#patient-member-subgroup | #donormilk | draft summary of project for HMBANA #patient-member-subgroup #donormilk

Marissa Iannarone

Hi All,

We discussed on Friday getting a summary of our work on the donor milk PoC to Naomi so that she could share it with HMBANA leadership. Here is what I have so far. Let me know if you have any feedback as I will be sending this out tomorrow.

Who we are
We are a group of professionals from both the for profit and non profit sectors looking to explore the possibilities for new technologies to solved problems in the healthcare space. We operate as the Healthcare Working Group of Hyperledger, a multi-project open source collaborative effort hosted by The Linux Foundation. Hyperledger was created to advance cross-industry blockchain technologies. Blockchain is a nascent technology that allows consortium (of individuals or organizations) to establish a ground truth without an authority that makes the final determination.

Our objective
The human donor milk ecosystem is a great use case for exploring this new technology, blockchain, because there is a consortium of entities (donor banks, hospitals, distributors, etc.) that currently all need to work together in order to ensure that the donor milk arrives safely and in time for infants in need. We are working to bring in subject matter experts (SMEs) from all aspects of the ecosystem to ensure we understand the challenges in the ecosystem and how a technology solutions might be able to increase efficiencies and eliminate pain points. We are currently focused on addressing these issues in the ecosystem:
  1. Donor banks and NICUs do not have visibility into supply and demand across the donor milk ecosystem
  2. Hospitals do not have a way to easily ensure that all quality controls are being met for the donor milk
  3. Donor banks do not have a feedback mechanism from hospitals to help them understand the end consumers of their milk (the diagnosis, etc.)
  4. Even with the documented need for donations, and not enough women are participating in the ecosystem
Where we are in the process and looking forward
We continue to work to engage SMEs in order to ensure we have an understanding of how the ecosystem operates and what the needs are. We have started an initial build out of the technology solution, creating a network of all the participants in the ecosystem, but there is a lot of work to still be done. It is our hope that we can have HMBANA as a voice for non profit milk banks in our work moving forward and as a partner is testing our technology solution once it is available.

The work that we are doing goes beyond the donor milk ecosystem, as the foundation that we are laying with this collaboration could be used in a variety of different healthcare system contexts to ensure safe delivery of goods/services for people in need across the world.

If you would like to have a more in-depth conversation or more details about the work that we are doing, we are happy to accommodate.

Best,
Marissa

Marissa Iannarone
Associate with Forum Solutions LLC
phone number: +01 (360) 525 4961
email: mari.iannarone@...

Marissa Iannarone

Hi All,

Here is a second draft with feedback from Dr. Angela Courtney - mostly grammatical edits. Mikhail, would love your eye on this if you have time.

Who we are
We are a group of professionals from both the for-profit and non-profit sectors, exploring the possibilities of applying new technologies to solve problems in the healthcare space. We operate as the Healthcare Working Group of Hyperledger, a multi-project open source collaborative effort hosted by The Linux Foundation. Hyperledger was created to advance cross-industry blockchain technologies. Blockchain is a nascent technology that allows a consortium (of individuals or organizations) to establish a ground truth without an authority that makes the final determination.

Our objective
The human donor milk ecosystem is a great use case for exploring the application of blockchain technology, because there exists a consortium of entities (donor banks, hospitals, distributors, etc.) that currently all need to work together in order to ensure donor milk arrives safely and in time for infants in need. We are working to bring in subject matter experts (SMEs) from all aspects of the ecosystem to ensure we understand the challenges in the ecosystem and how technology solutions might be applied to increase efficiencies and eliminate pain points. We are currently focused on addressing the following issues identified in the current donor milk ecosystem:
  1. Donor banks and NICUs do not have visibility into supply and demand across the entire donor milk ecosystem
  2. Hospitals need to easily ensure that all specified quality controls are being met for the donor milk they accept
  3. Donor banks do not have a feedback mechanism from hospitals to help them understand the end consumers of their milk (the diagnosis, etc.)
  4. Even with the documented need for donations, not enough women are participating in the ecosystem
Where we are in the process and looking forward
We continue to work to engage SMEs in order to ensure we have an understanding of how the ecosystem operates and identifying the present needs. We have started an initial build out of the technology solution, creating a network of all the participants in the ecosystem, but there is a lot of work that remains to be done. It is our hope that we can have HMBANA as a voice for non-profit milk banks as we move forward and as a partner in testing our technology solution once it is available.

We envision our work going beyond the donor milk ecosystem. The foundation that we are laying with this collaboration could be used in a variety of different healthcare system contexts to ensure safe delivery of medical goods/services for people in need across the world.

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 7:25 AM Marissa Iannarone <mari.iannarone@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks, everyone! We got this sent off and I'll update in the next meeting any feedback received.

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 10:49 AM Marissa Iannarone <mari.iannarone@...> wrote:
[...]

Anton Ansalmar <anton@...>

Marissa,

Thank you for sending this and for the updates. Its amazing to know that this project is finally starting to make some strides, we should also try and get some press attention at some point? Maybe get some healthcare IT online forums to help spread the word? What do you guys think?

Anton

From: <healthcare-wg@...> on behalf of Marissa Iannarone <mari.iannarone@...>
Date: Tuesday, October 16, 2018 at 10:30 AM
To: healthcare-wg <healthcare-wg@...>, Mikhail Elias <hyperledger@...>
Cc: Benjamin Djidi <benjamin.djidi@...>, Anton Ansalmar <anton@...>, Ron Block <ron@...>
Subject: Re: [Hyperledger Healthcare WG] #patient-member-subgroup | #donormilk | draft summary of project for HMBANA

[...]

Hi Anton,

That is a really good question. I haven't given it much thought, but I will put it on the agenda for our next meeting to discuss on  the 26th. My initial thought is that we're early on for that, but at the same time if if helps bring SME expertise to the table, that might be great.

Cheers,

From: <healthcare-wg@...> on behalf of Marissa Iannarone <mari.iannarone@...>
Date: Tuesday, October 16, 2018 at 10:30 AM
To: healthcare-wg <healthcare-wg@...>, Mikhail Elias <hyperledger@...>
Cc: Benjamin Djidi <benjamin.djidi@...>, Anton Ansalmar <anton@...>, Ron Block <ron@...>

[...]

Mikhail Elias <mikhail@...>

I agree with Marissa -- too early.

My suggestion is we prepare a 3-5 year strategic and operational plan, with well-defined milestones for development and field-testing of an agreed upon set of POCs, possibly constituting a formally-defined research project portfolio that has academic institutional support and leads to peer-reviewed publications.

The plan should include a marketing and communications sub-plan tied to these developmental milestones - which would address preparation and dissemination of non-peer-reviewed whitepapers and other marketing content, as well as participation in industry events.

In the best case scenario, assuming we decide to adopt an infrastructure platform strategy, we may be able to attract an ecosystem of application or services developers willing to contribute towards open-source platform development. While this could theoretically accelerate development timelines, the critical bottlenecks will always involve readiness and preparation to adopt and implement these solutions.

The best strategy may involve developing a roadmap that aligns with efforts now getting underway by national, regional and local governments to prepare health system development plans as part of their commitment to the 2030 Agenda, especially since it appears virtually all combined public and private financing and investment is going to be based on this framework.

Aligning with the 2030 Agenda provides the added benefit of providing a well-defined set of fairly concrete target metrics for population health that can guide the selection, scoping and prioritizing of use cases and technical solutions.

We should also bear in mind that a major effort to modernize national statistical systems is also underway, and stakeholders are actively looking for reliable, trustworthy data infrastructure solutions. Healthcare will always be the best sector to lead such initiatives.

It may be worth exploring the idea of establishing a planning subgroup to work on these topics.

Mikhail

Associate with Forum Solutions LLC <http://www.forumsolutionsllc.com/>

*From: *<healthcare-wg@...> on behalf of Marissa
Iannarone <mari.iannarone@...>
*Date: *Tuesday, October 16, 2018 at 10:30 AM
*To: *healthcare-wg <healthcare-wg@...>, Mikhail Elias <
hyperledger@...>
*Cc: *Benjamin Djidi <benjamin.djidi@...>, Anton Ansalmar <
anton@...>, Ron Block <ron@...>
*Subject: *Re: [Hyperledger Healthcare WG] #patient-member-subgroup |

mari.iannarone@...> wrote:

Hi All,

Here is a second draft with feedback from Dr. Angela Courtney - mostly
grammatical edits. Mikhail, would love your eye on this if you have time.

*Who we are*

*We are a group of professionals from both the for-profit and non-profit
sectors, exploring the possibilities of applying new technologies to solve
problems in the healthcare space. We operate as the Healthcare Working
Group of Hyperledger <https://www.hyperledger.org/>, a multi-project open
source collaborative effort hosted by The Linux Foundation
<https://www.linuxfoundation.org/about/>. Hyperledger was created to