Date

Cancelled Event: Performance and Scalability Working Group - Tuesday, 20 October 2020 #cal-cancelled

perf-and-scale-wg@lists.hyperledger.org Calendar <noreply@...>

Cancelled: Performance and Scalability Working Group

This event has been cancelled.

When:
Tuesday, 20 October 2020
9:00am to 10:00am
(UTC-04:00) America/New York

Where:
https://zoom.us/j/99510063016?pwd=aXNvdm10NDd3dlRmMzY3WU5wSVp5Zz09

Organizer: Mark Wagner mwagner@...

Contact: Mark Wagner (mwagner at redhat.com)

Topic: Hyperledger Performance and Scalability Working Group

Time: Sep 22, 2020 10:00 AM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Every 2 weeks on Tue, until Aug 9, 2022, 50 occurrence(s)
Weekly: https://zoom.us/meeting/tJ0odumoqDgqG9LlH_0O5Faaj-_9NSL-9VDt/ics?icsToken=98tyKuChqzoqGtKWsBiBRox5GYj4c_TwpnZfjfpxkDfaUw8GRAL3PK99a5xMPJWJ

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/99510063016?pwd=aXNvdm10NDd3dlRmMzY3WU5wSVp5Zz09

Meeting ID: 995 1006 3016
Passcode: 244020
One tap mobile
+12532158782,,99510063016# US (Tacoma)
+13462487799,,99510063016# US (Houston)

Meeting ID: 995 1006 3016
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/aepAwSPOeu

No PSWG call 20 - Oct 2020

mark wagner

--
Mark Wagner
Senior Principal Software Engineer

Re: Agenda Meeting Tues Oct 6, 2020

Colin Glass

Hi Vipin,

thank you for your e-mail, much appreciated. Very happy to continue our conversation.
Answers are in-line.

Best regards,
Colin

On 8. Oct 2020, at 18:57, VIPIN BHARATHAN <vip@...> wrote:

Hi Peter/Colin and Marius,

Thanks for a great presentation.
Want to continue this conversation about the benefits and techniques of simulation.

I had specifically asked about the feedback loop control in simulation to prevent runaway negative or positive feed. I do not know how you enforce the error function and if there is a damping mechanism. I am sure I am misunderstanding something here.
I think the key here is, that the there is a loop, but there is no feed-back in the control theory sense. Thus, there are also no stability issues as you would have with a feed-back loop. Basically, the application logic always progresses as far as possible, spawning a graph of events. These events are scheduled on the hardware models, resulting in a chronological ordering. Application logic that depends on the chronological order of events get triggered once this order has been established. This will allow the application logic to progress further and spawn new events.

Another was whether there was a possibility to simulate Fabric in its other variations; like Fast fabric or what the XilinX guys had demonstrated by moving some components, especially the cryptography to GPUs; another variant is the use of in memory or faster DBs like BerkeleyDB for the ledger/world state by Oracle and the Accelerator approach, by batching certain transactions together on the edge. A combination of these orthogonal methods could yield considerable speed.
Yes, we can adapt the functionality of the implementation to behave according to different specifications. E.g. fast fabric for instance strips out transactional details and signatures during the ordering process. This we can easily do as well. Also, we can adapt delays of crytographic primitives in accordance with performance specifications. However, if different hardware is used (such as a GPU or FPGA), we need to model that. Modelling DBs is still work in progress for us. Our current idea is to model delays in terms of an abstract representation of accesses (data agnostic). Clearly, this has limitations if delays depend strongly on the content of transactions (i.e. delays are not strongly correlated to the abstract representation). In terms of this model, different types of DBs are feasible and essentially require different parameterisations of the model. Also, as long as the accessed data reside in memory, we expect the cost of these accesses to be negligible (assuming no heavy computation is involved).

Is there an open technical paper about your approach? I think this will go a long way toward publicizing your techniques and your firm.
Currently there is none. Maybe the best resources with regard to this is having a look at OMNeT++ (https://omnetpp.org) and INET (https://inet.omnetpp.org). We build our simulator on top of these.

As I mentioned, please have a look at the possibility of open-sourcing. You need not give away your crown jewels.
Thank you for providing insights with regard to this. We will need to consider it in detail.

I am working on processes & techniques needed for at scale deployment (not just PoCs and MVPs) and continued production support. I have written about chaos theory and blockchains in medium. I run the Capital markets SIG and had ExactPro talk about their testing work on Blockchains in Capital Markets settings. Simulation will be an interesting topic to some of the participants including Elena Treshcheva from ExactPro.
That is great to hear. We would be happy to engage in further conversation along these lines.

On a completely unrelated note, on the simulation of global networks. About the sliding windows throwing off your results, are you able to simulate windows scaling as in RFC 1323
Yes, we do this. This is done in INET, the library we use for the communication protocols.

Thanks again for the talk, it is greatly appreciated.
My pleasure! I’m glad you enjoyed it.

Vipin

Vipin Bharathan
Digital Transformation Consultant
Financial Services (Blockchain, ML, Design Thinking)