Topics

Conf call this afternoon for the proposal for Hyperledger Global Forum


Hou, Feng
 

Hi All,

 

You are invited to join a conference call this afternoon to discuss an opportunity for our Education Architecture SIG to present at the upcoming Hyperledger Global Forum. David Boswell first brought this event to our attention, Phil Long also followed up with some detailed information. I have suggested that we should take the opportunity and plan to submit a proposal. The deadline for the proposal was set to be today (09/27/2019) but was extended to another week with the due date of Friday 10/04/2019.

I have shared with David B. and Phil L. that I have been working at Maryville University to develop a lifelong learner profile on blockchain, which I call Transcript Plus. It is not the same as the Universal Learner Record, it is more about the access architecture and what standard we should establish for others to use.

So, if you are available, please use the Zoom conference information provided below to join the call.

Thanks!

Feng

 

ZOOM Meeting:

 

Event Name: 30 Minute Meeting

Location: Let's use my Zoom conference room at:

https://zoom.us/j/4336690939

Or you can dial-in by phone by calling:

+1 855 880 1246 (Toll Free)

Conference code: 4336690939#

Please provide a summary of what you'd like to cover in our call. If you have any files you'd like me to review before the call, please email me at dboswell@....: Discuss the proposal for the upcoming Hyperledger Global Forum.

Need to make changes to this event?
Cancel: https://calendly.com/cancellations/HAKE4AYYOSEFD4RF
Reschedule: https://calendly.com/reschedulings/HAKE4AYYOSEFD4RF

Powered by Calendly.com

When

Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:30pm – 3pm Pacific Time - Los Angeles

Calendar

fhou@...

Who

Yes: 3  No: 0  Maybe: 0  Waiting: 0  Optional: 0

Yes

dboswell@... - organizer

Yes

pdlong2@...

Yes

fhou@...

 


Taylor Kendal
 

Did anything get submitted given that this meeting never took place? Happy to help get a submission in (TODAY??) if it's still of interest and on the table. 


David Boswell
 

Taylor, thanks for following up about this.  I agree -- if the group does want to submit something for Global Forum, today is the deadline.

I didn't see another meeting get scheduled for this week, but we don't necessarily need to have a call to coordinate about this.  At this point, discussing options on the list is probably fastest.

Feng, any thoughts on next steps?

Thanks,
David


On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 6:39 PM Taylor Kendal <wkendal@...> wrote:
Did anything get submitted given that this meeting never took place? Happy to help get a submission in (TODAY??) if it's still of interest and on the table. 


Hou, Feng
 

David,

 

I can schedule a call with you for 30 minutes if you are available and send the invite to the group for anyone who is interested to join. How about 3:00PM Central, 1:00PM Pacific Time this afternoon?

 

Thanks!

Feng  

 

From: David Boswell [mailto:dboswell@...]
Sent: Friday, October 4, 2019 10:53 AM
To: education-architecture-sig@...; Hou, Feng <fhou@...>
Subject: Re: [education-architecture-sig] Conf call this afternoon for the proposal for Hyperledger Global Forum

 

Taylor, thanks for following up about this.  I agree -- if the group does want to submit something for Global Forum, today is the deadline.

 

I didn't see another meeting get scheduled for this week, but we don't necessarily need to have a call to coordinate about this.  At this point, discussing options on the list is probably fastest.

 

Feng, any thoughts on next steps?

 

Thanks,

David

 

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 6:39 PM Taylor Kendal <wkendal@...> wrote:

Did anything get submitted given that this meeting never took place? Happy to help get a submission in (TODAY??) if it's still of interest and on the table. 


David Boswell
 

Unfortunately I'm fairly booked today and don't have availability.  Don't let me block you though.  If group members want to meet today, please do or talk more here on the list. 

And it would be great to get a submission in before the end of the deadline.  As a reminder, you can submit a proposal at:


Thanks,
David


On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 9:09 AM Hou, Feng <fhou@...> wrote:

David,

 

I can schedule a call with you for 30 minutes if you are available and send the invite to the group for anyone who is interested to join. How about 3:00PM Central, 1:00PM Pacific Time this afternoon?

 

Thanks!

Feng  

 

From: David Boswell [mailto:dboswell@...]
Sent: Friday, October 4, 2019 10:53 AM
To: education-architecture-sig@...; Hou, Feng <fhou@...>
Subject: Re: [education-architecture-sig] Conf call this afternoon for the proposal for Hyperledger Global Forum

 

Taylor, thanks for following up about this.  I agree -- if the group does want to submit something for Global Forum, today is the deadline.

 

I didn't see another meeting get scheduled for this week, but we don't necessarily need to have a call to coordinate about this.  At this point, discussing options on the list is probably fastest.

 

Feng, any thoughts on next steps?

 

Thanks,

David

 

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 6:39 PM Taylor Kendal <wkendal@...> wrote:

Did anything get submitted given that this meeting never took place? Happy to help get a submission in (TODAY??) if it's still of interest and on the table. 


Hou, Feng
 

I am working on it as we speak. For whatever the reason, the forum asks only for the primary speaker information instead of a group. I’m trying to secure a spot first but will make it a group presentation to include Phil Long, Alex Kaplan, Sharon Leu, and Phil Komarny if you guys would join. For the proposal, I’ll try to incorporate the ideas from Taylor, Phil L and Alex that have been shared so far. I’ll send a draft to the group for feedback before submitting it. 

Thanks!

Feng


From: David Boswell <dboswell@...>
Sent: Friday, October 4, 2019 11:16:00 AM
To: Hou, Feng <fhou@...>
Cc: education-architecture-sig@... <education-architecture-sig@...>
Subject: Re: [education-architecture-sig] Conf call this afternoon for the proposal for Hyperledger Global Forum
 
Unfortunately I'm fairly booked today and don't have availability.  Don't let me block you though.  If group members want to meet today, please do or talk more here on the list. 

And it would be great to get a submission in before the end of the deadline.  As a reminder, you can submit a proposal at:


Thanks,
David

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 9:09 AM Hou, Feng <fhou@...> wrote:

David,

 

I can schedule a call with you for 30 minutes if you are available and send the invite to the group for anyone who is interested to join. How about 3:00PM Central, 1:00PM Pacific Time this afternoon?

 

Thanks!

Feng  

 

From: David Boswell [mailto:dboswell@...]
Sent: Friday, October 4, 2019 10:53 AM
To: education-architecture-sig@...; Hou, Feng <fhou@...>
Subject: Re: [education-architecture-sig] Conf call this afternoon for the proposal for Hyperledger Global Forum

 

Taylor, thanks for following up about this.  I agree -- if the group does want to submit something for Global Forum, today is the deadline.

 

I didn't see another meeting get scheduled for this week, but we don't necessarily need to have a call to coordinate about this.  At this point, discussing options on the list is probably fastest.

 

Feng, any thoughts on next steps?

 

Thanks,

David

 

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 6:39 PM Taylor Kendal <wkendal@...> wrote:

Did anything get submitted given that this meeting never took place? Happy to help get a submission in (TODAY??) if it's still of interest and on the table. 


Phillip Long
 

Feng: I’ve gone through the CFP process. They ask for who is submitting it, but you have a choice formats.  A presentation is limited to two people. For panel discussions, all panelists will receive a complimentary conference pass; maximum 3 panelists and 1 moderator. So it looks like you’ll need to cut one of us. 

From the website: 
Think Tank (40m), Workshop (1/2-full day)
Product Presentation (15m),
Panel Discussion (4 max, 1 mod, 40m
Presentation (2 max. 40 min)

Cheers,
  Phil

Phillip D. Long, P.D.,
Special Advisor & Faculty Affiliate
Arizona State University
---
Center for New Designs in Learning & Scholarship, (CNDLS)
Senior Fellow Georgetown University
e: pl673@...
Tw/Telegram: @RadHertz
---
RHz Consulting, LLC
Founder
e:Phil@...


On Oct 4, 2019, at 12:24 PM, Hou, Feng <fhou@...> wrote:

I am working on it as we speak. For whatever the reason, the forum asks only for the primary speaker information instead of a group. I’m trying to secure a spot first but will make it a group presentation to include Phil Long, Alex Kaplan, Sharon Leu, and Phil Komarny if you guys would join. For the proposal, I’ll try to incorporate the ideas from Taylor, Phil L and Alex that have been shared so far. I’ll send a draft to the group for feedback before submitting it. 

Thanks!

Feng

From: David Boswell <dboswell@...>
Sent: Friday, October 4, 2019 11:16:00 AM
To: Hou, Feng <fhou@...>
Cc: education-architecture-sig@... <education-architecture-sig@...>
Subject: Re: [education-architecture-sig] Conf call this afternoon for the proposal for Hyperledger Global Forum
 
Unfortunately I'm fairly booked today and don't have availability.  Don't let me block you though.  If group members want to meet today, please do or talk more here on the list.  

And it would be great to get a submission in before the end of the deadline.  As a reminder, you can submit a proposal at:


Thanks,
David

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 9:09 AM Hou, Feng <fhou@...> wrote:

David,

 

I can schedule a call with you for 30 minutes if you are available and send the invite to the group for anyone who is interested to join. How about 3:00PM Central, 1:00PM Pacific Time this afternoon?

 

Thanks!

Feng  

 

From: David Boswell [mailto:dboswell@...] 
Sent: Friday, October 4, 2019 10:53 AM
To: education-architecture-sig@...; Hou, Feng <fhou@...>
Subject: Re: [education-architecture-sig] Conf call this afternoon for the proposal for Hyperledger Global Forum

 

Taylor, thanks for following up about this.  I agree -- if the group does want to submit something for Global Forum, today is the deadline.

 

I didn't see another meeting get scheduled for this week, but we don't necessarily need to have a call to coordinate about this.  At this point, discussing options on the list is probably fastest.

 

Feng, any thoughts on next steps?

 

Thanks,

David

 

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 6:39 PM Taylor Kendal <wkendal@...> wrote:

Did anything get submitted given that this meeting never took place? Happy to help get a submission in (TODAY??) if it's still of interest and on the table. 



Hou, Feng
 

I would certainly plan to do a panel discussion. However, we can submit more than one session, correct? How about we do both a presentation and a panel discussion? What the group think we should do?

 

Thanks Phil!

 

From: education-architecture-sig@... [mailto:education-architecture-sig@...] On Behalf Of Phillip Long
Sent: Friday, October 4, 2019 11:40 AM
To: education-architecture-sig@...
Subject: Re: [education-architecture-sig] Conf call this afternoon for the proposal for Hyperledger Global Forum

 

Feng: I’ve gone through the CFP process. They ask for who is submitting it, but you have a choice formats.  A presentation is limited to two people. For panel discussions, all panelists will receive a complimentary conference pass; maximum 3 panelists and 1 moderator. So it looks like you’ll need to cut one of us. 

 

From the website: 

Think Tank (40m), Workshop (1/2-full day)
Product Presentation (15m),
Panel Discussion (4 max, 1 mod, 40m
Presentation (2 max. 40 min)

 

Cheers,

  Phil

 

Phillip D. Long, P.D.,

Special Advisor & Faculty Affiliate

Arizona State University

---

Center for New Designs in Learning & Scholarship, (CNDLS)

Senior Fellow Georgetown University
e: pl673@...
Tw/Telegram: @RadHertz
---
RHz Consulting, LLC
Founder
e:Phil@...

 



On Oct 4, 2019, at 12:24 PM, Hou, Feng <fhou@...> wrote:

 

I am working on it as we speak. For whatever the reason, the forum asks only for the primary speaker information instead of a group. I’m trying to secure a spot first but will make it a group presentation to include Phil Long, Alex Kaplan, Sharon Leu, and Phil Komarny if you guys would join. For the proposal, I’ll try to incorporate the ideas from Taylor, Phil L and Alex that have been shared so far. I’ll send a draft to the group for feedback before submitting it. 

 

Thanks!

 

Feng


From: David Boswell <dboswell@...>
Sent: Friday, October 4, 2019 11:16:00 AM
To: Hou, Feng <fhou@...>
Cc: education-architecture-sig@... <education-architecture-sig@...>
Subject: Re: [education-architecture-sig] Conf call this afternoon for the proposal for Hyperledger Global Forum

 

Unfortunately I'm fairly booked today and don't have availability.  Don't let me block you though.  If group members want to meet today, please do or talk more here on the list.  

 

And it would be great to get a submission in before the end of the deadline.  As a reminder, you can submit a proposal at:

 

 

Thanks,

David

 

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 9:09 AM Hou, Feng <fhou@...> wrote:

David,

 

I can schedule a call with you for 30 minutes if you are available and send the invite to the group for anyone who is interested to join. How about 3:00PM Central, 1:00PM Pacific Time this afternoon?

 

Thanks!

Feng  

 

From: David Boswell [mailto:dboswell@...] 
Sent: Friday, October 4, 2019 10:53 AM
To: education-architecture-sig@...; Hou, Feng <fhou@...>
Subject: Re: [education-architecture-sig] Conf call this afternoon for the proposal for Hyperledger Global Forum

 

Taylor, thanks for following up about this.  I agree -- if the group does want to submit something for Global Forum, today is the deadline.

 

I didn't see another meeting get scheduled for this week, but we don't necessarily need to have a call to coordinate about this.  At this point, discussing options on the list is probably fastest.

 

Feng, any thoughts on next steps?

 

Thanks,

David

 

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 6:39 PM Taylor Kendal <wkendal@...> wrote:

Did anything get submitted given that this meeting never took place? Happy to help get a submission in (TODAY??) if it's still of interest and on the table. 

 


Phillip Long
 

Feng: It’s all about having enough time to put something coherent together. In spirit I’m supportive of the suggestion. What would  you suggest the topic of the Presentation is to coordinate it with the Panel? (since you’re working on the panel now)

Phil


Phillip D. Long, P.D.,
Special Advisor & Faculty Affiliate
Arizona State University
---
Center for New Designs in Learning & Scholarship, (CNDLS)
Senior Fellow Georgetown University
e: pl673@...
Tw/Telegram: @RadHertz
---
RHz Consulting, LLC
Founder
e:Phil@...

On Oct 4, 2019, at 12:45 PM, Hou, Feng <fhou@...> wrote:

I would certainly plan to do a panel discussion. However, we can submit more than one session, correct? How about we do both a presentation and a panel discussion? What the group think we should do?
 
Thanks Phil!
 
From: education-architecture-sig@... [mailto:education-architecture-sig@...] On Behalf Of Phillip Long
Sent: Friday, October 4, 2019 11:40 AM
To: education-architecture-sig@...
Subject: Re: [education-architecture-sig] Conf call this afternoon for the proposal for Hyperledger Global Forum
 
Feng: I’ve gone through the CFP process. They ask for who is submitting it, but you have a choice formats.  A presentation is limited to two people. For panel discussions, all panelists will receive a complimentary conference pass; maximum 3 panelists and 1 moderator. So it looks like you’ll need to cut one of us.  
 
From the website: 
Think Tank (40m), Workshop (1/2-full day)
Product Presentation (15m),
Panel Discussion (4 max, 1 mod, 40m
Presentation (2 max. 40 min)
 
Cheers,
  Phil
 
Phillip D. Long, P.D.,
Special Advisor & Faculty Affiliate
Arizona State University
---
Center for New Designs in Learning & Scholarship, (CNDLS)
Senior Fellow Georgetown University
e: pl673@...
Tw/Telegram: @RadHertz
---
RHz Consulting, LLC
Founder
e:Phil@...
 


On Oct 4, 2019, at 12:24 PM, Hou, Feng <fhou@...> wrote:
 
I am working on it as we speak. For whatever the reason, the forum asks only for the primary speaker information instead of a group. I’m trying to secure a spot first but will make it a group presentation to include Phil Long, Alex Kaplan, Sharon Leu, and Phil Komarny if you guys would join. For the proposal, I’ll try to incorporate the ideas from Taylor, Phil L and Alex that have been shared so far. I’ll send a draft to the group for feedback before submitting it. 
 
Thanks!
 
Feng

From: David Boswell <dboswell@...>
Sent: Friday, October 4, 2019 11:16:00 AM
To: Hou, Feng <fhou@...>
Cc: education-architecture-sig@... <education-architecture-sig@...>
Subject: Re: [education-architecture-sig] Conf call this afternoon for the proposal for Hyperledger Global Forum
 
Unfortunately I'm fairly booked today and don't have availability.  Don't let me block you though.  If group members want to meet today, please do or talk more here on the list.  
 
And it would be great to get a submission in before the end of the deadline.  As a reminder, you can submit a proposal at:
 
 
Thanks,
David
 
On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 9:09 AM Hou, Feng <fhou@...> wrote:
David,
 
I can schedule a call with you for 30 minutes if you are available and send the invite to the group for anyone who is interested to join. How about 3:00PM Central, 1:00PM Pacific Time this afternoon?
 

Thanks!

Feng  
 
From: David Boswell [mailto:dboswell@...] 
Sent: Friday, October 4, 2019 10:53 AM
To: education-architecture-sig@...; Hou, Feng <fhou@...>
Subject: Re: [education-architecture-sig] Conf call this afternoon for the proposal for Hyperledger Global Forum
 
Taylor, thanks for following up about this.  I agree -- if the group does want to submit something for Global Forum, today is the deadline.
 
I didn't see another meeting get scheduled for this week, but we don't necessarily need to have a call to coordinate about this.  At this point, discussing options on the list is probably fastest.
 
Feng, any thoughts on next steps?
 
Thanks,
David
 
On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 6:39 PM Taylor Kendal <wkendal@...> wrote:
Did anything get submitted given that this meeting never took place? Happy to help get a submission in (TODAY??) if it's still of interest and on the table. 
 



Hou, Feng
 

“How to use blockchain as a facilitating technology to close the skills gap?” I shamelessly copied it from Alex’s email earlier. Thanks Alex! And of course the discussion can center around the Interoperable Learner Record, TLR, Maryville’s initiative and so forth.

 

Feng

 

From: education-architecture-sig@... [mailto:education-architecture-sig@...] On Behalf Of Phillip Long
Sent: Friday, October 4, 2019 11:47 AM
To: education-architecture-sig@...
Subject: Re: [education-architecture-sig] Conf call this afternoon for the proposal for Hyperledger Global Forum

 

Feng: It’s all about having enough time to put something coherent together. In spirit I’m supportive of the suggestion. What would  you suggest the topic of the Presentation is to coordinate it with the Panel? (since you’re working on the panel now)

 

Phil

 

 

Phillip D. Long, P.D.,

Special Advisor & Faculty Affiliate

Arizona State University

---

Center for New Designs in Learning & Scholarship, (CNDLS)

Senior Fellow Georgetown University
e: pl673@...
Tw/Telegram: @RadHertz
---
RHz Consulting, LLC
Founder
e:Phil@...



On Oct 4, 2019, at 12:45 PM, Hou, Feng <fhou@...> wrote:

 

I would certainly plan to do a panel discussion. However, we can submit more than one session, correct? How about we do both a presentation and a panel discussion? What the group think we should do?

 

Thanks Phil!

 

From: education-architecture-sig@... [mailto:education-architecture-sig@...] On Behalf Of Phillip Long
Sent: Friday, October 4, 2019 11:40 AM
To: education-architecture-sig@...
Subject: Re: [education-architecture-sig] Conf call this afternoon for the proposal for Hyperledger Global Forum

 

Feng: I’ve gone through the CFP process. They ask for who is submitting it, but you have a choice formats.  A presentation is limited to two people. For panel discussions, all panelists will receive a complimentary conference pass; maximum 3 panelists and 1 moderator. So it looks like you’ll need to cut one of us.  

 

From the website: 

Think Tank (40m), Workshop (1/2-full day)
Product Presentation (15m),
Panel Discussion (4 max, 1 mod, 40m
Presentation (2 max. 40 min)

 

Cheers,

  Phil

 

Phillip D. Long, P.D.,

Special Advisor & Faculty Affiliate

Arizona State University

---

Center for New Designs in Learning & Scholarship, (CNDLS)

Senior Fellow Georgetown University
e: pl673@...
Tw/Telegram: @RadHertz
---
RHz Consulting, LLC
Founder
e:Phil@...

 




On Oct 4, 2019, at 12:24 PM, Hou, Feng <fhou@...> wrote:

 

I am working on it as we speak. For whatever the reason, the forum asks only for the primary speaker information instead of a group. I’m trying to secure a spot first but will make it a group presentation to include Phil Long, Alex Kaplan, Sharon Leu, and Phil Komarny if you guys would join. For the proposal, I’ll try to incorporate the ideas from Taylor, Phil L and Alex that have been shared so far. I’ll send a draft to the group for feedback before submitting it. 

 

Thanks!

 

Feng


From: David Boswell <dboswell@...>
Sent: Friday, October 4, 2019 11:16:00 AM
To: Hou, Feng <fhou@...>
Cc: education-architecture-sig@... <education-architecture-sig@...>
Subject: Re: [education-architecture-sig] Conf call this afternoon for the proposal for Hyperledger Global Forum

 

Unfortunately I'm fairly booked today and don't have availability.  Don't let me block you though.  If group members want to meet today, please do or talk more here on the list.  

 

And it would be great to get a submission in before the end of the deadline.  As a reminder, you can submit a proposal at:

 

 

Thanks,

David

 

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 9:09 AM Hou, Feng <fhou@...> wrote:

David,

 

I can schedule a call with you for 30 minutes if you are available and send the invite to the group for anyone who is interested to join. How about 3:00PM Central, 1:00PM Pacific Time this afternoon?

 

Thanks!

Feng  

 

From: David Boswell [mailto:dboswell@...] 
Sent: Friday, October 4, 2019 10:53 AM
To: education-architecture-sig@...; Hou, Feng <fhou@...>
Subject: Re: [education-architecture-sig] Conf call this afternoon for the proposal for Hyperledger Global Forum

 

Taylor, thanks for following up about this.  I agree -- if the group does want to submit something for Global Forum, today is the deadline.

 

I didn't see another meeting get scheduled for this week, but we don't necessarily need to have a call to coordinate about this.  At this point, discussing options on the list is probably fastest.

 

Feng, any thoughts on next steps?

 

Thanks,

David

 

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 6:39 PM Taylor Kendal <wkendal@...> wrote:

Did anything get submitted given that this meeting never took place? Happy to help get a submission in (TODAY??) if it's still of interest and on the table. 

 

 


Taylor Kendal
 

We will surely have enough representation (and no shortage of good ideas), so I agree with submitting both (or more depending on capacity). @Feng, I'll have time this afternoon to fine-tune if you can get the scaffolds stood up.


Hou, Feng
 

Working on it now. Thanks @Taylor!

 

From: education-architecture-sig@... [mailto:education-architecture-sig@...] On Behalf Of Taylor Kendal
Sent: Friday, October 4, 2019 11:52 AM
To: education-architecture-sig@...
Subject: Re: [education-architecture-sig] Conf call this afternoon for the proposal for Hyperledger Global Forum

 

We will surely have enough representation (and no shortage of good ideas), so I agree with submitting both (or more depending on capacity). @Feng, I'll have time this afternoon to fine-tune if you can get the scaffolds stood up.


Hou, Feng
 

All

 

This is my first draft for the proposal. Obviously, I need help to review, edit, or even re-write either part of it or the entire thing. I plan to incorporate whatever the comments I’ll receive and send it in by 5:00PM PST. I also encourage we all to submit proposals of your own if you have any topics that can help our SIG.

 

Thanks in advance!

 

Feng

 

Abstract Title*

 

How to use blockchain as a facilitating technology to close the skills gap?

 

Abstract*

 

A group of leading experts in education blockchain will discuss how blockchain can be used as a facilitating technology to close the skills gap that has become a major challenge for higher education in US. Two panelists, who were involved directly in the recent publication of the White Paper on Interoperable Learning Records from the White House Data Transparency Working Group will share their perspectives about the ILR and how it can be used to help American workers “to translate their full education, training, and work experience to a record of transferable skills that will open the doors to higher wage occupations and careers.” The panel will also discuss Arizona State University and Salesforce’ Trust Learner Record (TLR) initiative as well as Maryville University’s Lifelong Learner Profile on blockchain initiative.

 

The focus of the panel discussion, however, will be interoperability and delivery mechanism. The panel will present some use cases to illustrate how education institutions in US can prepare for and accelerate blockchain adoption to help close the skills gap.  

 


Characters entered: 0
Min: Max: 1800

Select the experience level this content is best suited: *

·        Any

 

Benefits to the Ecosystem *

 

The focus of the panel discussion is interoperability and delivery mechanism. This is particularly important for the Education Architect SIG to discuss and recommend an open architecture that can incorporate the learner records of major formats that are being used today.

 

 

 

From: education-architecture-sig@... [mailto:education-architecture-sig@...] On Behalf Of Hou, Feng
Sent: Friday, October 4, 2019 11:54 AM
To: education-architecture-sig@...
Subject: Re: [education-architecture-sig] Conf call this afternoon for the proposal for Hyperledger Global Forum

 

Working on it now. Thanks @Taylor!

 

From: education-architecture-sig@... [mailto:education-architecture-sig@...] On Behalf Of Taylor Kendal
Sent: Friday, October 4, 2019 11:52 AM
To:
education-architecture-sig@...
Subject: Re: [education-architecture-sig] Conf call this afternoon for the proposal for Hyperledger Global Forum

 

We will surely have enough representation (and no shortage of good ideas), so I agree with submitting both (or more depending on capacity). @Feng, I'll have time this afternoon to fine-tune if you can get the scaffolds stood up.


Taylor Kendal
 

See suggestions/updates below...

I also plan to submit a session with reference to EASIG.

TK


On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 01:40 PM, Hou, Feng wrote:

Abstract Title*

 

Education Architecture: Using blockchain technology to close the skills gap

 

Abstract*

 

A group of leading experts in education blockchain experts from the Hyperledger Education Architecture Special Interest Group (EASIG) will discuss how blockchain can be used as a facilitating technology to close the skills gap, a major growing challenge for higher education in the U.S.. Two panelists involved directly in the recent publication of the White Paper on Interoperable Learning Records (ILR) from the White House Data Transparency Working Group will share their perspectives about the ILR and how it can be used to help American workers “to translate their full education, training, and work experience to a record of transferable skills that will open the doors to higher wage occupations and careers.” The panel will also discuss Arizona State University and Salesforce’ Trust Learner Record (TLR) initiative as well as Maryville University’s Lifelong Learner Profile on blockchain initiative.

 

While specific use-cases will be discussed, the focus of the panel discussion, however, will be on interoperability and delivery mechanisms. The panel will present some use cases to help to illustrate how education institutions in U.S. can prepare for and accelerate blockchain adoption to help close the national skills gap.  

 


Characters entered: 0
Min: Max: 1800

Select the experience level this content is best suited: *

·        Any

 

Benefits to the Ecosystem *

 

The focus of the panel discussion is interoperability and delivery mechanisms. This is particularly important for the Education Architect SIG to discuss and recommend an open architecture that can incorporate the learner records of major formats that are being used today.


Phillip Long
 

Feng: I would suggest introducing the idea that the methods used the ‘delivery system’ (that, for me needs a little unpacking to clarify what we mean by the delivery system) should also attend to the privacy requirements that are a strength of the blockchain approach. 

I have to say I’m a little unsure as to how the inclusion of skills into the trusted learner record or lifelong learner profile actually operates as a vector to close the skills gap. I understand and I thing both ASU and Maryville believe that this is essential data that the individual can leverage to more effectively present their capabilities to prospective employers and or professional develop programs. That’s especially true if it they are verifiable skills, associated with evidence of their demonstration. 

But however creative we document and provide verifiable narrative justification to individuals, learners or workers, it is the job of applications that work from learner/worker records that have the opportunity to potentially highlight skills individuals lack and need to be developed. Thus the blockchain and the learner record or profile is an essential catalyst to make more tangible the steps individuals need to address, and conversely surface the training and academic programs needed to meet these gaps. 

Cheers,
  Phil

Phillip D. Long, P.D.,
Special Advisor & Faculty Affiliate
Arizona State University
---
Center for New Designs in Learning & Scholarship, (CNDLS)
Senior Fellow Georgetown University
e: pl673@...
Tw/Telegram: @RadHertz
---
RHz Consulting, LLC
Founder
e:Phil@...






On Oct 4, 2019, at 4:40 PM, Hou, Feng <fhou@...> wrote:

All
 
This is my first draft for the proposal. Obviously, I need help to review, edit, or even re-write either part of it or the entire thing. I plan to incorporate whatever the comments I’ll receive and send it in by 5:00PM PST. I also encourage we all to submit proposals of your own if you have any topics that can help our SIG.
 
Thanks in advance!
 
Feng
 
Abstract Title*
 
How to use blockchain as a facilitating technology to close the skills gap?
 
Abstract*
 
A group of leading experts in education blockchain will discuss how blockchain can be used as a facilitating technology to close the skills gap that has become a major challenge for higher education in US. Two panelists, who were involved directly in the recent publication of the White Paper on Interoperable Learning Records from the White House Data Transparency Working Group will share their perspectives about the ILR and how it can be used to help American workers “to translate their full education, training, and work experience to a record of transferable skills that will open the doors to higher wage occupations and careers.” The panel will also discuss Arizona State University and Salesforce’ Trust Learner Record (TLR) initiative as well as Maryville University’s Lifelong Learner Profile on blockchain initiative.
 
The focus of the panel discussion, however, will be interoperability and delivery mechanism. The panel will present some use cases to illustrate how education institutions in US can prepare for and accelerate blockchain adoption to help close the skills gap.  
 

Characters entered: 0
Min: Max: 1800
Select the experience level this content is best suited: *

·        Any

 
Benefits to the Ecosystem *
 
The focus of the panel discussion is interoperability and delivery mechanism. This is particularly important for the Education Architect SIG to discuss and recommend an open architecture that can incorporate the learner records of major formats that are being used today.
 
 
 
From: education-architecture-sig@... [mailto:education-architecture-sig@...] On Behalf Of Hou, Feng
Sent: Friday, October 4, 2019 11:54 AM
To: education-architecture-sig@...
Subject: Re: [education-architecture-sig] Conf call this afternoon for the proposal for Hyperledger Global Forum
 
Working on it now. Thanks @Taylor!
 
From: education-architecture-sig@... [mailto:education-architecture-sig@...] On Behalf Of Taylor Kendal
Sent: Friday, October 4, 2019 11:52 AM
To: 
education-architecture-sig@...
Subject: Re: [education-architecture-sig] Conf call this afternoon for the proposal for Hyperledger Global Forum
 
We will surely have enough representation (and no shortage of good ideas), so I agree with submitting both (or more depending on capacity). @Feng, I'll have time this afternoon to fine-tune if you can get the scaffolds stood up.



Hou, Feng
 

Great. I may do the same thing by submitting another presentation. Thanks for the suggestions/updates!

 

Feng

 

From: education-architecture-sig@... [mailto:education-architecture-sig@...] On Behalf Of Taylor Kendal
Sent: Friday, October 4, 2019 4:15 PM
To: education-architecture-sig@...
Subject: Re: [education-architecture-sig] Conf call this afternoon for the proposal for Hyperledger Global Forum

 

See suggestions/updates below...

I also plan to submit a session with reference to EASIG.

TK

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 01:40 PM, Hou, Feng wrote:

Abstract Title*

 

Education Architecture: Using blockchain technology to close the skills gap

 

Abstract*

 

A group of leading experts in education blockchain experts from the Hyperledger Education Architecture Special Interest Group (EASIG) will discuss how blockchain can be used as a facilitating technology to close the skills gap, a major growing challenge for higher education in the U.S.. Two panelists involved directly in the recent publication of the White Paper on Interoperable Learning Records (ILR) from the White House Data Transparency Working Group will share their perspectives about the ILR and how it can be used to help American workers “to translate their full education, training, and work experience to a record of transferable skills that will open the doors to higher wage occupations and careers.” The panel will also discuss Arizona State University and Salesforce’ Trust Learner Record (TLR) initiative as well as Maryville University’s Lifelong Learner Profile on blockchain initiative.

 

While specific use-cases will be discussed, the focus of the panel discussion, however, will be on interoperability and delivery mechanisms. The panel will present some use cases to help to illustrate how education institutions in U.S. can prepare for and accelerate blockchain adoption to help close the national skills gap.  

 


Characters entered: 0
Min: Max: 1800

Select the experience level this content is best suited: *

·        Any

 

Benefits to the Ecosystem *

 

The focus of the panel discussion is interoperability and delivery mechanisms. This is particularly important for the Education Architect SIG to discuss and recommend an open architecture that can incorporate the learner records of major formats that are being used today.


Hou, Feng
 

Hi Phil,

 

This is fascinating to me, so thanks for sharing! I too have been thinking if the “learner record” itself is the correct term because it is extremely difficult if not impossible to define. To me, the correct term should be universal knowledge unit as defined by subject experts with clearly defined learning objects and outcomes. What we may still need, however, is the inclusion of the skills such as soft skills achieved outside of the classroom, things like organizing a large event to demonstrate leadership skills, etc. I think Universal Knowledge Unit (UKU) is much more manageable, it can be standardized and therefore tokenized, which is another topic by itself.

 

Thanks!

 

Feng

 

 

 

From: Phillip Long [mailto:pdlong2@...]
Sent: Friday, October 4, 2019 4:43 PM
To: education-architecture-sig@...; Hou, Feng <fhou@...>
Subject: Re: [education-architecture-sig] Conf call this afternoon for the proposal for Hyperledger Global Forum

 

Feng: I would suggest introducing the idea that the methods used the ‘delivery system’ (that, for me needs a little unpacking to clarify what we mean by the delivery system) should also attend to the privacy requirements that are a strength of the blockchain approach. 

 

I have to say I’m a little unsure as to how the inclusion of skills into the trusted learner record or lifelong learner profile actually operates as a vector to close the skills gap. I understand and I thing both ASU and Maryville believe that this is essential data that the individual can leverage to more effectively present their capabilities to prospective employers and or professional develop programs. That’s especially true if it they are verifiable skills, associated with evidence of their demonstration. 

 

But however creative we document and provide verifiable narrative justification to individuals, learners or workers, it is the job of applications that work from learner/worker records that have the opportunity to potentially highlight skills individuals lack and need to be developed. Thus the blockchain and the learner record or profile is an essential catalyst to make more tangible the steps individuals need to address, and conversely surface the training and academic programs needed to meet these gaps. 

 

Cheers,

  Phil

 

Phillip D. Long, P.D.,

Special Advisor & Faculty Affiliate

Arizona State University

---

Center for New Designs in Learning & Scholarship, (CNDLS)

Senior Fellow Georgetown University
e: pl673@...
Tw/Telegram: @RadHertz
---
RHz Consulting, LLC
Founder
e:Phil@...

 

 

 

 



On Oct 4, 2019, at 4:40 PM, Hou, Feng <fhou@...> wrote:

 

All

 

This is my first draft for the proposal. Obviously, I need help to review, edit, or even re-write either part of it or the entire thing. I plan to incorporate whatever the comments I’ll receive and send it in by 5:00PM PST. I also encourage we all to submit proposals of your own if you have any topics that can help our SIG.

 

Thanks in advance!

 

Feng

 

Abstract Title*

 

How to use blockchain as a facilitating technology to close the skills gap?

 

Abstract*

 

A group of leading experts in education blockchain will discuss how blockchain can be used as a facilitating technology to close the skills gap that has become a major challenge for higher education in US. Two panelists, who were involved directly in the recent publication of the White Paper on Interoperable Learning Records from the White House Data Transparency Working Group will share their perspectives about the ILR and how it can be used to help American workers “to translate their full education, training, and work experience to a record of transferable skills that will open the doors to higher wage occupations and careers.” The panel will also discuss Arizona State University and Salesforce’ Trust Learner Record (TLR) initiative as well as Maryville University’s Lifelong Learner Profile on blockchain initiative.

 

The focus of the panel discussion, however, will be interoperability and delivery mechanism. The panel will present some use cases to illustrate how education institutions in US can prepare for and accelerate blockchain adoption to help close the skills gap.  

 


Characters entered: 0
Min: Max: 1800

Select the experience level this content is best suited: *

·        Any

 

Benefits to the Ecosystem *

 

The focus of the panel discussion is interoperability and delivery mechanism. This is particularly important for the Education Architect SIG to discuss and recommend an open architecture that can incorporate the learner records of major formats that are being used today.

 

 

 

From: education-architecture-sig@... [mailto:education-architecture-sig@...] On Behalf Of Hou, Feng
Sent: Friday, October 4, 2019 11:54 AM
To: education-architecture-sig@...
Subject: Re: [education-architecture-sig] Conf call this afternoon for the proposal for Hyperledger Global Forum

 

Working on it now. Thanks @Taylor!

 

From: education-architecture-sig@... [mailto:education-architecture-sig@...] On Behalf Of Taylor Kendal
Sent: Friday, October 4, 2019 11:52 AM
To: 
education-architecture-sig@...
Subject: Re: [education-architecture-sig] Conf call this afternoon for the proposal for Hyperledger Global Forum

 

We will surely have enough representation (and no shortage of good ideas), so I agree with submitting both (or more depending on capacity). @Feng, I'll have time this afternoon to fine-tune if you can get the scaffolds stood up.

 


Phil Komarny
 

The word ‘Trust’ is one word we should consider not omitting from whatever this is called someday. 

What we are doing is cataloging learning/knowledge/skills - but in a Trusted way. 

The value of this approach will be due to the ‘trust’ in the data as much as what the data represents itself. 

That’s the innovation, IMO. 

P2


On Oct 4, 2019, at 6:49 PM, Hou, Feng <fhou@...> wrote:



Hi Phil,

 

This is fascinating to me, so thanks for sharing! I too have been thinking if the “learner record” itself is the correct term because it is extremely difficult if not impossible to define. To me, the correct term should be universal knowledge unit as defined by subject experts with clearly defined learning objects and outcomes. What we may still need, however, is the inclusion of the skills such as soft skills achieved outside of the classroom, things like organizing a large event to demonstrate leadership skills, etc. I think Universal Knowledge Unit (UKU) is much more manageable, it can be standardized and therefore tokenized, which is another topic by itself.

 

Thanks!

 

Feng

 

 

 

From: Phillip Long [mailto:pdlong2@...]
Sent: Friday, October 4, 2019 4:43 PM
To: education-architecture-sig@...; Hou, Feng <fhou@...>
Subject: Re: [education-architecture-sig] Conf call this afternoon for the proposal for Hyperledger Global Forum

 

Feng: I would suggest introducing the idea that the methods used the ‘delivery system’ (that, for me needs a little unpacking to clarify what we mean by the delivery system) should also attend to the privacy requirements that are a strength of the blockchain approach. 

 

I have to say I’m a little unsure as to how the inclusion of skills into the trusted learner record or lifelong learner profile actually operates as a vector to close the skills gap. I understand and I thing both ASU and Maryville believe that this is essential data that the individual can leverage to more effectively present their capabilities to prospective employers and or professional develop programs. That’s especially true if it they are verifiable skills, associated with evidence of their demonstration. 

 

But however creative we document and provide verifiable narrative justification to individuals, learners or workers, it is the job of applications that work from learner/worker records that have the opportunity to potentially highlight skills individuals lack and need to be developed. Thus the blockchain and the learner record or profile is an essential catalyst to make more tangible the steps individuals need to address, and conversely surface the training and academic programs needed to meet these gaps. 

 

Cheers,

  Phil

 

Phillip D. Long, P.D.,

Special Advisor & Faculty Affiliate

Arizona State University

---

Center for New Designs in Learning & Scholarship, (CNDLS)

Senior Fellow Georgetown University
e: pl673@...
Tw/Telegram: @RadHertz
---
RHz Consulting, LLC
Founder
e:Phil@...

 

 

 

 



On Oct 4, 2019, at 4:40 PM, Hou, Feng <fhou@...> wrote:

 

All

 

This is my first draft for the proposal. Obviously, I need help to review, edit, or even re-write either part of it or the entire thing. I plan to incorporate whatever the comments I’ll receive and send it in by 5:00PM PST. I also encourage we all to submit proposals of your own if you have any topics that can help our SIG.

 

Thanks in advance!

 

Feng

 

Abstract Title*

 

How to use blockchain as a facilitating technology to close the skills gap?

 

Abstract*

 

A group of leading experts in education blockchain will discuss how blockchain can be used as a facilitating technology to close the skills gap that has become a major challenge for higher education in US. Two panelists, who were involved directly in the recent publication of the White Paper on Interoperable Learning Records from the White House Data Transparency Working Group will share their perspectives about the ILR and how it can be used to help American workers “to translate their full education, training, and work experience to a record of transferable skills that will open the doors to higher wage occupations and careers.” The panel will also discuss Arizona State University and Salesforce’ Trust Learner Record (TLR) initiative as well as Maryville University’s Lifelong Learner Profile on blockchain initiative.

 

The focus of the panel discussion, however, will be interoperability and delivery mechanism. The panel will present some use cases to illustrate how education institutions in US can prepare for and accelerate blockchain adoption to help close the skills gap.  

 


Characters entered: 0
Min: Max: 1800

Select the experience level this content is best suited: *

·        Any

 

Benefits to the Ecosystem *

 

The focus of the panel discussion is interoperability and delivery mechanism. This is particularly important for the Education Architect SIG to discuss and recommend an open architecture that can incorporate the learner records of major formats that are being used today.

 

 

 

From: education-architecture-sig@... [mailto:education-architecture-sig@...] On Behalf Of Hou, Feng
Sent: Friday, October 4, 2019 11:54 AM
To: education-architecture-sig@...
Subject: Re: [education-architecture-sig] Conf call this afternoon for the proposal for Hyperledger Global Forum

 

Working on it now. Thanks @Taylor!

 

From: education-architecture-sig@... [mailto:education-architecture-sig@...] On Behalf Of Taylor Kendal
Sent: Friday, October 4, 2019 11:52 AM
To: 
education-architecture-sig@...
Subject: Re: [education-architecture-sig] Conf call this afternoon for the proposal for Hyperledger Global Forum

 

We will surely have enough representation (and no shortage of good ideas), so I agree with submitting both (or more depending on capacity). @Feng, I'll have time this afternoon to fine-tune if you can get the scaffolds stood up.

 


Hou, Feng
 

Hi Phil K,

 

It’s nice to hear from you and your comment re. Trust is duly noted. But just to clarify, my comment wasn’t referring to the Trust Learner Record (TLR) per se, which was why I intentionally used lower case for learner record. I am curious how we can even define a learner record without some generally accepted definition, trust or not? Can learners define learner records by themselves or use a universal knowledge unit such as a badge? I am interested in hearing from Alex and Sharon since they both participated in the White Paper on Interoperable Learner Records.

 

Thanks!

 

Feng   

 

From: education-architecture-sig@... [mailto:education-architecture-sig@...] On Behalf Of Phil Komarny via Lists.Hyperledger.Org
Sent: Friday, October 4, 2019 7:18 PM
To: education-architecture-sig@...
Cc: Phillip Long <pdlong2@...>
Subject: Re: [education-architecture-sig] Conf call this afternoon for the proposal for Hyperledger Global Forum

 

The word ‘Trust’ is one word we should consider not omitting from whatever this is called someday. 

 

What we are doing is cataloging learning/knowledge/skills - but in a Trusted way. 

 

The value of this approach will be due to the ‘trust’ in the data as much as what the data represents itself. 

 

That’s the innovation, IMO. 

 

P2



On Oct 4, 2019, at 6:49 PM, Hou, Feng <fhou@...> wrote:



Hi Phil,

 

This is fascinating to me, so thanks for sharing! I too have been thinking if the “learner record” itself is the correct term because it is extremely difficult if not impossible to define. To me, the correct term should be universal knowledge unit as defined by subject experts with clearly defined learning objects and outcomes. What we may still need, however, is the inclusion of the skills such as soft skills achieved outside of the classroom, things like organizing a large event to demonstrate leadership skills, etc. I think Universal Knowledge Unit (UKU) is much more manageable, it can be standardized and therefore tokenized, which is another topic by itself.

 

Thanks!

 

Feng

 

 

 

From: Phillip Long [mailto:pdlong2@...]
Sent: Friday, October 4, 2019 4:43 PM
To: education-architecture-sig@...; Hou, Feng <fhou@...>
Subject: Re: [education-architecture-sig] Conf call this afternoon for the proposal for Hyperledger Global Forum

 

Feng: I would suggest introducing the idea that the methods used the ‘delivery system’ (that, for me needs a little unpacking to clarify what we mean by the delivery system) should also attend to the privacy requirements that are a strength of the blockchain approach. 

 

I have to say I’m a little unsure as to how the inclusion of skills into the trusted learner record or lifelong learner profile actually operates as a vector to close the skills gap. I understand and I thing both ASU and Maryville believe that this is essential data that the individual can leverage to more effectively present their capabilities to prospective employers and or professional develop programs. That’s especially true if it they are verifiable skills, associated with evidence of their demonstration. 

 

But however creative we document and provide verifiable narrative justification to individuals, learners or workers, it is the job of applications that work from learner/worker records that have the opportunity to potentially highlight skills individuals lack and need to be developed. Thus the blockchain and the learner record or profile is an essential catalyst to make more tangible the steps individuals need to address, and conversely surface the training and academic programs needed to meet these gaps. 

 

Cheers,

  Phil

 

Phillip D. Long, P.D.,

Special Advisor & Faculty Affiliate

Arizona State University

---

Center for New Designs in Learning & Scholarship, (CNDLS)

Senior Fellow Georgetown University
e: pl673@...
Tw/Telegram: @RadHertz
---
RHz Consulting, LLC
Founder
e:Phil@...

 

 

 

 




On Oct 4, 2019, at 4:40 PM, Hou, Feng <fhou@...> wrote:

 

All

 

This is my first draft for the proposal. Obviously, I need help to review, edit, or even re-write either part of it or the entire thing. I plan to incorporate whatever the comments I’ll receive and send it in by 5:00PM PST. I also encourage we all to submit proposals of your own if you have any topics that can help our SIG.

 

Thanks in advance!

 

Feng

 

Abstract Title*

 

How to use blockchain as a facilitating technology to close the skills gap?

 

Abstract*

 

A group of leading experts in education blockchain will discuss how blockchain can be used as a facilitating technology to close the skills gap that has become a major challenge for higher education in US. Two panelists, who were involved directly in the recent publication of the White Paper on Interoperable Learning Records from the White House Data Transparency Working Group will share their perspectives about the ILR and how it can be used to help American workers “to translate their full education, training, and work experience to a record of transferable skills that will open the doors to higher wage occupations and careers.” The panel will also discuss Arizona State University and Salesforce’ Trust Learner Record (TLR) initiative as well as Maryville University’s Lifelong Learner Profile on blockchain initiative.

 

The focus of the panel discussion, however, will be interoperability and delivery mechanism. The panel will present some use cases to illustrate how education institutions in US can prepare for and accelerate blockchain adoption to help close the skills gap.  

 


Characters entered: 0
Min: Max: 1800

Select the experience level this content is best suited: *

·        Any

 

Benefits to the Ecosystem *

 

The focus of the panel discussion is interoperability and delivery mechanism. This is particularly important for the Education Architect SIG to discuss and recommend an open architecture that can incorporate the learner records of major formats that are being used today.

 

 

 

From: education-architecture-sig@... [mailto:education-architecture-sig@...] On Behalf Of Hou, Feng
Sent: Friday, October 4, 2019 11:54 AM
To: education-architecture-sig@...
Subject: Re: [education-architecture-sig] Conf call this afternoon for the proposal for Hyperledger Global Forum

 

Working on it now. Thanks @Taylor!

 

From: education-architecture-sig@... [mailto:education-architecture-sig@...] On Behalf Of Taylor Kendal
Sent: Friday, October 4, 2019 11:52 AM
To: 
education-architecture-sig@...
Subject: Re: [education-architecture-sig] Conf call this afternoon for the proposal for Hyperledger Global Forum

 

We will surely have enough representation (and no shortage of good ideas), so I agree with submitting both (or more depending on capacity). @Feng, I'll have time this afternoon to fine-tune if you can get the scaffolds stood up.

 


Alex Kaplan
 

Thanks for the work you put into the abstract. It looked good to me.
--

Alex Kaplan

Global Leader, Blockchain and AI for Credentials

IBM Talent and Transformation

600 Anton Blvd.

Costa Mesa, CA, 92626-7221

(949) 701-2898

www.linkedin.com/in/alexkaplanibm