Date

Moving the Hyperledger Education Architecture SIG to inactive status

David Boswell

I wanted to send a note to the list to let everyone know that we've moved the Education Architecture Special Interest Group to inactive status.  This is to let new people who come across the group understand that there aren't currently active discussions and meetings taking place.

Nothing that the group has done so far will be removed and everything is still available on this list and on the wiki.  And if there is interest in the future in reactivating the group, we can certainly do so.  There are interesting things happening with blockchain in the education space that community members may want to collaborate on at some other time.

If anyone has any questions about this, feel free to respond to this post or reach out to me directly.

Thanks,
David

Re: Standards for Blockchain in Education #globalstandards #verifiable #blockchain #education #blockchainineducation

David Boswell

Darshana,

Thanks for reaching out to the group about what Snapper Future Tech is doing with blockchain in the education space and that's great to hear that you're interested in collaborating and engaging with others who are also interested in this topic.

As you've probably noticed, this group hasn't had much activity lately and it would be great to get more discussions going.  I would encourage anyone else on the list to also share about what you're doing in this space and ideas for how we could be collaborating.

The Chair of the group will also be following up with thoughts about reactivating the group.  The switch to virtual learning that happened earlier this year due to the pandemic took a lot of people away from thinking about the topic of blockchain in education, but now that many of those remote learning challenges have been worked through this could be a good time to reboot activity here in this group.

Thanks,
David

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 7:56 AM <darshana.jain@...> wrote:
Hi,
I am Darshana Jain, CEO, Snapper Future Tech.
Our company is creating hyperledger based products in the Education domain.
I am keen to restart activity on this group and brainstorm, collaborate and engage with like minded companies, people.

Learning Credential platforms are trending, there are several companies building these solutions.
There are standards being proposed for Blockchain in Education in Europe. I Would love to have views on this.

The other business domains with the hyper ledger SIG which have created / working on setting standards.

Lets work together towards creating Global standards for Blockchain in Education.
I am happy to volunteer time to lead the effort in this domain.

Re: Standards for Blockchain in Education #globalstandards #verifiable #blockchain #education #blockchainineducation

Bobbi

Hello,

Please join the Hyperledger Learning Materials Working Group TODAY Monday October 19th, 2020 at 1pm (EDT).

New Zoom Link:
 https://zoom.us/j/95064677643?pwd=ZlZVbWRJUmhReGZoVzdoWFh0NmVCdz09

Meeting ID: 950 6467 7643
Password, it is:244020

Visit THE LMD'S  HOMEPAGE to see what we are up to and to learn how you can get involved.
 https://wiki.hyperledger.org/display/LMDWG/Learning+Materials+Development+Working+Group

Talk soon,

Bobbi Muscara

TSC Member
Chair Hyperledger Learning Materials Working Group
Ledger Academy

Hi,

darshana.jain@...

Hi,
I am Darshana Jain, CEO, Snapper Future Tech.
Our company is creating hyperledger based products in the Education domain.
I am keen to restart activity on this group and brainstorm, collaborate and engage with like minded companies, people.

Learning Credential platforms are trending, there are several companies building these solutions.
There are standards being proposed for Blockchain in Education in Europe. I Would love to have views on this.

The other business domains with the hyper ledger SIG which have created / working on setting standards.

Lets work together towards creating Global standards for Blockchain in Education.
I am happy to volunteer time to lead the effort in this domain.

Re: Connected Impact: Unlocking Education and Workforce Opportunity Through Blockchain #education

Taylor Kendal

Thanks Sharon and congrats!
Having been involved in some of the early seeds of this work, it’s inspiring and gratifying to see the progress...one might call it connected impact :)

In a word, I would say this report is approachable. Not oversimplified but also not too heavy on technobabble—all while keeping learner success at the center—Goldilocks Principle in full effect.

This is a great example of the outputs needed to bring our shared work down to earth for the broadest possible audience. Looking forward to the next phase of pilot support.

Pass along praises to Kerrie, Harold, Louis, and the entire ACE team as well.

-Taylor

Congratulations Sharon, It's interesting.

Thanks
Kamlesh

Re: Connected Impact: Unlocking Education and Workforce Opportunity Through Blockchain #education

Kamlesh Nagware

Congratulations Sharon, It's interesting.

Thanks
Kamlesh

Re: Connected Impact: Unlocking Education and Workforce Opportunity Through Blockchain #education

Hou, Feng

Hi Sharon,

Thank you very much for sharing! This is indeed an exciting news and congratulations to you and Kerri for the final release! I have just quickly glanced through the report but am looking forward to reading it again later today.

Now that the report has been released, I’d like to ask that you and Kerri to share youe thoughts at our next EASIG meeting. It’ll be very interesting to all members in the group.

Thanks again!

Feng

De: <education-architecture-sig@...> en nombre de "Phillip Long via lists.hyperledger.org" <pdlong2=asu.edu@...>
Responder a: "education-architecture-sig@..." <education-architecture-sig@...>
Fecha: martes, 19 de mayo de 2020, 2:39
Para: "education-architecture-sig@..." <education-architecture-sig@...>

I'm sure the emergence of Covid-19 deeply distracted most us, diverting our attention and time away from the ideals and hopes that attracted most of us to EASIG. Feng asked us to consider the role EASIG can play to make credentialing in its broadest sense useful to learners and workers.  This has led me to reflect on the future for EASIG as it was initially conceived.

There are many groups sponsoring talks, webinars, and tutorials on the possible uses of blockchains associated with identity. Use cases proposed include covid-19 immunity passports, Trust Over IP governance, and the role of verifiable credentials using SSI to assist in the (re)employment of and up-skilling of current workers. But these aren’t mainstream ‘educational’ uses of blockchain in simply representing achievements acquired through the course of traditional educational programs.

The W3C Credential Verification specification uses blockchain for SSI, but beyond that it’s not required. It can be used, and it can provide an immutable log file of publicly viewable credential assertion transactions, but if privacy advocates and legislation like GDPR and COPPA limit what can go on-chain to publicly sharable data to avoid discovery of identity through correlated data, then the value for it in the educational context may be diminished.

My hope had been that the security of private permissioned blockchains could be shown to have the same level, indeed from my perspective given the decentralized design, even greater level of privacy than traditional databases. This seemed to offer a platform for curating an individual’s  lifelong records of achievements, skllls and competencies. Further, 1-way hashing of records or variables on-chain coupled with destroying the associated key would render such data effectively undiscoverable and if found unreasonably costly to try and decrypt (given you're contending with both the hash and the underlying encryption), thus rendering them equivalent to deletion. Some legal scholars have made this assertion. But the uncertainty that has emerged from the silence of the EU on this has led to nearly every corporate player avoiding the risk and treating even private permissioned chains as unsuitable for PII.

Shouldn't we have a clear eyed debate/discussion about this? Does the value proposition of blockchain-based records rest squarely in the domain of publicly accessible records? There surely is value in that. But is there more to be gained? Is feasible, while still protecting identity and privacy to widen space for blockchains to operate in the context of life long education? I’d welcome a robust exploration on how/whether blockchains deliver something useful for the lifelong learner where other alternatives can’t.

Feng reminded us of the EASIG Charter which listed the following goals for the EASIG:

  • Create open-source, shareable assets to reduce barriers to entry and adoption for education stakeholders
  • Explore and showcase key educational use cases of blockchain
  • Foster collaborations between academic institutions, policymakers, vendors, and other education stakeholders
  • Develop and promote the alignment of important interoperability standards in open APIs and protocols for education use cases, including from open standards bodies such as: IMS Global Learning Consortium, IEEE, W3C, PESC, etc.
  • Curate or develop professional development or technical assistance resources to support educational practitioners on approaches to applying blockchain technology across various educational use cases

Rethinking these goals, as Sharon Leu suggested,  I think would be a timely place to reboot the EASIG.

We didn’t consider cross-chain data sharing, for example, without which people are forced to consider whether their data and its utility will depend on the viability of the particular implementation. Nor have we considered the "human bridge" that might in the interim represent a pathway for cross-chain data sharing. One might consider the learner digital credential wallet hosting standards-based assertions as at least an interim way to move credentials from one blockchain network to another. These are several still emerging areas of development that are potentially of enormous value.

We haven't carefully considered or surfaced the dependency of blockchain implementations on contemporary database systems. Nearly every blockchain implementation that I’ve seen going forward outside of strictly finance and token-based projects have heavily relied on supporting non-blockchain databases (RDMBS, Document or NoSQL DBs, for example). Because blockchain search is so slow many (most?) have relied on RDBMS cache indexes to speed up query and retrieval - potentially diminishing the value of decentralization in favor of practical efficiency. Is that an inevitable price to pay for a responsive, scaled blockchain implementation or are there other ways?

Finally, the rapid emergence of DAGs, ironically a technology that’s been around since the mid 60’s, raises questions about whether they offer the value proposition initially thought unique to blockchains, but without many of the impediments, e.g., much faster transaction rates, more flexible support for large objects, the complexity and scaling concerns presented by the need for pruning false blockchain branches. Should the blockchain group expand its scope in light of these rapidly developing technologies?

Many of us, myself included were/are convinced that the value proposition for blockchains should place our focus on delivering implementations of blockchains for ‘obvious' use cases. However, because we can doesn’t mean we should. Rather it means we should be focusing on the trade-offs involved, the whether the benefits of blockchain are truly unique and worth the effort, and all in light of alternatives.

Why don't we start with the a reappraisal of the EASIG Goals based on where we sit now?

Your comments and ideas are important. Please weigh in!

Cheers

Phil - EASIG V.C.

Re: What role should EASIG play? #blockchain #education #architect #VC #verifiable credentials #blockchain #education #architect #vc #verifiable

Phillip Long

[...]

Dear EASIG Leaders,

In my recent email exchange with both Phil Long and David Boswell, I was reminded by Phil of our original goals for EASIG as listed below:
  • Create open-source, shareable assets to reduce barriers to entry and adoption for education stakeholders
  • Explore and showcase key educational use cases of blockchain
  • Foster collaborations between academic institutions, policymakers, vendors, and other education stakeholders
  • Develop and promote the alignment of important interoperability standards in open APIs and protocols for education use cases, including from open standards bodies such as: IMS Global Learning Consortium, IEEE, W3C, PESC, etc.
  • Curate or develop professional development or technical assistance resources to support educational practitioners on approaches to applying blockchain technology across various educational use cases
I was also reminded by David of an email message that Sharon had sent last November right after our kick-off meeting:

"We missed this opportunity to discuss this as a larger community during the kick off meeting for various reasons, but in retrospect, this might give us all a bit of time to reflect on the goals we initially drafted and discuss whether those are this group could uniquely accomplish."

I agree and would also like to echo what Taylor has said in his recent message that "these are extraordinary times that require patience and empathy. That said, my view is that this work is even more important now than it was pre-pandemic. New infrastructure (for better or worse) is being developed NOW and imho this group I'd like to see involved in shaping it."

In some ways, this group is involved in shaping it since we have many members in this group who are leading the charges in many education blockchain initiatives: Sharon's leadership in ACE's Education Blockchain Initiative (EBI), Alex's successful creatiion of the blockchain/Hyperledger consortium among IBM, National Student Clearinghouse, CNM and other partners, Taylor's leadership in the C-Lab in Colorado and many other initiatives, as well as ASU's Trusted Learner Network initiative that Phil is leading. I am sure that there are many others but I am just listing a few to make a point that there are a lot of exciting things happening in education blockchain; there are also plenty of opportunities for this group to take on.

The question is, however, what role EASIG can play and how we can get engaged in shaping the future for education blockchain?

Thanks!

Feng

Re: Exciting things that are happening about education blockchain!

Taylor Kendal

Thanks, Feng/David...

It is rather disappointing that a select few have been investing time/energy, but as you say, these are extraordinary times that require patience and empathy. That said, my view is that this work is even more important now than it was pre-pandemic. New infrastructure (for better or worse) is being developed NOW and imho this group I'd like to see involved in shaping it.

The ToIP Fndn as also an important milestone with endless implications for EA and the association w/ Linux seems, again, to make this group/work more (not less) critical.

I can share this recent post outlining the next phase of work in CO, which also includes a Stakeholder Action Guide. At LEF, we continue to act as a steward for the Internet of Education, supporting a growing, international network of co-labs.

I'm also supporting and presenting at Reimagine 2020, a free, 3-day blockchain event with a focus on colliding academia/industry. If anyone has interest in supporting, please let me know so I can send you the sponsor deck.

--Taylor

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 2:49 PM David Boswell <dboswell@...> wrote:
Feng,

Thank you for sharing this note and I'm looking forward to further conversations soon.  And to highlight what you say at the end of your note, everyone here is welcome to share what you've done lately with blockchain.

And thanks for sharing the results of the recent poll on the frequency of calls.  Based on that, I've cancelled the current invitation and there is no call for tomorrow.  We'll set up a new invitation soon and share those details here on the list.

Thanks,
David

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 10:09 PM Hou, Feng <fhou@...> wrote:
Dear EASIG members,

It has been a while and I sincerely hope you and your loved ones are all healthy no matter where you are. This has been a trying time and nothing is like what we have experienced before, so before I say anything else, please stay well and healthy.

Our group EASIG has been somewhat quiet even before COVID-19 pandemic but got even quieter ever since. For the past several scheduled meetings, only one or two members attended, which  led to the suggestion that maybe the group scheduled meeting was too frequent and needed to changed. I then posted a survey and asked what frequency you would choose. Only four members responded and all chose to change the group meeting to quarterly with one in-person meeting at a national education event such as EDUCAUSE. I am letting you know that I’ll work with David to get the meeting schedule updated.

However, besides the reason that every member has been busy and could not attend the meetings, there must have been other reasons for the lack of participation. David and I have had a couple of discussions about this, I told him that I would share with you my plan to revitalize this group, but if it still does not work, I agreed to temporarily suspend the group.

EASIG currently has 78 registered members representing a wide range of education related communities from US Department of Education, some of the largest universities in US like ASU, WGU and USNH, and some of the largest corporations in US such as IBM, Salesforce and Oracle. We have members from quite a few countries other than US. Many EASIG members are well known leaders in education blockchain. I am very grateful for all of you for your interest in EASIG.

EASIG is listed on Hyperledger Community under Linux Foundation, but we are not limited to hyperledger, it is about education blockchain in general, and blockchain architecture for education in particular. Many people including myself believe that this year of 2020 will be the year when education blockchain will take off with many killer dApps. I can’t wait for that to happen.

So, here are some exciting things that have just occurred about education blockchain: first, on April
22, Sharon Leu, Karri Lemoie and Dr. Joe May, Chancellor of Dallas Community College District joined with ACE for a webinar “Exploring How Blockchain Can Play A Role in Learning Continuity during COVID-19”. It is indeed fascinating to hear them discuss the value of blockchain in education.    Many of you may have joined the webinar, but if you did not, you can watch the video recording from Vimeo:

Another interesting thing that has happened is my interview with University Business which was published on April 21 with the title “Betting on Blockchain”. I did not pick this title, trust me. I was discussing how critical it was to verify learning achievements and indeed learning itself since most of the schools in US have moved classes online. If you are interested, you can read the interview on University Business website: https://universitybusiness.com/betting-on-blockchain/

BTW, I have learned that ACE’s EBI report will be release at the end of this month. I am looking forward to finding out all of the blockchain services that are available today for our students.

So, there are so many exciting things going on to promote the blockchain adoption in education. I would like to ask all of you to share what you have done lately about blockchain. We can make this group more interesting if we are all willing to share the exciting events that you are leading or involved with.

As for how we can revitalize EASIG? I’ll share with you in another email so stay tuned.

Thanks and stay well!

Feng

--

Taylor Kendal

[...]

Cancelled Event: EASIG community call #cal-cancelled

education-architecture-sig@lists.hyperledger.org Calendar <education-architecture-sig@...>

Cancelled: EASIG community call

This event has been cancelled.

When:
Thursday, 16 January 2020
10:00am to 11:00am
(UTC-08:00) America/Los Angeles
Repeats: Every 2 weeks on Thursday

Where:
https://zoom.us/my/hyperledger.community

Meeting agendas can be found at: https://wiki.hyperledger.org/display/EASIG/EASIG+Meetings

Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/my/hyperledger.community

Or iPhone one-tap : US: +16465588656,,4034983298# or +16699006833,,4034983298#

Or Telephone: Dial (for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location): US: +1 646 558 8656 or +1 669 900 6833 or +1 855 880 1246 (Toll Free) or +1 877 369 0926 (Toll Free) Meeting ID: 403 498 3298

International numbers available: https://zoom.us/u/bAaJoyznp ( https://www.google.com/url?q=https://zoom.us/u/bAaJoyznp&sa=D&ust=1575934785645000&usg=AOvVaw0BiTWrjxxWd_w8P3qXBwzl )

Upcoming Event: EASIG community call - Thu, 05/07/2020 10:00am-11:00am #cal-reminder

education-architecture-sig@lists.hyperledger.org Calendar <education-architecture-sig@...>

Reminder: EASIG community call

When: Thursday, 7 May 2020, 10:00am to 11:00am, (GMT-07:00) America/Los Angeles

[...]

1 - 20 of 234