Topics

Form a Hyperledger team at SDG Hackathon!

Karen Ottoni

Dear SI-SIG Community,

There is an SDG Hackathon coming up in September and they're looking for participants. It would be great to have a Hyperledger team there! James, our NYC Hyperledger Meetup organizer copied above is down to form a Hyperledger team so if anyone is interested please connect with him and apply below. Or apply individually and indicate your preferences.

They are also looking for mentors too so that is another way to participate.

Scaling Impact for the SDGs Hackathon, a 2-day in-person hackathon geared toward real, sustainable outcomes.
Who: Blockchain Developers, Sponsors, and Mentors
When:
September 20th from 5-7pm – Special Education Session
September 21st- 22nd – Hackathon
Where: NYC Blockchain Center (54 W 21st Street, Suite 1001, 10th Floor)
What: Developers and entrepreneurs will work to solve three challenges framed by the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) – focused primarily on:
  • Goal 6: Clean Water & Sanitation
  • Goal 10: Reduced Inequalities
  • Goal 11: Sustainable Cities & Communities
  • Hackathon teams will be limited to a minimum of 3 participants and maximum of 4; gender diversity is strongly encouraged.
  • Hackathon teams must include a minimum of one developer and one individual focused on strategy or business.
  • All team members must be present for the 2-day in-person hackathon.
  • Developers are encouraged to apply both individually and as a team. If you don’t have a team and are selected to participate, we will match you with a team.
  • Mentors should either have a solid technical background and experience building on/using one of the aforementioned blockchains OR extensive international development and/or strategy experience.
  • Mentors will advise teams before and during the hackathon.
  • Mentors are expected to attend the hackathon in-person.
  • Please note that there are limited spots available for mentors.

About the UN Sustainable Development Goals:
 “The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, adopted by all United Nations Member States in 2015, provides a shared blueprint for peace and prosperity for people and the planet, now and into the future. At its heart are the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which are an urgent call for action by all countries - developed and developing - in a global partnership. They recognize that ending poverty and other deprivations must go hand-in-hand with strategies that improve health and education, reduce inequality, and spur economic growth – all while tackling climate change and working to preserve our oceans and forests.”  (Source: https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/sdgs)

Karen L. Ottoni

Director of Ecosystem, Hyperledger
hosted by The Linux Foundation

Ultimo

Hi Karen,

Thanks for having me in the SIG group.

Is it much to ask, maybe to point me to a link to see the results of your Hackathon.
I would like to participate in your SDG work with Blockchain.

Thanks in advance.

Ultimo

Nancy Min

Hi Ultimo,

Thanks for reaching out to the SIG mailing list. Karen is presently out on maternity leave.

I am including Lindsay Nuon, she participated in the SDG Hackathon and may be able to share additional information. In regards to participating in SDG work, we discuss upcoming community activities in our bi-weekly meetings so please be on the look-out for new events and hackathons. If there is ever an event that you are interested in participating in, please let us know.

Thanks,

Nancy Min

Is it much to ask, maybe to point me to a link to see the results of your Hackathon.
I would like to participate in your SDG work with Blockchain.

Thanks in advance.

Ultimo

Ultimo

Thanks. Looking forward to see the Hackathon details.

Kind regards

Ultimo