Topics

Agenda for mtg Tuesday 11/26 @ 10am EST

Nancy Min

Dear SI-SIG Community,

Meeting Agenda

This week, we have Virginia Cram-Martos, presenting on how blockchain can support implementation of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). A brief introduction to her presentation is attached.

You can find the agenda for our next meeting: https://wiki.hyperledger.org/display/SISIG/2019-11-26+Meeting+notes

If there is a meeting topic you would like to discuss, please feel free to include in our meeting agenda.

We have openings in December and January for presentations. Reach out if you'd like to share what you're working on or add yourself to the list

The key info for our group is below, including the call time and zoom, and how to add the meeting to your calendar.​

Talk soon,

Nancy Min

Chat room: https://chat.hyperledger.org/channel/social-impact-sig

Wiki: https://wiki.hyperledger.org/display/SISIG/Social+Impact+SIG (how to set up LFID https://wiki.hyperledger.org/display/tools/Setting+up+an+LFID)

Call Details:

Biweekly Tuesdays 10am EST/2pm GMT

Join Zoom Meeting: https://zoom.us/j/6223336701

One tap mobile

+16699006833,,6223336701# US (San Jose)

+16465588656,,6223336701# US (New York)

Dial by your location

        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)

        +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)

        +1 877 369 0926 US Toll-free

        +1 855 880 1246 US Toll-free

Meeting ID: 622 333 6701

Find your local number:
https://zoom.us/u/bFAkRFwOg

Here is how you can get the calendar invite added to your personal calendar:

1. Visit the Hyperledger Calendar of Public Meetings

2. Find the next Social Impact SIG meeting, click on it and you'll see a link "copy to my calendar", click on that link and it will open a separate window or download the invite. If you have any questions, let me know.

Tafadzwa DuToit Nyamande

Hello good people. My name is Tafadzwa Dutoit Nyamande and I am the Head of Industrial Hemp Business Development for Zimbabwe Industrial Hemp Trust(ZIHT). ZIHT is the leading organisation steering the development of the hemp industry in Zimbabwe. From 2 years ago we were involved in the lobbying with the government for the recognition/legalisation of hemp agriculture. In August this year, the government released the statutory instrument recognising hemp as agricultural commodity. ZIHT hold holds the first cannabis research licence and in October we planted the first hemp pilot project in Zimbabwe.

Early this year I enrolled for an MOOC hosted by The World Bank Open Learning Campus, Unlocking Investment and Finance in Emerging Markets and Developing Economies. Despite my finance background, this course introduced me to social impact principles and paved a path for me to enroll in the Blockchain for Business Professional Certificate that ultimately landed me here.

I believe hemp carries profound social impact opportunities for Zimbabwe as a poor country in dire need for economic and social development. I seek an opportunity to engage with the Hyperledger community to develop solutions in the following areas:
1. Setting up a diaspora equity investment fund to get Zimbabweans in the diaspora community to be directly and actively involved as part of a blended finance strategy. The diaspora constitutes the largest source of foreign currency contributions to the economy yet has limited opportunities/trust to invest in developing the country.
2. Bringing together a consortium of global companies in the hemp industry that will benefit in the downstream and upstream opportunities from 'seed-to-sale'. Involvement will include, particularly but not limited to, players in hemp bioplastics, hemp biodiesel/renewable energy, hemp for paper industries, building with hemp/lime mixture aka hempcrete as well as hemp fiber for textiles. We will consider PPP arrangements as well as other innovative solutions.
3. The involvement of small holder farmers in hemp farming, SMEs in supply chain, provenance tracking and identity management.
4. Using DLTs and perhaps cryptocurrencies combined with available tools from World Bank and other development finance institutions to hedge against political and currency risk.
5. The development of rural communities and rural growth point into satellite economic hubs perhaps leading into the formation of a smart city/economic zone on the backdrop of a hemp circular economy.

Zimbabwe has significant low production cost and climate advantages to allow 3 or 4 harvests a year. I envision impact in millions of people's lives and a true revival of a trouble yet naturally well resourced economy. Hemp is a fast growing  plant with can grow in many regions of the country way more sustainably than, cotton, tobacco or even trees. Most Zimbabweans own productive land owing to the infamous land resettlement program as well as traditional farmlands.

I look forward to engaging with the Hyperledger social impact SIG. I have made this my life task and I am prepared to be on the ground working with experts in their different fields in perhaps the most ambitious project of our generation, developing new industries from scratch as well as reviving old one but in a sustainable direction.

One love and kind regards

Tafadzwa Dutoit Nyamande.

Sent using Zoho Mail

---- On Mon, 25 Nov 2019 17:09:40 +0200 Nancym@... wrote ----

[...]

Welcome Tafadzwa! We will have our next SIG meeting tomorrow at 10am EST. Hope you can join.

All the best,

Nancy Min

ecoLong

Tel/Direct: +1 518 703 6088

www.ecolongllc.com

[...]

Jim Cupples

Hi Tafadzwa,

Our team is developing a blockchain application for hemp seeds that will consolidate information from the hemp seed grower, as well as the certifying agency.

I am very curious as to the similarities and differences for this work in our country and yours. Your interest in facilitating growing hemp to help farmers and the environment is admirable. Thank you for your work.

Would you be available for a videochat on Wednesday at 4pm GMT (8am PST where I am, and I believe 6pm CAT, where you are)?

I will be on tomorrow morning's call, and hope that you can make it.

Looking forward to hearing back, and thanks!

Best,

Jim

Jim Cupples
CEO/Cofounder - allthefarms.com
(541) 999-0997 mobile

On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 7:20 AM Tafadzwa DuToit Nyamande via Lists.Hyperledger.Org <tafgong=zoho.com@...> wrote:

[...]

Reminder to call in at 10am EST (or in 5 minutes) for our biweekly SIG meeting!

Talk soon,
Nancy