[ Hyperledger Fabric ] Orderer Endpoints Not Updating While Querying the Service Discovery After New Orderer Addition

Kavin Arumugam

Hi All,

    I added an Orderer (orderer1.example.com:8050) in an Ordering Service in a running Fabric Network (V2.2.3).
    First of all, I added an orderer to the System Channel.
    Then, I added an orderer to an Application Channel.
    I added the orderer to both channels successfully.

    I confirmed whether the New Orderer (orderer1.example.com:8050) was Added or Not by fetching the latest config block from Both Channels
    Below are the screenshots from both Channels.

     Also, Confirmed the New Orderer Addition by submitting the Transaction and queried the same. All Working Fine.
     But, Newly added orderer endpoint (orderer1.example.com:8050) is not showing when querying the Service Discovery CLI.
     Because of this issue, we don't know what are the orderers available in a channel and aren't able to spread the load.

    System Channel:

system_channel.png

      Application Channel:

       application_channel.png

Problem:
In Service Discovery CLI, I issued a Configuration Query, for that, I didn't get the Newly Added Orderer Endpoints from the Result of the Query.
           Here, I'm attaching the screenshot, which I got from Service Discovery CLI.

                       service_discovery_cli_result.png

          My question is, Why is New Orderer Endpoint not showing, when the Configuration Query is run in Service Discovery CLI?
   Because of this issue, we don't know what are the orderers available in a channel and aren't able to balance the load in ordering service.
   Anyone Please confirm whether this is an Issue in Fabric?

    Please find below the attachments of System Channel Config, Application Channel Config and Result of Configuration Query in Service Discovery CLI.

Kavin Arumugam

Hi Community,

     Did anyone knows this issue?

On Sun, May 23, 2021, 12:45 PM Kavin Arumugam <a.kavin24@...> wrote:
[...]

Chris Gabriel <alaskadd@...>

Hello Kavin,

I think you need to add the new orderer endpoint to both the system channel configuration and the application channel configuration.  So it will take one more config update transaction on each to get this done.  At about line 549 (I opened your config in VSCode editor), add the new orderer and endpoint to the “addresses” array (see screenshots below).  You will need to do the same in the application channel configuration at about line 600.  As you know, since mod_policy is “Admins”, you will need to sign the configuration update transaction with the OrdererOrg admin signing cert.   Please share your outcome on this thread so others may learn from your experience.

System Channel

Application Channel

I hope this helps,
Chris

On May 24, 2021, at 11:24 AM, Kavin Arumugam <a.kavin24@...> wrote:

[...]

Yacov

Did you fetch the last config block from the orderer or from the peer?

Try to fetch it from the peer and see if it contains the endpoints.

From:        "Kavin Arumugam" <a.kavin24@...>
To:        fabric@...
Date:        05/23/2021 10:16 AM
Subject:        [EXTERNAL] [Hyperledger Fabric] [ Hyperledger Fabric ] Orderer Endpoints Not Updating While Querying the Service Discovery After New Orderer Addition
Sent by:        fabric@...

Hi All,     I added an Orderer (orderer1.example.com:8050) in an Ordering Service in a running Fabric Network (V2.2.3).     First of all, I added an orderer to the System Channel.     Then, I added an orderer to an Application Channel. ‍‍‍ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerStart

:
In Service Discovery CLI, I issued a Configuration Query, for that, I didn't get the Newly Added Orderer Endpoints from the Result of the Query.
           Here, I'm attaching the screenshot, which I got from Service Discovery CLI.

                       service_discovery_cli_result.png

          My question is, Why is New Orderer Endpoint not showing, when the Configuration Query is run in Service Discovery CLI?
   Because of this issue, we don't know what are the orderers available in a channel and aren't able to balance the load in ordering service.
   Anyone Please confirm whether this is an Issue in Fabric?

    Please find below the attachments of System Channel Config, Application Channel Config and Result of Configuration Query in Service Discovery CLI.

Yacov

Check that the peer really got the config block that adds the endpoint

From:        "Kavin Arumugam" <a.kavin24@...>
To:        fabric@...
Date:        05/24/2021 07:24 PM
Sent by:        fabric@...

Hi Community,      Did anyone knows this issue? On Sun, May 23, 2021, 12:45 PM Kavin Arumugam <a.kavin24@...> wrote: Hi All,     I added an Orderer (orderer1.example.com:8050) in an Ordering Service in a running Fabric Network ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerStart
[...]

First of All, Thanks to @Chris Gabriel and @Yacov Manevich.

As Mentioned by @Chris Gabriel, I made a Config update to update an New Orderer Endpoint in Orderer Organization.
Note: Previously, I updated the New Orderer Endpoint at Channel Level Config (In both Channels) but not updated the endpoints in Orderer Organization.

After Updating the new orderer endpoint in the Orderer Organization in both channels config, I made a Configuration Query in Service Discovery CLI.
Now, it's displaying the Newly added Orderer Endpoint.

@
Yacov Manevich, Both Peers and Orderers Got the Latest Config Block. No issues in that.

Results from Service Discovery CLI:

orderer_addition_success.png

From:        "Kavin Arumugam" <a.kavin24@...>
To:        fabric@...
Date:        05/24/2021 07:24 PM
[...]

Hi Kavin,
I am really glad it worked for you and also appreciate you sharing the result so others can learn.

Chris

From:        "Kavin Arumugam" <a.kavin24@...>
To:        fabric@...
Date:        05/24/2021 07:24 PM
[...]