From: "David Enyeart" <enyeart@...>
Sent by: fabric@...
To: fabric <fabric@...>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [Hyperledger Fabric] Hyperledger Fabric release v2.0 update
Date: Fri, Oct 25, 2019 8:14 PM

We discussed configuration updates for Fabric peer and orderer in the last contributors meetings. See proposal at https://jira.hyperledger.org/browse/FAB-16753.

The maintainers have been discussing further - we feel it would be more valuable to get release v2.0 out to the community rather than wait for the configuration updates. Therefore we would like to prepare for a code-complete v2.0 beta release in the December timeframe, which would set the stage for a v2.0 release early next year.

The largest user-facing changes in v2.0 that we'd like to get feedback on during the beta are the new decentralized chaincode lifecycle, and support for external chaincode (documentation updates are in the works). Additionally there have been large improvements in the Fabric codebase, test suites, and CI infrastructure, that will help us deliver the next series of v2.x enhancements. The configuration updates would likely be deferred until the next major release (v3.0).

Please join us at the contributor meeting next Wednesday for additional discussion. We also plan to walk through planned updates to the Fabric samples next Wednesday. As always, topics for the contributor's meeting can be proposed on this mailing list or on RocketChat at https://chat.hyperledger.org/channel/fabric-maintainers.
Meeting details can be found at: https://wiki.hyperledger.org/display/fabric/Contributor+Meetings