - ie bringing all that was good in Composer, into Fabric native - so that there is less confusion on how to move forward with development. They will factor some of the Contract API / SDK changes (for Node JS initially) into Fabric 1.3, then in Fabric 1.4, the plan is to work on Java/Go enhancements - so that developers can them choose a different language to develop, but importantly, the same framework (which wasn't the case before)"

4. Other Topics + Wiki Updating
Discussion around keeping the wiki up to date, sharing resources, and any other Admin.

Time to have open conversation, as well as consider sharing your organisation's experience around considering, implementing, or scaling a Hyperledger based public sector project.

a) Working at any stage on a project and can discuss it
b) Considering Hyperledger, but have questions, need clarification, or would appreciate advice,
c) Willing to present on a Hyperledger Tool or Framework for the group

Please be in touch at anytime if there is something you would like to add to the agenda.

Thanks and see you all soon!
Rose

Call in details:

Topic: Hyperledger Public Sector WG
Repeats every 2 weeks (recommended that you put this in your calendar, and set it to repeat every 2 weeks). Time is 10am Eastern Time USA. Recommend you input the time in your calendar as 10am eastern time, rather than convert to your own time zone. This is because the US switches from Daylight to Standard time in the Fall. When that happens, it will change your call time by an hour if you are located outside of the US. Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/my/hyperledger.community Or iPhone one-tap : US: +16465588656,,4034983298# or +16699006833,,4034983298# Or Telephone: Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location): US: +1 646 558 8656 or +1 669 900 6833 or +1 855 880 1246 (Toll Free) or +1 877 369 0926 (Toll Free) Meeting ID: 403 498 3298 International numbers available: https://zoom.us/u/bAaJoyznp

If you received this message as a forward and would like to join the Public Sector Working Group Mailing List, sign up at this link: public-sector-wg

Rose Shuman
Founding Partner
BrightFront Group  New York

Tel: +1-646-875-8285