Topics

Quilt status

Middleton, Dan

Quilt maintainers,

The Technical Steering Committee has recently adopted clarifications to the project pipeline. One of these is understanding when a project is moving to Deprecated and End of Life statuses. Incubated and Active Projects will become Deprecated and then End of Life when they have requested to move or when they have not had significant activities for 6 months.

There are two objective measures of activity: updates to the TSC and releases; and one subjective criteria: significant code enhancements.

On these measures Quilt appears to be moving towards Deprecated status. If the maintainers disagree with this assessment we ask that they prepare a project update communicating this to the TSC. Updates can be created using the link here: https://wiki.hyperledger.org/display/HYP/TSC+Project+Updates

There was potentially a point of confusion earlier this year when Hyperledger staff investigated a “reboot” that would incorporate other interoperability code bases into Quilt. That concept did not proceed.

https://lists.hyperledger.org/g/tsc/topic/32153910#2390

Please assess Quilt's project health based on its existing charter.

Regards,

Dan Middleton

Chair, Hyperledger Technical Steering Committee

David Fuelling

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your email - really appreciate the update (I was aware of Brian's initial email to the TSC re: the reboot, but wasn't aware of the continued discussion that you linked to in the TSC mailing list around the reboot, so I'm happy to get some clarity on the project one way or the other).

I'm not sure if it's too late for the project, but I am now able to allocate more time to Quilt, and would like to try to revitalize the project, keeping its existing charter and focus on ILP Java software. To that end, I have created an update to the TSC here. Hopefully this report gives you and the TSC some more confidence in the future of Quilt, although I realize this is a bit late in coming, so am happy to discuss things if you or the TSC feels like the project should still move toward deprecation.

Thanks,
david

David Fuelling

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 4:03 PM Middleton, Dan <dan.middleton@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi David,

Thanks for the quick reply and update.

If you can make it to one of the upcoming TSC meetings (Thursdays 1400 UTC) …

https://wiki.hyperledger.org/display/HYP/Calendar+of+Public+Meetings

… I think that together with the written update would allay any concerns.

Projects typically give the written update quarterly (you should see reminders on the mail list) and pop into the TSC meeting for any verbal Q&A. It’s a bidirectional conversation so you can also get answers to the questions you raised in your update.

Let me know if you can make this week or next week and I will make sure you are on the agenda.

Thanks,

Dan

From: David Fuelling <sappenin@...>
Date: Monday, August 12, 2019 at 6:41 PM
To: Dan Middleton <dan.middleton@...>
Cc: "quilt@..." <quilt@...>
Subject: Re: [Hyperledger Quilt] Quilt status

[...]

Hey Dan,

That sounds great - I'll join the TSC call tomorrow and plan on giving a brief summary of Quilt status, and how I see it progressing.

Thanks,
david

From: David Fuelling <sappenin@...>
Date: Monday, August 12, 2019 at 6:41 PM

[...]