Date

Re: [Use Case] global trade

Don Li <lichunshen84@...>

Hi Brian,

Thank you very much for the thoughtful and informative response.  I'm delighted you expanded it to use case, which makes a lot of sense.  Since business endeavor involves two key parts of business case/motivation and technical implementation I feel it might be more productive to link these two together at some level instead of separating them as two different domains...
And since this is mostly a technical mailing list, for clarity, I'm adding [Use Case] to differentiate the discussion from usual technical discussion, and adding "global trade" to the end to indicate type of use case.  I hope business executives of various persuasion would join in discussion of Hyperledger Fabric use cases.  Or it would be nice if we could have a separate mailing list such as fabric-usecase@...   Just a thought.

Best,

Don

(Don) Chunshen Li
Virginia, US

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 5:23 PM Brian Behlendorf <bbehlendorf@...> wrote:
Hi Don,

There are two SIGs that you may be interested in for answers to this, one for Trade Finance and another for Supply Chain kinds of projects.  These are not as technical as the developer mailing lists, but they do discuss use cases and deployments.

I also will note that many of the major trade dinance and supply chain projects out there - from We.Trade to Tradelens to the Food Trust Network, to the Everledger diamond ledger, Circulor's tantalum traceability network, Honeywell with parts for planes, etc - are using Fabric.

It's often a challenge to get folks to talk about the internal details of their network publicly, and we're trying to encourage them by putting together case studies on the Hyperledger web site that might be useful for you to peruse.

Brian

On 12/12/19 7:01 AM, Don Li wrote:
Hello,

I'm curious to know who (major corporations, global economic entities or even startups) or if any on the list are using Hyperledger Fabric for global trade for efficiency or other benefits?
Just fyi, I studied international trade when in college.

Thanks.

Don

(Don) Chunshen Li
Virginia, US

Re: Who are using Fabric for for global trade?

On 12/12/19 7:01 AM, Don Li wrote:
Hello,

I'm curious to know who (major corporations, global economic entities or even startups) or if any on the list are using Hyperledger Fabric for global trade for efficiency or other benefits?
Just fyi, I studied international trade when in college.

Thanks.

Don

(Don) Chunshen Li
Virginia, US

Re: Peer instantiation error #fabric #fabric-sdk-node

Baohua Yang

ankit,
Seems that's the policy issue, and have you joined the peer into the channel successfully? And what id are you using to do the installation?

Besides, I think this project might be helpful for you: https://github.com/yeasy/docker-compose-files/tree/master/hyperledger_fabric/

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 12:31 AM <ankit.singh@...> wrote:
I am using fabric 1.4 with raft configuration. create channel, join channel, update anchor peers and install chaincode worked fine but facing this issue when trying to instantiate chaincode:

NodeJS logs:
(node:1463) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Error: Failed to instantiate the chaincode. cause:Error: instantiate proposal resulted in an error :: Error: failed to execute transaction 53450a9bb88694d82ab6c04f201f5016eecaf59140717d5ad2c4b4ba6710d48c: error sending: timeout expired while executing transaction

Blockchain logs:
Peer isn't eligible for channel mychannel : implicit policy evaluation failed - 0 sub-policies were satisfied, but this policy requires 1 of the 'Readers' sub-policies to be satisfied
peer0.org1.example.com    | runtime.goexit
peer0.org1.example.com    | /opt/go/src/runtime/asm_amd64.s:1337

--
Best wishes!

Baohua Yang

Re: stateDatabase field in core.yaml always shows goleveldb

Baohua Yang

Hi Suhan

It might be a good idea to add a new feature to allow exporting the runtime configurations using the RESTful API.

Feel free to create a jira issue if needed.

Thanks!

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 3:46 AM Suhan Sumeet <suhan.premilu@...> wrote:
Thanks for the clarification Gari.

But then how can we confirm that a peer is using couchdb as statedb by checking any configuration and not verifying from the server

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 4:34 PM Gari Singh <garis@...> wrote:
Environment variables act as override for the config persisted in core.yaml (or orderer.yaml for the orderer) and are not persisted.

To: hyperledger-fabric@...
From: "Suhan Sumeet"
Sent by: fabric@...
Date: 12/12/2019 06:01AM
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [Hyperledger Fabric] stateDatabase field in core.yaml always shows goleveldb

Hello Team,

Am trying to set BYFN network using couchdb and even I can see the records popping into the db serer, but when I check core.yaml of individual peers  the "stateDatabase" field still contains value as goleveldb.
Does not this field should get updated when running the network or value of this field does not matter?

--
Best wishes!

Baohua Yang

Re: changing merge rules

Brett T Logan <brett.t.logan@...>

What do we need to do to make this an official vote and relax the rules? It would be nice to have this changed before the holiday's really get going. It's going to be harder than ever over the next month to get two +2's.

From: "Jason Yellick" <jyellick@...>
Sent by: fabric@...
To: "Yacov Manevich" <YACOVM@...>
Cc: chris.ferris@..., "David Enyeart" <enyeart@...>, fabric@...
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [Hyperledger Fabric] changing merge rules
Date: Wed, Dec 11, 2019 12:06 PM

+1

We had relaxed on Gerrit to allow self+2 on changes which did not merit additionally scrutiny, and this was a big improvement in productivity from my perspective.  I think it's time we finally removed the second +2 entirely.

~Jason

From:        "David Enyeart" <enyeart@...>
To:        "Christopher Ferris" <chris.ferris@...>
Cc:        fabric <fabric@...>
Date:        12/11/2019 09:11 AM
Sent by:        fabric@...

+1

Now that we are on GitHub we do have the option to use CODEOWNERS to further specify a set of reviewers with domain knowledge in certain areas of the code, but I think that could come later if we see a need for it in selective areas.
And agree with Yacov about when in doubt get a second review. We could use PR Assignee field to 'nominate' additional reviewers.

Dave Enyeart

"Christopher Ferris" ---12/10/2019 05:25:20 PM---We've brought this up before, but maybe it deserves to be revisited.

From: "Christopher Ferris" <chris.ferris@...>
To: fabric <fabric@...>
Date: 12/10/2019 05:25 PM
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [Hyperledger Fabric] changing merge rules
Sent by: fabric@...

We've brought this up before, but maybe it deserves to be revisited.

Originally, we added the 2+2 because there was a perception in the community that IBMers were being less critical of the contributions by other IBMers.

It served its purpose, but it does raise the bar and especially for obvious things that really don't merit the extra effort.

We have the abilities on GH to prevent self review.

Maybe the time has come as we have moved to GH that we think about lowering the bar and making it less burdensome on the maintainers that are doing reviews by allowing them to merge with a single NACR.

When there's a more substantive change, a maintainer can always seek additional eyes by adding reviewers.

I’d like to propose we go with a single NACR across the Fabric repo-scape.

Please respond on this thread if you concur, or have concerns. If we have a majority, we can ask Ry to make the necessary changes to the merge policy.

Chris

Re: Broken Links in documentation

Kimheng SOK

Hi,

Thank for the open investigate, but don't know when will it resolved.
By the way, I have questions may be someone can answer:

1. Does the Private Data store in the (Transient Data Store, Private State) is encrypted or Not?
2. Should we encrypted? If Yes Why or If No Why?

Bests,

On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 8:15 PM Pam Andrejko <pama@...> wrote:

Thanks for reporting this. I've opened this Jira to investigate and address: https://jira.hyperledger.org/browse/FAB-17234

Pam

Who are using Fabric for for global trade?

Don Li <lichunshen84@...>

Hello,

I'm curious to know who (major corporations, global economic entities or even startups) or if any on the list are using Hyperledger Fabric for global trade for efficiency or other benefits?
Just fyi, I studied international trade when in college.

Thanks.

Don

(Don) Chunshen Li
Virginia, US

Re: #hsm #fabric-sdk-node #fabric Admin user and HSM #hsm #fabric-sdk-node #fabric

Gari Singh <garis@...>

The Node, Java and Go SDKs all have the ability to use HSMs.

The Go SDK uses a similar config to the peer as it basically embeds the bccsp code.

The Node SDK allows you to pass in a PKCS11 crypto suite: https://fabric-sdk-node.github.io/release-1.4/CryptoSuite_PKCS11.html

The Java SDK definitely supports PKCS11 (I know people who use it with an HSM) but I don't really use Java so don't have the info handy.

Hope this helps

To: fabric@...
From: "Jean-Gaël Dominé"
Sent by: fabric@...
Date: 12/12/2019 08:24AM
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [Hyperledger Fabric] #hsm #fabric-sdk-node #fabric Admin user and HSM

Thank you Gari for your quick reply.

So from what I understand, since I created my admin user using the fabric-ca-client plugged to the HSM. If I configure the peer CLI command so that it uses the same PKCS11 configuration, it should be able to retrieve the private key in it in order to do the actions.
Argh that means I need a docker image of the CLI with the HSM libs...

Ok I'll test that

Do you know if a similar thing is possible with the SDK? Because as far as I know, the SDK needs the admin user private key on the file system?

Re: #hsm #fabric-sdk-node #fabric Admin user and HSM #hsm #fabric-sdk-node #fabric

Jean-Gaël Dominé <jgdomine@...>

Thank you Gari for your quick reply.

So from what I understand, since I created my admin user using the fabric-ca-client plugged to the HSM. If I configure the peer CLI command so that it uses the same PKCS11 configuration, it should be able to retrieve the private key in it in order to do the actions.
Argh that means I need a docker image of the CLI with the HSM libs...

Ok I'll test that

Do you know if a similar thing is possible with the SDK? Because as far as I know, the SDK needs the admin user private key on the file system?

Re: #hsm #fabric-sdk-node #fabric Admin user and HSM #hsm #fabric-sdk-node #fabric

Gari Singh <garis@...>

The peer CLI currently uses the same config as the peer.
If you point the peer CLI at a core.yaml file which uses PKCS11 for the BCCSP (same as you would do for the peer), then things should work.
If you want to enroll an ID using the fabric-ca-client, same basic concept ... in the fabric-ca-client config file you can set the BCCSP to use PKCS11 as well.

To: fabric@...
From: "Jean-Gaël Dominé"
Sent by: fabric@...
Date: 12/12/2019 07:32AM

Hi all,

I've been trying to plug fabric to an HSM to avoid having the private keys stored in the file system of the components (except the TLS ones since it is currently not possible to do the same for them).

My question is that in order to create the channel, join the peers, ... I need the admin user private key to sign the transaction but how am I suppose to provide to the peer CLI command or SDK (Node in my case)?
Is it possible to plug them on the HSM too so that they ask the HSM to sign the transaction? I saw it was possible to plug the SDK to the HSM because I tried it to enroll the components using the HSM but I'm not sure it could serve this purpose as well. I don't know at all for the CLI though

Thanks for your help

Re: Orderer Raft Multiple Channels

Yacov

Attach your logs, Raft tells you what/why it's doing

From:        "Nicholas Leonardi via Lists.Hyperledger.Org" <nlzanutim=yahoo.com@...>
To:        Fabric <fabric@...>
Cc:        fabric@...
Date:        12/12/2019 02:30 PM
Subject:        [EXTERNAL] [Hyperledger Fabric] Orderer Raft Multiple Channels
Sent by:        fabric@...

Hey guys,

I have an organization with two channels and using Raft.
I have a weird problem that I'm not sure how to solve or if it's solvable.
I create another organization in another machine. Then, I add that organization to the system channel and channel 1.
Then, I fetch the latest config block from the system channel to start the second orderer of the second organization.
It works in the beginning with channel 1 but after some time, it starts trying to pull channel 2 and kicks itself out of channel 1.

Anyone have any idea what I could do or what's going on?

Thanks in advance

[...]

Nicholas Leonardi

Hey guys,

I have an organization with two channels and using Raft.
I have a weird problem that I'm not sure how to solve or if it's solvable.
I create another organization in another machine. Then, I add that organization to the system channel and channel 1.
Then, I fetch the latest config block from the system channel to start the second orderer of the second organization.
It works in the beginning with channel 1 but after some time, it starts trying to pull channel 2 and kicks itself out of channel 1.

Anyone have any idea what I could do or what's going on?

Thanks in advance

Re: stateDatabase field in core.yaml always shows goleveldb

Suhan Sumeet

To: hyperledger-fabric@...

From: "Suhan Sumeet"
Sent by: fabric@...
Date: 12/12/2019 06:01AM

Hello Team,

Am trying to set BYFN network using couchdb and even I can see the records popping into the db serer, but when I check core.yaml of individual peers the "stateDatabase" field still contains value as goleveldb.
Does not this field should get updated when running the network or value of this field does not matter?

stateDatabase field in core.yaml always shows goleveldb

Suhan Sumeet

Hello Team,

Am trying to set BYFN network using couchdb and even I can see the records popping into the db serer, but when I check core.yaml of individual peers  the "stateDatabase" field still contains value as goleveldb.
Does not this field should get updated when running the network or value of this field does not matter?
image.png

Re: fabric-sample: got some error message in the orderer node

fabiozhang@...

Having the same issue when playing with the fabcar example. It seemed like grpc call error, but not sure what is the root cause and how to fix it.

docker logs orderer.example.com >>>

2019-12-12 09:35:55.509 UTC [orderer.common.server] Broadcast -> DEBU b68 Starting new Broadcast handler
2019-12-12 09:35:55.509 UTC [orderer.common.broadcast] Handle -> DEBU b69 Starting new broadcast loop for 192.168.0.13:60208
2019-12-12 09:36:03.752 UTC [orderer.common.broadcast] Handle -> WARN b6a Error reading from 192.168.0.13:60208: rpc error: code = Canceled desc = context canceled
2019-12-12 09:36:03.752 UTC [orderer.common.server] func1 -> DEBU b6b Closing Broadcast stream
2019-12-12 09:36:03.752 UTC [comm.grpc.server] 1 -> INFO b6c streaming call completed grpc.service=orderer.AtomicBroadcast grpc.method=Broadcast grpc.peer_address=192.168.0.13:60208 error="rpc error: code = Canceled desc = context canceled" grpc.code=Canceled grpc.call_duration=8.2772053s
2019-12-12 09:36:03.752 UTC [grpc] infof -> DEBU b6d transport: loopyWriter.run returning. connection error: desc = "transport is closing"

docker network inspect net_byfn >>>

            "eec75d96d25d3ae054425d2f7fe04eeaab8321b0d2e3feb9e91683d17bfffebc": {
                "Name": "cli",
                "EndpointID": "fead796f82fbed089e118e9a118455ad4304c630fc39815ca2141ef82600c8c5",
                "MacAddress": "02:42:c0:a8:10:0d",
                "IPv4Address": "192.168.16.13/20",
                "IPv6Address": ""
            }

Re: #hsm #raft Raft and HSM in the same network #hsm #raft

Jean-Gaël Dominé <jgdomine@...>

Done :)

Though I don't expect it to be solved anytime soon :(

Thanks anyway, glad to see I'm not the only one in need of this

Documentation Workgroup: Agenda for Friday, 13 December - Western hemisphere only this week

Anthony O'Dowd <a_o-dowd@...>

Hello All,

We hold our regular documentation workgroup call this Friday.  Due to travel conflicts, we are only able to hold the Western hemisphere call. I apologize for this; we'll return with both calls next week.

You can read the summary minutes for last week: https://wiki.hyperledger.org/display/fabric/Meetings

Last week's call was particularly good with sessions from Matthew on SDK tutorials, Nik on the replacement for BYFN for version 2.0, and Pam on the documentation approval process that is being introduced for V2. Catch up via recordings page: https://wiki.hyperledger.org/display/fabric/Recordings

You'll see that there are lots of interesting items for this week: https://wiki.hyperledger.org/display/fabric/2019+12+13+DWG+Agenda
Please feel free to contribute using the wiki!

You can also help build next week's agenda: https://wiki.hyperledger.org/display/fabric/2019+12+20+DWG+Agenda

Best regards,

Pam, Anthony,  Joe, Nik

Meeting Details
-------------
Please use the following link to attend the meeting:  https://zoom.us/j/6223336701

The meeting times are as follows: https://wiki.hyperledger.org/display/fabric/Documentation+Working+Group

Meeting 108B: Friday 13 Dec
              1000 Central Daylight Time
                   1100 Eastern Daylight Time
                   0800 Pacific Daylight Time
                   1300 Brasil Time (BRT)
                   1600 Greenwich Mean Time
                   1700 Central European Time
                   1800 Moscow Standard Time

Re: #hsm #raft Raft and HSM in the same network #hsm #raft

vtech

I have created product feature some time back ( https://jira.hyperledger.org/browse/FAB-16102 ), currently it resides in Backlog. You can probably up vote it :) .

Thanks.

On Sun, Dec 8, 2019 at 6:59 PM Jean-Gaël Dominé <jgdomine@...> wrote:
Is it planned in some future release to fix this (2.x.x)?

4041 - 4060 of 11409