Re: Fabric v1.1, v1.2, v1.3 documentation

Christopher Ferris

Just because people are still referencing older versions of docs doesn’t necessarily mean there’s an issue. They may still be using the older version. Now, I know we don’t *support* older versions and would prefer users use a current or LTS release, the reality is not all teams are running agile devops-y constant upgrades mode. Instead they deploy once and move on to the next project.

We can’t fix that.

Unless there is some limit on how many RTD versions they will host, what harm is there in leaving them all?

Again, does not mean we support those versions, but users may depend on them. It is what it is.

Cheers

Chris

On Sep 1, 2020, at 1:59 PM, Brett T Logan <Brett.T.Logan@...> wrote:

I just had a discussion with Pam and I proposed a solution that I thought might solve both of these problems. When we retire doc, we can use GitHub Pages to post their final form. We then add a `Legacy Documentation` page to Read The Doc's and anyone who lands on a retired RTD page would be redirected to the `Legacy Documentation` page. The page would include all relevant information, such as:

"The version of the documentation you were attempting to access is for an unsupported version of Hyperledger Fabric and has been retired. We highly recommend you use a supported version of Fabric and it's corresponding documentation. If you still must access one of our legacy documentation pages, you can find them at the links below."

The user could then use one of these links to still access the legacy doc, but not without being forced to read the warning first.

Adding red banners to the top of all of the pages isn't a straight-forward task with our existing doc, and I know I tend to totally ignore anything I'm not interested in. And anyone who is using an Anchor Link wouldn't be directed to the top of the page anyway and would miss the banner.

<Image.15989686730100.png>