Date

The Hyperledger Sawtooth Application Developers Forum for Tuesday, May 8th from 9-10am CDT

Mark Ford

Tommorrow is another installment of the "The Hyperledger Sawtooth Application Developers Forum". This was established to provide opportunities to discuss technical application development questions with developers experienced with Hyperledger Sawtooth. The forums are twice weekly Tuesdays and Fridays from 9 to 10am CDT.

The meetings are set-up on the Hyperledger Community Meetings calendar and a link to this meeting are provided below:
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/968432320

Or iPhone one-tap :
US: +16699006833,,968432320# or +14087403766,,968432320#
Or Telephone:
US: +1 669 900 6833 or +1 408 740 3766 or +1 646 876 9923
Meeting ID: 968 432 320
International numbers available: https://zoom.us/u/hgggm5e

Hyperledger Sawtooth Technical Forum on Thursday, May 10th at 10am CDT

Mark Ford

Please join the Hyperledger Sawtooth Technical Forum on Thursday, May 10th at 10am CDT for the following discussion:

Private Data Object – Off-chain privacy solution for Sawtooth (Yevgeniy Yarmosh)

Hope everyone can call in and join us!

Meeting connection information is below:
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/my/hyperledger.community

Or iPhone one-tap :
    US: +16465588656,,4034983298#  or +16699006833,,4034983298#
Or Telephone:
        US: +1 646 558 8656  or +1 669 900 6833  or +1 855 880 1246 (Toll Free) or +1 877 369 0926 (Toll Free)
    Meeting ID: 403 498 3298
    International numbers available: https://zoom.us/u/bAaJoyznp

Re: Sawtooth Python SDK

Boyd Johnson <bjohnson@...>

Hi Krithika,
I see you are using Python 3.6. Sawtooth_sdk is tested against Python 3.5. Try pip installing using Python 3.5 on Windows.

Thanks,
Boyd

Re: point to point - node to node communication

Brian Behlendorf <bbehlendorf@...>

I think Mohammad's point is still valid with any DLT (these terms being as ill-defined as they are) - the point is to coherently consense and synchronize data across a network, usually the entire network.

But for most applications, you will have a mix of data that needs to be distributed everywhere to ensure a globally consistent world state, other data only to be shared between two specific parties to a transaction, and sometimes an in-between need where you want to share information with a subset of the full network.  The "only share with certain parties" situation can be handled by encrypting it and writing to the DLT, but for regulatory reasons you might not want to or be able to distribute even the encrypted version to the full network, nor even inform them of its existence.  Plus, the size of this private data may be so large you don't want everyone to be burdened with storing it.

So, inevitably you need either ways to subset the network (channels, as found in Fabric, Lightning Network, and probably other systems) and off-chain interfaces to shared or distributed storage, (like IPFS or even a service like S3).  The question for the Sawtooth team is whether they want to provide those kinds of alternative modes of data management as Sawtooth interfaces so app developers have a uniform API that runs this spectrum of needs, perhaps even using the DLT to help keep things verifiable and synchronized, or decide instead to leave it to app devs to implement ad-hoc.

My humble opinion,

Brian

On 05/06/2018 10:26 PM, Mahesh Govind wrote:
The case is , I need  a DLT , may not need  a blockchain from my experience in deploying fabric in live network .
Channels are a mess in most cases .

On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 10:33 AM, Mohammad Ghasletwala <mohammad.ghasletwala@...> wrote:

Hello Mahesh,

The basic premise of any Blockchain network is distributed ledger. If your business case does not approve of distributed ledger then you may reconsider Blockchain itself.

Sawtooth is a proper DLT with Consensus so all the nodes in the network participate in consensus, validate blocks, etc.

Unless you are creating a public network using Sawtooth, all the validators are authorized nodes with proper identity.

You may want to evaluate usage of Hyperledger Fabric where you can control participants via Channels. Seems you are already evaluating Corda (but remember Corda is not Blockchain framework)

Regards,

Mohammad Ghasletwala | Tech. Soln. Arch. | Blockchain COE Lead

mohammad.ghasletwala@nttdata.com | o. +91 206.709.5600

NTT DATA Services | nttdataservices.com | @nttdataservices

Consulting | Industry Solutions | Digital | Cloud | Application, Infrastructure & BPO Services

NTT DATA Global Delivery Services Pvt. Ltd.

Disclaimer: This email and any attachments are sent in strictest confidence for the sole use of the addressee and may contain legally privileged,confidential, and proprietary data. If you are not the intended recipient,please advise the sender by replying promptly to this email and then delete and destroy this email and any attachments without any further use, copying or forwarding.

Re: point to point - node to node communication

Mahesh Govind <mahesh@...>

mohammad.ghasletwala@... | o. +91 206.709.5600

NTT DATA Services | nttdataservices.com | @nttdataservices

Consulting | Industry Solutions | Digital | Cloud | Application, Infrastructure & BPO Services

NTT DATA Global Delivery Services Pvt. Ltd.

Disclaimer: This email and any attachments are sent in strictest confidence for the sole use of the addressee and may contain legally privileged,confidential, and proprietary data. If you are not the intended recipient,please advise the sender by replying promptly to this email and then delete and destroy this email and any attachments without any further use, copying or forwarding.

Re: Benefits of running Hyperledger Sawtooth on Microsoft Coco

Holger Abel

Thank you Marco!  This helps.

Re: Benefits of running Hyperledger Sawtooth on Microsoft Coco

Marco Carvalho <marcosoul@...>

That has yet to be communicated by Microsoft and currently there is no information. They mentioned a public release is to be expected for the first half of 2018 yet so far nothing. It also looks like Microsoft is making a blanket statement for both Ethereum and Sawtooth meanwhile the performance benefits and private blockchain functionality is already inherent in Sawtooth. My hunch is that Microsoft is going to somehow tie Azure into all this. I'm glad to see Microsoft getting involved. It can only benefit us all.

On Sat, May 5, 2018 at 11:21 PM Holger Abel <holger.abel@...> wrote:
Hi Sawtooth Community,

I was recently exposed to Microsoft Coco via this video and white paper.  The functionality and performance it adds to a public blockchain technology like Ethereum is intuitive, but not so much when talking about Hyperledger Sawtooth, at least from the scalability perspective as well as the use of Intel SGX, which were designed up front in Sawtooth.  But it is clear from the white paper that the integration between Coco and Sawtooth is already happening or will happen in the future.

Can anyone help describe in more detail the added features that the integration of Sawtooth and Coco provides?  If there is some document or blog on this, I would appreciate it also.

Thank you as always.

Re: point to point - node to node communication

Mahesh Govind <mahesh@...>

Thank you
I would like to achieve the point to point communication style of  CORDA networks . I am thinking from the point of view of application developer . But regulatory requirements tell not to share data with  non authorized participant nodes .
But these nodes may be the part of a network .

Please let me know your expert thoughts .

On Sun, May 6, 2018 at 10:36 AM, Shawn Amundson <amundson@...> wrote:
On Sat, May 5, 2018 at 10:35 PM, Mahesh Govind <mahesh@...> wrote:
Hi ,
Could we achieve , point to point node to node communication with sawtooth (Since sawtooth is using message queue for node to node communication https://sawtooth.hyperledger.org/docs/core/nightly/master/architecture/validator_network.html#wire-protocol ).

It depends what you are attempting to achieve. If you are trying to do this as an application developer, there may be better patterns.

-Shawn

Re: point to point - node to node communication

Shawn Amundson

[...]

with thanks and regards
mahesh

Benefits of running Hyperledger Sawtooth on Microsoft Coco

Holger Abel

Hi Sawtooth Community,

I was recently exposed to Microsoft Coco via this video and white paper.  The functionality and performance it adds to a public blockchain technology like Ethereum is intuitive, but not so much when talking about Hyperledger Sawtooth, at least from the scalability perspective as well as the use of Intel SGX, which were designed up front in Sawtooth.  But it is clear from the white paper that the integration between Coco and Sawtooth is already happening or will happen in the future.

Can anyone help describe in more detail the added features that the integration of Sawtooth and Coco provides?  If there is some document or blog on this, I would appreciate it also.

Thank you as always.

Debug Custom Transaction Processor

daniel.cooper@...

I am currently working on a PoC using Sawtooth with a Golang Transaction Processor (TP), which is not much different to the example XO handler. I have successfully got the TP running locally to the Sawtooth components, and sending batch lists from a separate cli tool, but transactions are not currently being received by the TP. Currently the apply method in my handler is not being hit and does not receive any of my transactions.

I can see from the validator logs that when the TP starts it is registered for the correct family, and the REST API logs my incoming transactions as being successfully sent to the validator, but the response I get from the REST API does not include an id (shown below), and I cannot find any logs that state that there is something wrong with my batchlist or it's children.

{
  "link": "http://myhost:8008/batch_statuses?id"
}

Can anyone help me understand how I might find out where my transaction may be breaking?

Are there more logs than what i am currently looking at (/var/log/sawtooth/rest_api-*.log, /var/log/sawtooth/validator-*.log)?

Re: Hyperledger Sawtooth 1.0.4 Released

Rao Dronamraju <rao.dronamraju@...>

Thanks Shawn!