Feng

From: education-architecture-sig@... <education-architecture-sig@...> on behalf of David Boswell <dboswell@...>
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2019 7:12:25 PM
To: education-architecture-sig@... <education-architecture-sig@...>

Phil,

Thank you for raising these points about how to make the voting process clearer.

The wiki is a resource for the whole group and everyone in the group can get access to edit it and is welcome to do so.  If anyone sees ways to improve the wiki, please feel free to make edits.  I edited the Elections page to update it and provide steps on how to vote.

And as you point out, there is some confusion with needing two accounts to edit the wiki and to join the mailing list.  There is a Linux Foundation ID that is used for most of the group's tools (such as the wiki) but currently the mailing list software is a separate login.  Ideally that will get addressed and simplified so people just need one account.

And our policy is to not auto-subscribe people to the mailing lists.  For people who added their name to the Members page, instructions about how to join the mailing list were sent out to them when the group was launched and they could choose to be on the mailing list or not.  I also just updated the Members page with mailing list subscription information.

If you see other ways to improve the process, please let us know.

Thanks,
David

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 3:16 PM Phillip Long <pdlong2@...> wrote:
David: I’m getting a little concerned that the website doesn’t seem to have the link that takes people to the vote. You still have to have a hyperledger “lists" account to be able to exercise your vote.  However, I would have thought that we would want to make it as easy as  possible for people to get to the voting page. There is a link to EASIG Leadership Election,  on the EASIG site but all I can see is a statement by Feng as follows:

"I'd suggest that we start the open period tomorrow (11/8/2019) for 7 days for those of you who are interested to put your names on the ballot. After the 7th day (11/15/2019), I'll ask David Boswell to help set up an election poll and keep it running for 2 days till 11/17/2019 for the EASIG members to vote. David will announce the election results at the end of the 2nd day.“

That’s an older note about our discussions on the process, and not the vote itself. It ends on how to nominate someone.

If you go to the link in the email you or if someone sends the link in email to you, will get a a message that says you’re not a member of the group, aka the ‘lists’ email group.  You have to subscribe to email lists group and refresh your browser pointing to the voting page. Now you can login and vote. But you won’t get that link if you aren’t on the list to begin with. That’s a bit of a Catch-22.

I realize some of the complexity can’t be avoided given the software that is being used. You have to have two accounts, etc. But I do think it is problematic that, at least as far as I can tell, the EASIG website does not have a clear statement of the process and explicit instructions of what you need to do to get to the voting page.

Here is what one of the people that talked to me about their difficulty in figuring out how to vote. They listed what they did to explain their experience:

"For reference, I have an account here:
and am listed on this page:
However, I was not subscribed to:
I found out about the vote from another member and went through these steps to vote:
1- Add a https://lists.hyperledger.org/ Account, it appears this is a different account than the wiki site.
2- Subscribe to the education-architecture-sig@... list

And now when someone does that they can see the list of candidates with the radio buttons to vote."

I’m concerned that we might be less inclusive that we should be in our openness by not having clear instructions on the EASIG site for joining and to express one's voting preferences.

I think there is an easy remedy for this. I suggest we add a voting tab to the vertical navigation page for the EASIG webite. On it we say “how to vote” with clear instructions that voting is a two-step process. Follow that with list of instructions. I would explain that voting commenced on whatever date it was opened. Finally it would conclude saying voting will remain open until Thanksgiving Holiday Wed. Feb. 26th at xxx time of xxx timezone. So there is at least a weekend and three days for word to circulate.

David, what do you, and for rest of the group think about taking these actions ASAP?

Regards,
  Phil

Phillip D. Long, P.D.,
Special Advisor & Faculty Affiliate
Arizona State University
---
Center for New Designs in Learning & Scholarship, (CNDLS)
Senior Fellow Georgetown University
e: pl673@...
Tw/Telegram: @RadHertz
---
RHz Consulting, LLC
Founder
e:Phil@...

On Nov 21, 2019, at 3:56 PM, David Boswell <dboswell@...> wrote:

Steps to take to sign up to the list:

* The first thing to note is that this is an open group and anyone can sign themselves up.  If someone is interested in what this group is doing, please feel free to join us.

* To sign up to the group's mailing list, please go to the mailing list page at the link below.  When they get there, click on the 'Join This Group' button and then they are subscribed.

* This is linked to on the group's main wiki page in the 'Communication Channels' section with the link 'subscribe'.  That wiki page is at:

* People can also find out about this group by going to the main www.hyperlegder.org site.  Under the Community navigation item there is a link to 'Join a Working Group or SIG' that will take people to the wiki page.

Re: Instructions for how to subscribe to the list and take part in the poll

David Boswell

[...]

Phillip Long

[...]

I've heard some reports that people are not sure how to subscribe to the Education Architecture's mailing list and take part in the poll.  If you know of people having problems please forward this information to them.

Steps to take to sign up to the list:

* The first thing to note is that this is an open group and anyone can sign themselves up.  If someone is interested in what this group is doing, please feel free to join us.

* To sign up to the group's mailing list, please go to the mailing list page at the link below.  When they get there, click on the 'Join This Group' button and then they are subscribed.

* This is linked to on the group's main wiki page in the 'Communication Channels' section with the link 'subscribe'.  That wiki page is at:

* People can also find out about this group by going to the main www.hyperlegder.org site.  Under the Community navigation item there is a link to 'Join a Working Group or SIG' that will take people to the wiki page.

Please feel free to share any of these links and this email with anyone you think should be taking part in this group.

Thanks,
David

Nominate Feng Hou for Chair of EASIG.

praveen@...

I would like to nominate Feng Hou for Chair of EASIG.

Wish him best of luck.

Kind Regards,

Praveen Kumar

Chief Technology Officer

LookupitSolutions A division of Dualapp Technologies Pvt. Ltd.

M:91-9741123358 |O:91-080-42097099
E: Praveen@...

W:http://www.lookupitsolutions.com

Mobile app | Custom Application development | Software Integration | Web application | Designing

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Education Architecture Special Interest Group Election #poll

David Boswell

The Education Architecture Special Interest Group (EASIG) is an open community-based effort and anyone interested in the work of the group is able to join and take part.  Leadership of the group is determined by group members and we are holding an election to select the Chair and Vice-Chair.  Nominations were made on the group's mailing list and the list of people who accepted the nominations is below in alphabetical order by last name.

Information about this poll is being sent to the EASIG mailing list and anyone on that list is eligible to vote.  Please make your choice for Chair by selecting one person's name below.  The person with the most votes will be selected as Chair and the person with the second most votes will be selected as Vice-Chair.  Please also note that the poll is anonymous and we are only tracking vote counts and not who responded to the poll.

Please place your vote before the end of the day, Monday, November 25.  Vote results will be shared once the voting period is over.

For anyone questions about the election process, please see the group's charter at:

https://wiki.hyperledger.org/display/EASIG/EASIG+Charter

Thank you for voting. Results will be available when the poll is closed.

Re: nomination

jjoseph@...

Thanks, John