Re: #fabric #raft Orderers and organization, how to organize them? #fabric #raft

Harris Niavis

Thanks Joe,

So it is technically feasible but not recommended for decentralization purposes, right?

I could imagine a use case where we don't have such a large organization with different arms like BoA and it could make sense to have a single organization for peers and orderers. e.g. the fisherman in the supply chain paradigm.
Should we still split the peers and orderers (of the same conceptual organization) to different fabric organizations?

Best,
Harris

On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 at 10:57, Joe Alewine <Joe.Alewine@...> wrote:
Harris,

This is not a recommended configuration. Each entity (ie, Bank of America) should have an org that owns their peers and a separate org that owns their ordering nodes. Regulations or business preferences might make it desirable (or necessary) for BOA to split up their operations even further (a different CA for their investment arm than for their housing arm, for example), but ordering nodes and peers should not have the same root of trust (the same root CA).

Fabric will ALLOW you to do this --- there is no internal mechanism that checks to make sure the roots of trust are different --- but it is not recommended.

Regards,

Joe Alewine
IBM Blockchain, Raleigh

rocket chat: joe-alewine